Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Apartment Hunting for Social Single Gal

Default Re: Apartment Hunting for Social Single Gal

Looks like I'm a little late to the show but for me Miami Beach has turned out to be the perfect place to move. It is extremely walkable whether it is to get groceries, go to the bar, or head out to the beach. I have street parking and it really has not been a huge issue. I am usually able to park right in front of my building and if not I can always find a spot within a block or two.

Like most other members I would recommend you stay away from the craigslist ads they are just so very untrustworthy. I went through several different realtors before I found the one that was perfect for me. Some of them I don't even think have ever visited South Beach one of them had the gall to say that nobody has dogs on the Beach. I still get spam email from some of them. Eventually I hooked up great realtor who ended up finding me a great place at a decent price with a good landlord. I got the place site unseen which is usually a terrible idea, but thanks to having such a great realtor I was able to mitigate that problem to a large extent.
    Indian Barbie likes this.

Thank you Maria. I have so far talk to two realtors Maria and they both will not steer me to Coconut Grove. They all want to steer me to the 1,700 a month apartments that are in Brickell that are way out of my price range.

I was wondering I saw an add for someone looking for a roommate and they live on 60th & Collins. Can anyone tell me about this area? I know Collins is a main road but I don't think I have been up to 60th. I want to make sure it close to a lot of things like grocery stores & restaurants. It is only for a couple of months and that should give me sometime to see the rest of Miami and find an apartment on my own. I thought this was a good idea because I don't want to get stuck in a city I hate for 4years like I did when I lived in Seattle. I have never lived with anyone ever and I am wondering if you have some suggestions on what kind of commitment I should give them and if I should ask for references, etc...

http://www.terramiamibeach.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Barbie View Post
    Thank you Maria. I have so far talk to two realtors Maria and they both will not steer me to Coconut Grove. They all want to steer me to the 1,700 a month apartments that are in Brickell that are way out of my price range.
    Keep looking for one that will accommodate your needs ... Maybe rlshea could recommend his realtor? Or check the one Perri recommended.

I wish I had my realtor's license, honestly. It pisses me off when our members get shafted or led astray.

I was wondering I saw an add for someone looking for a roommate and they live on 60th & Collins.
    60th and Collins Terra development is a nice building on two VERY busy streets, Collins & Harding. There is shopping and restaurants close by within walking or short driving distance. The beach is right across from you, but you are surrounded by tall condo buildings. You can't actually see the ocean and you have no beach access for a few blocks, unless they've made arrangements with the oceanfront condos.

All this being said, I would not recommended going with a roommate and if you do you should certainly ask for references as they should of you. You just never know what whacko you might end up moving with. Better to get a short term rental, I think, or a solo sublet.

That's a convenient area. There's a Publix up on like 85th or so and a Walgreen's nearby. And if it's only for a while you can deal with it being a bit of a drive from the freeway. I like that area of town, but its relative inaccessibility is its major drawback.

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    Keep looking for one that will accommodate your needs ... Maybe rlshea could recommend his realtor? Or check the one Perri recommended.

I wish I had my realtor's license, honestly. It pisses me off when our members get shafted or led astray.
    Hi Maria and Indian Barbie,

I'm very surprised that the realtors steered Indian Barbie away from Coconut Grove cos of "safety issues". I have been there a few times, and i thought that it was a nice safe area... Of course, I was visiting my friends' homes - they were houses though. I like that each house has its own style, i.e. they don't have to be color-coordinated like in the Gables. LOL. My friends really like living there cos it's near and in between Brickell, Downtown and the Gables where they work. also, they are family-oriented and the park and hospital is nearby. Thus, i can't see why it's a dangerous area... in any case, Indian Barbie being a single social gal, what I know about Coconut Grove from friends who live there isn't helpful to her. oh well, from my one experience in Coconut Grove around the Monty's area, i would say that people are rather friendly. I wanted to go to Coco walk area (forgive me if I got the name wrong - still new here and was there only once), and someone I met while asking for directions gave me a ride.

My friends who are single and/or social and have cars tend to live in Brickell, Miami Beach or South Beach. I live in the Gables (close to South Miami) just cos I want to be close to my workplace. I don't have a car and generally dislike commuting. For sure Brickell, Miami Beach and South Beach are much more happening than the Gables. But where I live suits my needs very well, and I'm not exactly looking to meet new people.

Given my limited knowledge of Miami as a new transplant, it seems that Brickell, South Beach and Miami Beach might suit your needs.
    The realtor whom I used is Angie. She was recommended to me by a local here in Miami before I moved here. She was extremely helpful. Give her a call or email and let her know what your needs are and she should be able to giv you some advice. Over here, u should only start looking seriously at the rentals about a month before your move-in date. The landlord does not hold the place for u for more than that. But it is good to look around and do your homework about the areas that would be suitable for you beforehand so that you can have a more focused search.

Angelica M. Chiru
    REALTOR Associate
    Keller Williams Realty
    1680 Meridian Av. #101
    Miami Beach, FL 33139
    Cell: (305) 778-3462
    Fax: (786) 237-3442
    angelica.chiru@kw.com

Maria - Btw, just wanted to say that Angie even helped me get an English-speaking part-time housekeeper who charges very reasonably. Thus, Angie really made my transition to Miami much smoother and easier.

Thank you so much Pierri for you all your insight. I will give Angie a call.

Thank you Matt for the information

Has anyone been to the Aquasol in Miami Beach. It seems affordable and everything I want. Is this area more of business area vs a residental area. Is this a older or younger crowd. How far is this area from Brickell & SouthBeach.

6770 Indian Creek Dr, Miami Beach, FL 33141Map and Directions

Well it is on 67th street in Miami Beach. South Beach is from 1st-23rd street, Mid Beach is 23rd and up to around 41st, so you are in North Beach. There's a few cute bars and a big Publix and Walgreens but not much else up there. I would say it is residential with a few hotels thrown in.
    Brickell is about a 20 minute drive away over the bridge into downtown.

Thanks Jess for your information. I have been talking to realtors and no one seems to be very honest about the Coconut Grove area & they won't even show me anything in the area Maria lives in. I think they keep telling me these areas are bad so I will spend 1,700 on an apartment in Brickell. I feel very taken advantage of since I am not a local. My price range is anywhere from a 1,000-1,500. My ideal is 1,300. They keep telling me I won't get much for that amount of money but I can't imagine everyone in Miami is spending 1,700 on rent with the economy being bad. Has anyone lived at the Flamingo? I hear it is pretty bad and is full of party people. Is that true? They have many different price ranges. I thought about living there for a month until I can find something better. Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide. Does Miami have a apartment rental search company vs using realtors? I used one in Seattle and Minneapolis and they were very helpful.

Have you tried just going to neighborhoods you like and walking around looking for "for rent" signs? That might be the best way to find a place, especially if they won't show you anything in South Miami!

Preferred Member

Indian Barbie,

If u are thinking of renting something short-term or find a roommate if you don't mind UM students, u can check out this housing database and see if there's anything suitable. There are also, apartments/small houses for rental listed for your own occupancy. They may be the cheaper type cos they tend to be less fancy and cater to the more budget-conscious students.

https://public.cgcent.miami.edu/off-...frmSearch.aspx

https://www6.miami.edu/housing/pdfs/...r_June2011.pdf

While this is info provided to UM students who want to live outside campus, I think the info. is general enough to be useful for UM non-students as well. I found some of the info here useful for doing my background research on housing options here: http://www.miami.edu/sa/index.php/re...sing_handbook/

This page also gives you a description of the various neighborhoods: https://www6.miami.edu/housing/pdfs/...ghborhoods.pdf

Another good source of looking for rentals is realtor.com

I did my background search using the above resources and decided where I wanted to live so that when I eventually started seriously searching for apartments, I was focused on the zipcode and area I wanted and I told my realtor, Angie what I wanted. I did not have the time to do a house-hunting trip and Angie did everything and showings for me via video and email and phone.

It is possible to find apartments in the price range you want, but you have to be prepared that they are old buildings with little amenities, like just a small swimming pool and sauna (or none) , laundry facilities, no doorman, just locked doors with intercomm, and no gym facilities.

Thanks Doug but I don't live in Miami. I am currently in Minnesota or else I would do that.

Thank you Perri for the information. What would you say is the average price for an apartment in a nice area in Miami? Is it really 1,700?

Thank you Patrick. I sent you an email.

Thanks Doug but I don't live in Miami. I am currently in Minnesota or else I would do that.
    ..and an exploratory trip just isn't possible, huh? In that case, it looks like a realtor is the best way to go.

I also came from Minnesota and could not make an exploratory search. I ended up having to rent sight unseen (which I do not recommend) but the realtor was able to help me find a place within my budget. She even offered to go to the place to take extra pictures for me. I think at a minimum you should be able to expect your realtor to look at the place for you to make sure there are not any major problems.

I think I sent you my realtor's information give her a call and tell her your budget. I got a decent sized 1 br for under $1200 just a couple of blocks from Lincoln and only a 4 block walk to the beach. I made the move in June which probably helped keep my price down a little bit, but I still cannot imagine you would have too difficult of a time finding a place for under $1500.

You can find a decent 1 BR here for $1000 easy. The realtors are not being upfront with you, and that's f-ed up, if you axe me. You may want to look for ones who specialize in Coconut Grove, although there are REALLY bad parts of that area. So do a google images map thingy for it and see how the area looks before even thinking about renting.

North Beach to Brickell is actually more like half an hour in regular traffic. Rush hour its closer to 45. Getting to the highway is a serious pain there. It can be done in less time if there's no traffic, but that's only during off hours.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast