Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Apartment Hunting for Social Single Gal

Default Re: Apartment Hunting for Social Single Gal

They just always say. Why would you want to live there? when I mentioned the area Carlos lives. They tell me Coconut Grove is dangerous. They said Miami Beach is too much of an older crowd and not for me. They said the only place I will want to live is South Beach or Brickell.

yah - this is another reason why I don't advocate using realtors for apt. rentals. It is not their job (or their business) to know why you want to live there, nor impose their own opinions on you. Their job is solely to do what the client requests - provide a service to find apartments in the area(s) you have specified, by doing the legwork so you don't have to.

I can't stand being put in the position of having to 'insist', or argue with someone to do the job they are supposed to be doing, yet that is what winds up happening....somehow they seem to "know better" than I do, what it is that *I* want. That just gives me agida, it does not find me a place to live; if that's how they wanna roll, I can (and did, after trying two realtors against my own better judgement) find a place more easily myself.

it seems to me like this one wants to 'steer you' - to THE most expensive areas with the highest rents. Because they would of course, earn higher commissions on more expensive places..... or possibly buildings or mgmt. companies that give them an extra incentive for bringing clients to "their" buildings.
    Last edited by Catt; 01-25-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catt View Post
    yah - this is another reason why I don't advocate using realtors for apt. rentals. It is not their job (or their business) to know why you want to live there, nor impose their own opinions on you. Their job is solely to do what the client requests - provide a service to find apartments in the area(s) you have specified, by doing the legwork so you don't have to.

I can't stand being put in the position of having to 'insist', or argue with someone to do the job they are supposed to be doing, yet that is what winds up happening....somehow they seem to "know better" than I do, what it is that *I* want. That just gives me agida, it does not find me a place to live; if that's how they wanna roll, I can (and did, after trying two realtors against my own better judgement) find a place more easily myself.

it seems to me like this one wants to 'steer you' - to THE most expensive areas with the highest rents. Because they would of course, earn higher commissions on more expensive places..... or possibly buildings or mgmt. companies that give them an extra incentive for bringing clients to "their" buildings.
    There doesn't seem to be any options besides using realtors since I don't live in Miami. If you know of any other resources please let me know.

good old-fashioned legwork!

when i was planning to move here, I came for a 'vacation/research visit' - while here i looked in the classifieds & walked around in the neighborhoods I liked, looking for 'for rent' signs and viewing apartments - which is how I got the place where I now live. Many places do things the "old-school" way, and just don't advertise, so they would not have been listed in the classifieds or realtor listings anyway.

When I did finally make the move, I decided i'd go ahead & give a realtor a try, both because of the advice given here, and because I thought they might be able to do better, as professionals, than I could on my own.

The first one was so rude/full of attitude on the phone I didn't even want to meet with him. The 2nd one I contacted kept sending me E-mails for listings that were way above my budget, not the kind of apt. I advised them I was looking for, and not in the areas i told them I was interested in; I eventually just ignored them - total waste of my time. The 3rd one I went to, (a large company with offices in all the different SoFl cities) did not have any listings that were not already on Craigslist or in the classifieds - every listing he had, I had already seen.

Nonetheless, I decided to work with that one; and did have him set up a viewing for me; after which i never heard from him again...... despite keeping our agreement that i call him immediately after viewing it to let him know how it went; which he did not answer, and never called me back after that voicemail or two follow-up calls. good thing I decided i didn't want that apartment anyhow, cause I would never have gotten it if I had depended upon the realtor.

so after trying that, and looking at several other apts. as well, I ultimately did get the same place I had initially seen on my research trip using the old-fashioned "pounding the pavement" method -

in the end I concluded that these rental realtor services are a crapshoot. Yes, there are good, professional ones, who provide excellent service, do have the renter's best interest in mind, and do their job with integrity - but there are just as many who don't, and I'm personally just not interested in doing all the work it takes to find a good one, when what they do is really nothing better than i can do on my own (and in fact, actually would have held me back had I depended on them.) I figure if i have to do all that work just to find a good realtor, I may as well put that same energy directly into finding my place, and eliminate the middleman/extra layer of bureaucracy.

i do realize, and respect the fact that, not everybody may have time nor resources to come here and spend time researching, contacting, and viewing apartments; and i understand some folks are willing to deal with having to keep weeding out crappy realtors until they find a good one.

but at the same time, i also think that if someone is planning to move to a new city, part-and-parcel of the moving process is making sure they 'build in' time and resources to research it thoroughly, in-person, before moving. imho, if that's not built-in to the moving process, including the financial plan, one is not ready to move.

having said that - Barbie if I was in your position, I'd have a simple straightforward conversation with this realtor. I would re-iterate the desired neighborhoods I am looking for, and ask them directly if they are willing to show you apartments in those areas, or not.

If they get the message, and do so, great. If they say no, or continue to try to change your mind based on their opinion, or steer you towards what they want, I'd thank them, advise that their services are no longer needed - and find another realtor who will work with you.
    Last edited by Catt; 01-25-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks Catt! You have explained exactly what I have been dealing with. That is why I have decided to come out to check out the area. I am planning on taking a tour of Miami while I am there and hopefully then i will find an area I want to live and will start pounding the pavement. If I can't find anything on my own then I will be having a straight forward conversation with my realtor . Are there any local miami websites that list apartments for rent?

none that i know of Barbie - i only know of Craigslist and the Miami Herald classifieds.

however, when you're here, please feel free to PM me, i'd be happy to give you a ride around the neighborhoods, or give you a hand with whatever else might be useful, i know how difficult it can be when you're not familiar with the streets & addresses in a new place.

I am looking forward to starting my apartment search in the next two days. Please let me know if you think of any areas besides Brickell & South Beach I should look at before I leave. I still am hoping to check out the Grove and Coral Gables.

Look at midtown too.

I took the city tour & it was fabulous! Great job Miami411! Derrick was our tour leader and he was great! Truly a nice person! I feel in love with Coral Gables and Coconut grove. I also like the West Ave area where Barton G is located. Out apartment hunting today. Wish me luck !

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Barbie View Post
    I took the city tour & it was fabulous! Great job Miami411! Derrick was our tour leader and he was great! Truly a nice person! I feel in love with Coral Gables and Coconut grove. I also like the West Ave area where Barton G is located. Out apartment hunting today. Wish me luck !
    Thanks for the reviews!!!!!!!

Best of luck today!

It is official. I have finally found two areas I would love to live in. I am looking at a condo on 90th and edgewater in the Gables and a condo on 58th and collins. They are both beautiful and on the water. Let me know if you have any insight on these areas that might help me make a decision. I work from home and really only have time to go out on the weekends.

Can't say anything about the Gables area but I do know 58th and Collins very well. Beautiful area, and near to North Beach shops and bars. BUT... do you have a car? Not that it matters too much, but on 58th you have a good 8 block walk to anything resembling a social life. And SoBe is a bus ride away. Just something to consider. I know I'ld go for that, as I have to live near the beach, it is good for the soul

Hi Indianbarbie,

I'm glad you had a great time on the City Tour! With the condo on 58th, you'd be right on the beach, and pretty close to South Beach when you're off on the weekends. I'm guessing it's a nice condo building with a pool, gym, balcony etc? I don't know much about the Coral Gables location but is it more of a walkable area? If you're working from home and don't have a car you might feel a bit isolated on 58th and Collins, but you'll certainly get a nicer apt for the money than you would in South Beach.

Keep us posted!

Where are you working again, IB? because if you are working downtown the commute from Southern Coral Gables is absolutely brutal at Rush Hour. Not worth living there AT ALL. Not that getting to and from 58th and Collins isn't also a major pain in the ass, but you'll sit in less bumper to bumper and have a few more options as for how to get where you're going.

HOWEVER....if you are working in Coral Gables or somewhere south, absolutely go to 90t hand Edgewater. Beautiful area and the only real drawback is if you have to do a traditional commute.

pssssttt, matt -

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Barbie View Post
    It is official. I have finally found two areas I would love to live in. I am looking at a condo on 90th and edgewater in the Gables and a condo on 58th and collins. They are both beautiful and on the water. Let me know if you have any insight on these areas that might help me make a decision. I work from home and really only have time to go out on the weekends.

Thank you everyone. I am leaning towards the 58th and Collins. I do have a car and I work remotely so that shouldn't be an issue. If everything goes well I will be in Miami March 16th and look forward to meeting you all in person. Thank you again for all your advice and support through this transition.

I'm a bad listener. What can I say.

You'll like it up there, IB. Not a lot in walking distance, but otherwise a good part of the beach to live in.

I am going to be living around 58th & collins. Can anyone tell me if that is considered Millionaires row and why it is called that? Is it because all the millionaire condos started there? Also what body of water am I near? I know the ocean is on one side but I hear the other side referred to as the bay or the Intercoastal. My apartment views the opposite side of the ocean and I would love to know the name of the portion of water I am looking at. I am also curious what community that sits on the other side of the bay. I am facing have been told it is Indian Creek but I think Indian Creek is further up on collins. Just curious if anyone knows the area. Thanks

IB that area is called millionaires row not because of the income of folks who live there now, but because before all those condos were built, the land was the site of the mansions of many millionaires.
    rk likes this.

I believe that is the Intercoastal Waterway

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast