Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Apartment Hunting for Social Single Gal

Default Re: Apartment Hunting for Social Single Gal

I am going to be living around 58th & collins
    really?? hi neighbor! Name:  wavey.gif
Views: 228
Size:  3.2 KB

Yes I apologize I thought I told you. I loved Coral Gables but thought this might be a better place for a single girl. I hope all is well and look forward to catching up with you in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catt View Post
    really?? hi neighbor! Name:  wavey.gif
Views: 228
Size:  3.2 KB
    Catt likes this.

rk

Indian Barbie, if I understand correctly, the body of water you're looking at is Indian Creek. It's not really a creek but an inlet connected to Biscayne Bay at both ends (at the southern end near 24'th street via the man-made Collins Canal). It is not part of the Intracoastal Waterway, that runs further west in Biscayne Bay.

The neighborhood with the golf course, beyond Indian Creek, is called La Gorce. It is an artificial piece of land formed by dredging the bay back in the early 1920's, named after the well known explorer and former National Geographic editor John Oliver La Gorce who came to Miami Beach at the invitation of Carl Fisher and stayed. You are correct, the island and municipality named Indian Creek are a bit farther north, off Bal Harbour (and home to the most expensive home sold in Miami recently ($40 mil), and the most expensive still up for sale, just reduced by $8 mil to $52 mil).

Indian Creek (the body of water, not the Island) has a long boat racing history. It is the site of the first time anyone exceeded 100 mph on water anywhere. The next time you look out over Indian Creek, you may imagine this from 80 years ago:

"It was about eleven o'clock when Commodore Wood signalled the timers that he was ready to begin his two official runs, one in each direction. He took a flying start of less than half a mile and as he crossed the starting line, the time was recorded on the tape of the electric timing machine. Down the course he came, straight as an arrow, faster than any boat had ever been driven before. Steady as a locomotive, with not the sign of a jump in the boat, he approached the end of the mile in less time than it takes to tell this. Click went the timing machine recording the end of the first run. Only a moment was necessary for Mr. Porter to read off the time which had been recorded on the tape. 35.73 seconds he announced, equivalent to 100.756 miles per hour. A mighty cheer went up from the crowd one hundred miles an hour in a boat, the speed mark sought for years and years had been made."
    This excerpt is from another thread from two years ago, where you may find more of interest:

Local History and Trivia General Discussion Thread
    Last edited by rk; 03-14-2012 at 07:45 PM.
    Catt likes this.

I stand corrected. I'm leaving all academic questions to Professor RK from now on.

Matt you always make me smile . RK thank you so much for the information. I love how you know the history of the state. I have always loved Florida and I have been enjoying learning the history of FL so thank you for being such a good professor . Much Love and Respect to everyone that has helped advise me on all my silly questions .

Just wanted to let everyone know I have officially moved to Miami as of May 1rst. I LOVE it here! People are so nice and friendly in my neighborhood. I have an amazing assortment of places to shop, eat, and play. I LOVE Fresh Market it is the most perfect grocery store I have ever been too. It is not too small and not too big with great quality ingredients. I went to a dinner party the other night and there were so many people from all over the world there. It was so interesting to hear everyones cultural perspective on different topics. I love all the independent restaurants and stores. I am just hoping now to start meeting more people and socialize more if my job allows it.

Congrats! So happy you are enjoying it here!

I love Fresh Market also btw. It's fun to shop in such a colorful environment.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456