Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Apartment Hunting for Social Single Gal

Default Apartment Hunting for Social Single Gal

Thanks Christy! I am so excited to move to Miami. I have visited a couple of times but have never had a chance to meet anyone locally. I lived in Seattle for 3yrs and it was hard to build a good social group of friends. Majority of the people are married and busy with their kids. I am looking for an apartment. Do you have any suggestions? i don't want to live right in south beach because it might be too noisey but I would like to live where there are a lot of fun places to go for single ladies such as myself. I have been told to look in Cocunut Grove, Brickell, downtown Miami, & Biscayne Bay. I hope all is well and Miami is treating you good!

Default Re: Hi! Moving to Miami soon! Love the Forum!

I wouldn't look in Biscayne Bay. It's a large body of water and as far as I know no apartments have been built there.

Perhaps they mean the Biscayne Corridor, which is basically Biscayne Blvd. between Midtown and the city limit at Miami Shores. Midtown is a good area too. You may find you'll like that. May be hard to find tennis courts in that area, though. The best public courts I've been to are in Coconut Grove.

<<....."I have been told to look in Cocunut Grove, Brickell, downtown Miami, & Biscayne Bay...."......>>

Yup, the pickings are pretty slim on Biscayne Bay. There are 7 homes remaining in Stiltsville after Hurricane Andrew (14 before Andrew).
    Did you mean Key Biscayne? I don't know much about tennis, but tennis is suppoedly a big deal out there on Key Biscayne. It's a quiet area, but can be pricey $$$.

Stiltsville .....

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 11-22-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks so much for all your responses. I must have the area wrong i think it is Key Biscayne. Can anyone tell me more about Coconut Grove? I hear it is great but is it more of a family residential area? I am a single girl looking to meet other single people in their 30s. It has also been hard to get rental listings for Coconut Grove. I am finding the average 1 bedroom apartment to be around 1,500 which is more than I pay in Seattle but it seems to come with a lot of amenities. The apartment complexes look like Las Vegas hotels which would not be fun to carry groceries up 15 floors.

I really think if you are single and looking to meet other singles that brickell and South beach are your best options. SoBe doesn't have to be all about the clubs and noise. Live in a high rise along West Ave or in South of 5th and they are very quiet as they have 30 yr old professionals in them. Stay away from Art Deco buildings to avoid the party crowds. In SoBe there is always something to do, meet ups, ways to meet people and it is busy enough that even when you first move you never feel too lonely. It is also very easy to meet people here. I don't know Brickell as never lived there but it is pretty lively too, and a good bunch of 30 yr olds.
    Lastly, there are courts in the Flamingo park to play tennis in SoBe, so if you end up in a high rise along West Ave it is right nearby.

Thank you so much Jess. You have been so helpful! Do you have any suggestions on where to find an apartment?

I will be coming alone but i have a feeling some of my friends my follow . I am planning on moving in March but might be there sooner. Have you found any good apartment deals? I like the areas Jess mentioned. I wish you the best as well on your move and will hit you up once I am in town.

Default Re: Apartment Hunting for Social Single Gal

Hi Indian Barbie,

Coconut Grove, Brickell, South Beach, Coral Gables and even South Miami are good for a single woman your age. Do you know where you will be working and will you have a car? That is a huge deciding factor actually on where we can recommend you should live.

Key Biscayne is a huge tennis community and home to the Sony Erricson plus other smaller tournaments. It is a little isolated socially though from the rest of Miami.

I would not recommend the Biscayne Corridor for a single gal.

Any hi-rise condo you live in will require an elevator ride with groceries, so that's not really particular to Coconut Grove. I'm not sure what your budget is, but if you don't like hi-rise living, you might go for a lo-rise apartment in one of the nicer neighborhoods like Coral Gables, South Miami or the Grove.

The Grove is mixed residential/commercial but the spot where you would want to be would be close to the little downtown where all the action is. However if you have a car, it doesn't really matter so much.

Thank you Maria for all your assistance. I will have a car but would love to live in an area where I can walk to things easily. I lived on the water in Seattle and want to be close to the water but the hurricanes scare me. I enjoyed having the option of leaving my apartment and being able to walk to everything I need-restaurants, running paths, grocery stores, etc.... I will be working from home so I won't have a daily commute. I pay 1,000 now for my apartment now in Seattle and hoping to spend a similar amount in Miami but understand if I have to spend a little more. I use to live in a high rise apartment in Minneapolis and I loved it since it was safe and had a lot of nice ammenities. The low rise apartments scare me a little due to safety concerns.

Can you recommend the best time to move to Miami? I have the flexibility to move anytime after the new year. Is there a time of season when the rent is lower? Also is there anything I should look at to make sure the apartments are safe for hurricane season and are you required to carry some type of hurricane insurance? Do most apartments pay for your air conditioning? If not how much should I plan on my ac bill to be a month? Also can you recommend a good realtor. I will be coming to check out apartments for a couple of days but I won't have a lot of time and would love it if I could have a realtor drive me around and show me some areas since I probably won't be renting a car.

Hi, the best time would probably be around the beginning of summer. It's the low season and a lot of people go away for the summer. Although lately, it's been staying pretty busy all year round.

If you're renting, you don't have to worry about hurricane insurance or any other kind of home insurance. Maybe renter's insurance, to protect the contents of your apartment. But the apartment itself is the property of the building or unit owner so you wouldn't be responsible for hurricane damage.

As far as electricity, you may find some owners that pay it, but most of the time, you're on your own. For an average-sized one bedroom apartment, you will pay anywhere from about $60 to $130 a month...

I don't have any particular realtors I recommend, as I prefer to eliminate the middle man whenever possible! The three main ones I recall are Regatta, Chrisken and Keystone.

Hi Barbie,

To get something decent you'll have to be willing to spend $1,000-1,400 for a studio or one bed. Did you want furnished or unfurnished? If you like walking around everywhere you might like being close to Lincoln Rd and close to the Ocean. There's a sobe local bus that you can take too.

You should call Veronica to talk to a realtor-she's great! 786-318-6903. She helped me find a great first apartment in SoBe.

First impressions and your age: Brickell, South Beach, and the Grove. If you can afford it that is.

Thank you so much Doug for your information. It was very helpful. Do you have any suggestions on how to look for apartments since I know craigslist is not trustworthy but unfortunately I won't have a lot of time drive around and look for a place.

Thank you Christy for your help. I will give her a call. My only hesitation for living right is South Beach is that it might be too touristy for me. I would like to live in an area full of locals since I am looking to make friends.

Hi Indian Barbie! As far as your safety concerns go for a lo-rise, I totally understand. But many lo-rises are gated and have security. When I say lo-rise, I could be referring to a six story building as opposed to on that is 40 + stories ... there are plenty of buildings like that around town.

South Beach is full of locals. Just avoid the east side of the island. I think you would like living around West Avenue, close to Lincoln Road.

I live in South Miami now near the downtown area of this city and I love it. It is very safe for a single woman and EVERYTHING is within reach, walking distance. Shopping, groceries, banks, pharmacy, pubs, restaurants, movies, hair salon, yoga studio, metrorail station ... I mean EVERYTHING. Also, it's not touristy here and we're a stone's throw away from the university community, which is nice. South Miami is close to bayfront property. My favorite place to walk is a park just 5 minutes away with the most gorgeous view of the bay, a marina, kite boarding, paddle boarding and so on.

I wouldn't rule out Craiglist completely, because there may be individual owners there with no realtor listings. Just be very careful. You can usually tell a spam ad from a real one. If in doubt, send us a link over here and we'll check it out for you to see if it appears legit. Just don't rent sight unseen and never give money without a signed lease/contract.

I wish I had my realtor's license already ... I would help you!

Thanks Maria! I just adore you! I love reading all your insights and you are so knowledgeable! You and the other contributes have such an amazing wiliness to help others! I wish I found a forum like this when I was moving to Seattle but it is just another sign that moving to Miami will turn out great for me. I wish you had your Realtor license too. I would be a great client for you . When will you be getting your license? Remember I am not moving till March.

The area you live sounds wonderful! I have spent many hours shopping on Lincold Road and like that area a lot. My favorite vintage clothing store and eyewear shop is on Lincoln. It has been very hard to find apartment listings for that area. Is South Miami referred by any other name? Do you by any chance know what a 1 bedroom costs there?

rk

Some very good suggestions already. Based on what I think you want, I suggest looking in south beach or mid-beach. The touristy areas are the three blocks adjacent to the ocean. If you stay slightly more inland you'll be close to everything yet not in the middle of tourists. The best areas probably will be south of fifth, flamingo park neighborhood, west avenue corridor, or north of Lincoln Rd.

To get an idea of what's available and prices, check hotpads.com or realtor.com. There is a lot of variability in quality within an area so don't rent sight unseen.

Thank you RK. The pictures on realtor.com was really good.

rk

You're welcome. When searching for rentals, you'll find it very useful to restrict by zip code. The zip code for south beach is 33139, for mid-beach 33140, and for north beach 33141. Here's a map of all Miami area zip codes:

http://www.homeappraisalsflorida.com...ami%20dade.jpg

and here's another map you'll find helpful. It rates neighborhoods by "quality" (mainly safety, you can zoom and pan):

http://tinyurl.com/2btpcf2

disclaimer: these are not my maps.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast