Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Moving to Miami on a tight budget. Need to know the absolute "no-go" zones.

I'm going to be moving to the Miami area, and most likely on a VERY tight budget when it comes to buying, due to an underwater house out here in colorado. (To put into perspective, I'm expecting the absolute most I can afford will be a 140k place).

I recognize that this means I will not be living in a "good" neighborhood.

However, I also know that many of the neighborhoods can fall into the "Not Bad" category. These are what I'm looking for.

Out here in Denver/Aurora, we have a major street called Colfax, it's a "no-go" zone for at least a 1/2 mile on either side when it comes to buying. Its full of prostitutes, the worst drug dealers, etc. The area that I live in is generally poorer, but isn't really all that bad.

I guess, what I'm asking, is what are the areas that are the ones that nobody in their right mind should buy in, if they are expecting to move with family in tow.

rk

Default Re: Moving to Miami on a tight budget. Need to know the absolute "no-go" zones.

A lot depends on where you'll be working. For $140k you'll have to compromise on either size or location.

Here's a link to a map I post every so often. It shows Miami area neighborhoods color-coded by "quality". It's not precise but should give you a good idea. You can zoom and pan:

http://tinyurl.com/2btpcf2

(disclaimer: not my map)

New User

Default Re: Moving to Miami on a tight budget. Need to know the absolute "no-go" zones.

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    A lot depends on where you'll be working. For $140k you'll have to compromise on either size or location.

Here's a link to a map I post every so often. It shows Miami area neighborhoods color-coded by "quality". It's not precise but should give you a good idea. You can zoom and pan:

[link]
    (disclaimer: not my map)
    Thanks!

I definitely understand the compromise. I'm leaning heavily on the "Short Sale/Forclosure" market to mitigate that to some extent, but with my cap as it is, its still a VERY limited market.

Again, this is why I'm trying to at least avoid the dark reds on your map. Iffy on the orange, and comfortable on the yellows.
    Last edited by robert4818; 12-01-2011 at 01:32 PM.

I have a friend named Joe that did very well finding a foreclosure. He actually found one he liked in Port St. Lucie, a bit to the north. But his advice is useful for Miami-Dade as well:

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/ho...y-foreclosures

Hey Robert,

Steer clear of Liberty City! I've hear that's the most dangerous.

Hi Robert,

Most of the yellow areas are good. Hialeah isn't exactly bad as in dangerous, but not everyone speaks English... Check Miami Springs, Aventura, Doral, and parts of Kendall. You might also want to look at Broward County.

Yeah I NEVER recommend this but on your budget Kendall may be your best option. Be forewarned, you're gonna spend a lot of time in your car because it's a long way from pretty much everything, and traffic there can be brutal. But you can get something small in Kendall for that price. And it's not dangerous by any stretch.

I would look at forclosures/short sales in North Miami, Biscayne Park, Miami Shores, Unicorporated Miami Dade, Coconut Grove. You have to be careful on which areas of North Miami, but I just bought a great little house with a pool for $135k near Biscayne Park/North Miami. It took me a couple years to find it and several houses fell through but the deals are out there.

Stay away from Opa Locka, Miami Gardens, Liberty City, Overtown, much of North Miami, (I don't care for much of Haialeah) but there may be some decent areas.

If you end up buying, I know a GREAT Home inspector. He will do well by you.

Hi robert4818, welcome to the forums. Do you know where you will be working?

LauraB just recently went through the whole home buying experience, so I would definitely recommend her advice as she is fresh with information.

Laura, did you use a realtor to find your home?

I'm not sure about home prices in the following areas, but ... West Miami, which is just West of Coral Gables, is not a bad neighborhood. And there is a section of South Miami that is west of the University which is not as fancy. (There is a small ghetto area, but you wouldn't be buying there anyway). Most of the homes here are older ranch style, probably fixer-upers in some cases. South Miami is a great place to live. Also check out the Shenandoah neighborhood and the Roads, plus Coral Gate -- all border Coral Gables/Grove but are a little more working class.