Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By $onnie Golightly
  • 1 Post By Christy
  • 1 Post By Doug
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer
  • 1 Post By Blackford Oakes
  • 2 Post By Carlos Miller
  • 1 Post By coach

Thread: Am I kidding myself ? Will my African American family have a nice life living in SoBe

New User

Default Am I kidding myself ? Will my African American family have a nice life living in SoBe

I love South Beach more than I love any other place in the United States by far. Every chance that I get I travel there (approx. 10 x's per year) There is nothing about the place that I don't love.. I feel alive there is it is this where I truly belong. Since I was a little girl watching miami vice with my father I loathed of the day that I would call Miami home. Later in my adult years I learned that I die hard adore South Beach& im literally insane for the place. There is no other place in Miami that I would rather call home (not even Star island) more than SoBe! To say that I've never experienced any prejudice acts while visiting South Beach would be a complete lie, although I've never let that stop me from frequenting the place. Yet,I cant afford to have the same views when it comes to raising my family there, I definitely have to do my research when it comes to raising my african american children in a place where race isn't as vast & multi cultured as it is now in our lives in Atlanta, Georgia
    I guess what I truly am trying to ask is will we truly be accepted there? I ask for the sake of my children way more than for the sake of myself.
    As for my business & personal life Sobe is the perfect fit for my likes and interests. I am a business owner of a very prominent business and I will be opening up a 4th location there.So, as far as myself, & work Im all set for the move, yet when it come s to the happiness & well being of my children is what's making me lose sleep at night.
    If you live in south beach, I'd love a truly honest response from you!
    rk likes this.

Default Re: Am I kidding myself ? Will my African American family have a nice life living in

Hi, Welcome the the Forums!

There aren't that many families that live in South Beach. Most families prefer more suburban areas.
    $onnie Golightly likes this.

Default Re: Am I kidding myself ? Will my African American family have a nice life living in

Hi! From my perspective, South Beach is so multicultural that you would fit in very well there. But of course, I can't see the world through your eyes. I guess the only way to know is to try it! And if it doesn't work out, then you can always move somewhere else.

Raising a family in South Beach, past them being little kids, is pretty much unheard of. The kids I know who are from "Miami Beach," really grew up on one of the islands (Palm, Hibiscus, Star) or in Fisher Island. And they're LOADED. The few others grew up north of 41st, in that area. Which is nice. If you wanted to raise a family here (terrible idea, but you can't stop people I guess) you could move there and go to South Beach whenever you wanted.

That said, raising a family here is a terrible idea. I don't know ANY kids who grew up in Miami who were not at least exposed to drugs, alcohol and sex by 13. Some didn't get into it, but they all had the opportunity to. And many, many, MANY did.

Also, African-Americans may find it particularly hard here as the dominant and ruling culture - Latin culture - is especially racist against blacks. And because they are considered a "minority" by American culture, they are allowed to be a LOT more blatant in their racism. Read up on the history of Miami blacks and it's sadder than most anywhere in the nation. Also, coming from Atlanta I am to assume you know a lot of educated black people. And probably are one yourself. They do not exist in Miami. The only middle-class, educated blacks I've met here have either been visiting or in school. So culturally, it may be difficult as well.

New User

thanks for your honesty...

I always think to myself, that's if I wasn't “nicely“ loaded would I love south beach as much as I do. But then how could I truly ever know.
    Is it my financial status that makes my race/skin color easier to accept.
    Do local's/businesses/hotels/restaurants/etc. really have that view of me.
    Is money what makes me acceptable enough for Sobe to grin & b. It?
    Could I really be that blind to the fact that in so many words, Im not respected as a human being there..I can visit, but I should never become a resident of the community there. I mean really, Have I been that blind?

Not the optimnal place, but don't see a reason why it should be doomed to failure. Sure your question may be applied to several areas around ATL.

It's just a case of you applying the moral algebra and being happy and confident you can deal with the equation.

rk

Wow, I have to agree with some of everything, and yet there is no way for anyone to say for sure one way or the other. Only you can decide, and only you will know for sure after you try it. There are parts of south beach (e.g. south of fifth) which may work for you, the school there is supposedly decent. I do think you are worrying too much about other people, what they may think about you, or how they may treat you etc.. Sadly, people (esp in south beach) don't think about others one way or the other for the most part, which is both good and bad, and in general they will treat you as you treat them, so I would not not spend much time worrying about that aspect. Not sure how old the children are, but you may want to look into schools, cost of living, neighborhoods, etc.

The Beach may be a little better than the city. And if you are throwing money around people are going to be nice to you no matter what your skin color is. I'm just saying Miami is a VERY racist city. Not quite on Boston's level, but up there.

New User

RK
    Loved your view, I totally agree with your comment...
    My kids are 8 (girl) & 11 (boy). They're both attending private school here. To give you a idea of our everyday lives..
    The (african american s) are minority within my residental community & so are my children within there school. So,culturally my family has always lived outside of our cultural community. Our friends color & creed could be referred to as the rainbow tribe! My son's best bud that he reminds me daily of how much he'll miss him is of a Asian decent.. So, I know first hand that diversity can be awfully sweet.. We love life this way & I love raising my kids to have the same views in life! thats the core of whats truly important!! Your comment helped me realizing that!
    Last edited by $onnie Golightly; 01-09-2012 at 10:32 PM.

I disagree with Matt about Miami being VERY racist. It's not. He just feels uncomfortable being a minority in a city that is majority Hispanics, so he is under the impression that all non-Hispanics will feel the same.

Yes, it's true that the Latins can be racist, but you'll mostly find that in the older generations as you would find in older generations of white Americans in other cities.

It's a generational thing, not a cultural thing.

Hispanics under the age of 50 will generally not have an issue with race. There are always exceptions but that's everywhere.

The truth is, blacks play a strong role in Miami whether they are African American or Haitian American or Jamaican American. They are working the airports, driving the buses and taxis, working the government offices, policing our streets, waiting on tables, working our hospitals, etc.

A truly racist person would not be happy here.

However ....

The history of Miami hasn't been kind to blacks because when blacks throughout the United States were winning their civil rights, Cubans were fleeing communism and settling in Miami.

This meant that low-wage jobs that traditionally went to blacks began going to Cubans because they were willing to work for less and they were whiter.

And when those Cubans started receiving government loans to build businesses, which were mostly denied to blacks, they hired their own people to work.

And the problems got worse for blacks during the 1980s when more than 100,000 Cubans landed in Miami on the Mariel boatlift because once again, they were getting pushed out of the lower rung of jobs by the new arrivals.

That was one of the contributing factors that led to the four race riots we experienced during the 1980s.

And then we had the Elian Gonzalez saga in the 1990s which further divided the city.

But the city has matured a lot since those days. There is still a lot of poverty in black neighborhoods and a lot of black on black violence and a lot of tension between police and blacks, but there isn't much racism against blacks who can afford to live outside the hood.

If you can afford to live on South Beach, you are not going to have an issue with people hating on you because of your color.

But you may find people may just not care enough to welcome you to their world either but that's just because they are very self-absorbed and into their own little cliques. South Beach is not Mayberry in that sense.
    Last edited by Carlos Miller; 01-10-2012 at 03:05 AM.
    Catt and $onnie Golightly like this.

As someone who lives in South Beach, and has for nine years, I can tell you that there ARE indeed lots of families that live here. Walking up and down my neighborhood streets, I see people pushing strollers every day. Flamingo Park, which is just one street over from me, is often full of kids playing soccer or whatever. I walk or drive by schools filled with kids every day.

I find South Beach to be very eclectic and accepting, so it seems unlikely to me that you will experience much bigotry, but everyone's experience is different.

I highly recommend staying away from living on any of the main drags. Find a nice place in the Flamingo neighborhood (not the same as the Flamingo condo, which I do not recommend), or somewhere around Alton or West. Depending on your income level, there are even some cute single-family homes on the west side of Flamingo Park.