Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Southgate Towers in Miami Beach/South Beach

Does anyone have any recent information on the living conditions in this building? It seems doable for South Beach, but I wanted to see if I can find out why it is so inexpensive before I talk to them about getting a place. I'm moving at the end of May.

I also found some mid-rise buildings in North Beach around 70th/Normandy that look great from the photos. Of course, my place here in Broward looks spectacular from the photos because you can't see the rest of the neighborhood.

and sorry for the stupid screen name, I have a difficult time being creative, lol.

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Southgate Towers in Miami Beach/South Beach

Southgate is 900 West Ave correct? My friends live there, it is cheap as it is apartments, not condos. The building is ok, not the best but not the worst by any means. Is the apartment street side or Bay side? That would make a difference in price too.

70th and Normandy is going to be a pain in the ass neighborhood to live in, though, since you are so far from any major highways. If the price is anywhere near comparable I'd recommend Southgate.

Like Jess said, Southgate is certainly not bad at all. It just looks a little shabby compared to some of the gleaming newer buildings on West Ave. But if you put that building in, say, Little Havana or Coral Way it would be just fine.

Thank you for the input. There were some terrible ratings on Apartment Ratings for the Southgate Towers, but they also look like at least 4 of them were written by the same person. I was just worried about the complaints that there was a huge mold problem and that you couldn't get renters insurance in that building (I have emailed my renters ins. co. and asked them if they have a blacklist or if that is a rumor). This forum is always a source of decent information.

I just have the huge concern because of the huge deposit there

Matt, you sort of confirmed what I was thinking about the places at 70th/Normandy. When I first lived in Los Angeles I commuted from Brentwood to Los Feliz but didn't mind the drive at all, probably because it is through the city and you can stop at Starbucks or whatever if you get tired of sitting in traffic. But then I got this bright idea to save a couple of bucks a month and rent a place in Van Nuys. Within 6 months of manipulating traffic I hated LA and was planning my move here. Thanks for the help, if I can't find something decent in South Beach I will try mid-beach but no higher.
    Cynthia

Well, my friends have not complained of mold. To be honest, the building is hit and miss... My friends toilet was gushing water and they didn't fix it till the next day. Hey, that's Miami for you. And one time my friend who works from home left her apartment to find a note on the door that Orkin had been in and sprayed. They had not been in her apt! But again, not specific to Southgate, it's a Miami thing.

(If these stories are off putting btw, you may possibly want to re think moving here!)

Other good stories though is my friends bike was stolen and the security were able to look on camera who had taken it, realized it was a friend of a tenant and contacted the tenant to get the bike back. So there are good stories also.