Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stash

Thread: Relocation from Washington DC for work in Miramar, no suburbs!, walkable community?

New User

Default Relocation from Washington DC for work in Miramar, no suburbs!, walkable community?

Good Evening Everyone,

I have been reading this board for a few weeks and figured I would jump in with my questions.

I'm 34 and my girlfriend is 27 and we are relocating to Miami for a new job offer I have in Miramar. She is going to also relocate her current job to Park West/downtown Miami. We will really miss living in downtown Washington DC where we can walk or use public transportation to get nearly anywhere but we know Miami is very much more of a car centric town and we are ready for that.

With my job in Miramar and her job downtown we were thinking of somewhere in between but closer to the east and the beach. We are looking for a small house or condo building where we can walk to nice bars, restaurants, and grocery stores like we are able to do here. I know Miami is a different place than DC.

I know downtown/Brickell is out of the question with my commute to Miramar. Some have suggested Aventura (seems to suburbs), Sunny Isles Beach, or Surfside. Thoughts? Is North Beach too for of a drive to Miramar during rush hour? I'd like to keep my drive to 30 minutes. Is anywhere more inland near North Miami/Biscayne Park/Miami Shores fit this description? (I name all these places as they also seem a 10-15 min taxi ride to South Beach.)

Everything I read says Miami traffic is terrible but how terrible could it be vs. the #1 worst traffic in the US here in Washington DC.

Thanks!

Default Re: Relocation from Washington DC for work in Miramar, no suburbs!, walkable communit

Hi Stash,

Yep Miramar is pretty far away from most of the places you mentioned. And it's located towards the west part of Broward county, edging in on the Everglades. Two good mid spots, are Miami Springs and Doral. With Miami Springs, your girlfriend's commute is going to be much easier than yours. In Doral, both of you will have a long commute. Same thing with Surfside and Aventura.

Few places are walkable with the exception of South Beach, Brickell and Coral Gables. Most of the fun places are generally located towards the Eastern part of city.

Default Re: Relocation from Washington DC for work in Miramar, no suburbs!, walkable communit

Quote Originally Posted by Stash View Post
    Everything I read says Miami traffic is terrible but how terrible could it be vs. the #1 worst traffic in the US here in Washington DC. Thanks!

Stash -

I'll let others who live in the area suggest places to live, .... but I'll give my $0.02 on the traffic deal. Janet and I live in the DC 'burbs, and we have visited Miami area many times. We have driven in Miami traffic, both mainland and beach, and in rush bours on many occaisions. Coming from the DC area, you'll find Miami's traffic to be no big deal. It's easier than DC. As you already know, DC just passed LA for the nation's worst commutes and traffic. DC also has the honor of the worst drivers for several years running now.

Lot's of people on MB411 will be in disbelief, but ....
    The drivers in Miami are better.

According to accident rate insurance data from Allstate (which is a HUGE sampling number with its millions of customers), Miami statistically has better drivers than DC. DC is way out in front as the nation's worst, with Baltimore a distant second. It's not all roses for Miami. Miami is quite a bit worse than the U.S. average, but a league better than DC drivers. Some of the Miami drivers seem crazier, as they really like to use their horns. ... A lot .... Even more horn use than in the DC area. .... And some Miamians like to think they are starring in "The Fast and the Furious." But, overall. Miamians drive better than DC people.

So, for you people coming from IA, UT, NC, and CO, .... Miami will be driving hell. For people coming from DC, Baltimore, and Philly, ... Miami is no big deal. ... It's actually easier

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 02-07-2012 at 02:37 AM.

Check out Coral Gables. It's not on the beach, but it's very walkable if you leave near Miracle Mile. You can also check out the Coral Way Corridor, which is just outside the Gables and is also very walkable.

This would make your girlfriend's commute fairly easy. Your commute will still be long, but there is really no way around that unless you move closer to Miramar, then your girlfriend will be stuck with the long commute and you will be living far away from the beach in western suburbia.

The Gables and the Coral Way Corridor are not too far from the beaches.

Below are articles I wrote on those neighborhoods.

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/coral-way-corridor

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/coral-gables

New User

hat would my commute to and from Miramar during rush hour be? I don't want to spend and hour fighting traffic each way.

Another thread on here states, "That's a brutal commute." (I can't post the URL.)

I also read this:

Matt,
    My boyfriend and I are looking to relocate to Miami from Myrtle Beach, SC. I will be working in Miramar, FL however we are 24 and 26 years old, white, college graduates and want to live near the beach and nightlife. He’s big into surfing and we are really looking forward to a new city, new culture and meeting new people. You mentioned that commuting can be a disaster. Am i naive to think that it would be possible for us to live in Miami Beach and make the 30 min commute to Miramar on a daily basis? I don’t know the highways or roads down there so if Mapquest says its a 30 minute drive, how long do you propose realistically it would take me to get to work? Thanks for all the advice!
    - Marie
    Posted on 03/01 at 5:40 PM
    Matt Meltzer says:
    30 minutes??! HAHAHAHAHAH!
    That drive takes about 30 minutes like late at night when there’s no traffic. But even though that is theoretically a reverse commute, you hit a bad day or an accident or don’t have a SunPass to get into the Express lanes (Which you can’t do if you come over north of the Venetian Causeway) it’s gonna be 45-50 minutes each way. Also, if you live in a part of the beach that’s not near a Causeway entrance, it can take you ten minutes just to get on the freeway. Not to mention if you hit traffic on the Causeway.
    I don’t think Lauderdale Beach would be much better, since it’s a long drive to get on 595, and even then you have to drive the hwole length of 595 before heading about 10 minutes south on 75 to get to Miramar.
    So, in short, no. If you’re going to be working in Miramar, I’d suggest living somewhere like Hallandale Beach or Aventura if you want to be near the water. Sunny Isles is also a ***** to get to the freeway in the morning. If you want to be near nightlife, you’re SOL.

I'm I SOL? You guys are making a downtown Miami to Miramar commute seem easy? In my research some think it's laughable?

New User

I would give up on downtown and look for something somewhat similar but closer to Miramar. I know nothing compares to downtown Miami but something walkable.

Downtown Lauderdale would be the best bet IF your girlfriend wasn't working in downtown Miami. Your commute would be 20-30 minutes, Hers, however, will be 45 if she can take the Express lanes. And even then, you might get to downtown and take 20 minutes getting off the freeway.

You are in an unfortunate situation because your jobs are in areas where it will necessitate one of you making an unpleasant commute. my advice? Move near downtown Miami (midtown maybe) and you can make the trip up to Miramar. her commute will be very short, and you will at least be going against traffic. And downtown Miami to Miramar, if there's not accidents, isn't terrible in the morning. Coming from the Beach is worse because you have to deal with causeways. But if you can live in Downtown Miami or Brickell, and be able to pick up the Express lanes (start at I-195), your commute won't be much over 35 minutes. So look into that.

But I would not recommend the beach.

Hi Stash

Your situation sounds like mine. One of my work locations is Miramar, my spouse works in downtown Miami. We live in Sunny Isles. My commute to Miramar via the Turnpike is 30-35 minutes in the morning, maybe 40 on the way back. Pretty similar times for my spouse (using the SunPass lanes of course). I have colleagues who live in Brickell and commute to Miramar. They say in the morning it's easy, 30-35 minutes as there's no traffic on the reverse commute. It's the drive back home that's a problem.

New User

Good Evening Everyone,

I have been here nearly 2 weeks and here are some of my observations.

-The drive to/from Miramar to Brickell is cake. Even leaving Miramar on Friday at 6pm took me just over 20 minutes to get to Brickell.

- I don't want to sound like a snobbish DC person (who for YEARS bashed DC for not being a 'real' city with such a small urban core.) WHERE IS MIAMI'S URBAN CORE? It really seems like it doesn't exist and everything is quite spread out. How is it that just in the last 10 years that the population of Brickell has only gone from 40k to 80k in 2010? Why are people now just realizing to live there? Where are the people walking around? Mary Brickell Village has a Reston VA Town Center suburban strip mall plopped into the middle of an urban center feel and if you walk north of the Miami River it becomes desolate. Brickell seems to have a Wall Street/Rosslyn VA feel to it. Kind of a shame... what was everyone’s alternative to Miami Beach for the last 100 years?

-There are indeed bars, restaurants, parks, public transportation, museums, and supermarkets all within walking distance in Brickell so it's not all that bad.

- A short drive down to Coral Gables seemed quite nice, we ate on the Miracle Mile. And a few people mentioned some ethnic grocery stores and live music clubs quite close in Little Havana that seem like something to do regularly. I also went to a basketball game which was great.

- We did the drive from Surfside down to South Beach for a day. While we would love to just live at 5th and Collins, I don't need to tack another 30 minutes (totaling over 1 hr, 1 way) to Miramar. If we both worked downtown this would be a no brainer!

- South Beach too didn't seem very dense. We did a mix of things from having a few beers at Club Deuce, to walking the beach, to having lunch poolside at Delano. Seemed like ALL tourists. The Lincoln Rd Mall was like the suburbs too! I wasn't very impressed.

- A 2 bed/2 baths in Brickell seems to be going for about $2200. Seems slightly crazy considering some of the big buildings are empty. My real estate agent pulled what places rented for in a few buildings we looked at on Brickell Bay Drive and all of them went for $100-$200 cheaper than list. So negotiating seems quite possible.

Rant over … we are still very excited to move. Like someone said on another thread…. You can’t come to Miami and compare it to anywhere you have come from…. I guess I was just expecting more of a CITY…. Considering it’s much larger than the DC Metro Area.

Thanks for listening and I would love to hear some feedback.
    rk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stash View Post
    I guess I was just expecting more of a CITY…. Considering it’s much larger than the DC Metro Area.

Thanks for listening and I would love to hear some feedback.

stash -

The DC metro area and the Miami metro area are almost the same size. The DC metro area is actually slightly larger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...tistical_Areas

Both cities suck if you're looking for an "urban core".

For a core, you really need to go to cities like NYC, Chicago, or Boston. ... Even Baltimore.

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 02-29-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Yeah we're JUST starting to develop that. Miami doesn't really operate like other American cities, either, if you haven't noticed. Latins may not be as hip to the "urban core" idea, since most "urban cores" in Latin America are generally slums.

That said Midtown and Wynwood are starting to emerge after years of being "up and coming." Birckell is a little forced as an Urban Center. Like they put stuff there basically saying "HEY! Some hang out here!' without any of it having any sort of specific draw. Like there's not a single destination spot in Brickell, where I'd find it worth going over the causeway to visit. South Miami is much the same, but more suburban.

Glad that drive isn't kicking your ass. Though I'm calling BS on the 20 minutes from Miramar to Brickell. I've done it late night and it's still 25. Tough I guess it may depend where in Miramar.

New User

Also, we put an offer in on a pretty large 2 bed 2 bath at 1200 Brickell Bay Drive (The Club at Brickell Bay). They were asking $2200 and we offered $2000/month. Anyone want to weigh in on this deal?

rk

Well, the last five 2/2 rentals in that building went for $1950, 2025, 2250, 1700 and 2000, so you're in the right ballpark. A lot depends on the specific unit and how much you like it. If it's the one I am thinking of on one of the upper floors, it has been listed for 3 months, so the (new) owners should be motivated.
    Last edited by rk; 03-05-2012 at 04:36 PM.

New User

You are indeed speaking of the exact unit we put an offer in on.

rk

lol, something tells me your offer will be accepted, and you'll have a great stay there. Thanks for your impressions above, I enjoyed reading them.

rk knows everything. Like he's gone from just being a general encyclopedia to actually being psychic.

rk

Not saying you're entirely correct, but I have been thinking of getting my own 1-800 psychic hotline.

That's cool rk. Just make sure you don't post a link to it or try and solicit business on here or they'll be calling for you to be banned in the Admin section.

rk

Very true, our eagle eyed Admins are ever watchful, and like the sword of Damocles, make sure we walk the straight and narrow.