Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Moving Companies

Default Moving Companies

I am looking for an affordable and reliable way to transport my apartment belongings from Seattle to Miami. Has anyone used any good moving companies or have any good suggestions on different types of moving methods? Thank you

Preferred Member

Default Re: Moving Companies

I used United Van Lines for my inter-state move to Miami. The local agent in Miami for it is Armstrong Relocation. I was very satisfied with their service.

I used "ABF U-pack", not a full-service mover; but a transport company. They drop off an emtpy truck, you pack it & install a portable wall inside to protect your goods. (called a "bulkhead" - easy to do); they transport it to your destination and you unload/unpack. Huge savings over other companies, and IME, the least full of BS compared to everyone else I called. No sales tactics, no upcharges, no hidden fees - they quoted a price and that was it. Excellent customer service, stayed in communication with me, called when they said they would, delivered when they said they would. Drivers were very helpful at both ends, and nothing was touched, moved, or broken inside my bulkhead. Highly recommended if you're interested in this kind of "half-DIY" move.
    Last edited by Catt; 02-26-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Thank you. UPACK qouted me over 3,000 dollars for one of their portable storage units. The distance is what is killing me. Uhaul and door to door offer them for half the price.

oh - yes - i wasn't talking about the storage unit method; I also checked that with them, as well as PODS - PODS was twice what UPack charged for that service. but yeh, that is pricey no matter what company you use.

but in any case i meant the service where they spot the whole truck itself at your home, you have 2-3 days to pack it, then they pick up the truck. different thing from the storage unit method.

I've used both the Upack pods (aka "Relo-Cubes") and the space on the big rig, and I believe, overall, the pod is the best option. The big rig used to be a great option, but their prices have risen a great deal, so the pods cost about the same. A problem I had with the big rig was having to run out to Home Depot to get this huge piece of plywood for the ballast. I only have a small Tercel, so I had to hunt down a friend with a truck to take me. It was a big hassle. You also have to make sure you have enough space around your place to park this huge 28 foot trailer for a day or two. Sometimes that means getting a special permit from the city, depending on where you live. Also, I noticed that more of my items ended up broken on the moving truck as opposed to the pod. The pod is right at ground level, so it's easier to load, and it takes up far less space than the big rig trailer. With the pod, you have the option of getting it delivered directly to your new residence, or storing it at your new city's Upack receiving warehouse. When I moved to San Diego, I hadn't found my new place yet, so it was useful to be able to ship my stuff to the warehouse and leave it there for a few days while I scouted apartments.

doug, ABF U-Pack provides their own bulkhead - it's a substantial thing with heavy metal braces and locks to secure it in place, using built-in receptacles along the insides of the truck; and part of their process is to have the driver inspect, and sign off on, the installation of the bulkhead - they don't just leave it up to the customer and drive off. Some companies do require the customer to provide their own piece of plywood to use as the bulkhead, and place all responsibility upon the customer to do it - but not this company. As I was doing this move on my own with no help, this was a big selling point for me in choosing their service above some of the other companies I called, who actually quoted lower prices. but, in my research I examined customer reviews of many companies, and this one consistently came out on top for customer service. Plus with no add-on fees, I felt more comfortable with their quote, although slightly higher than other companies (but those had poor customer reviews, so i didn't want to choose on lowest price alone).... and which they honored to the penny.

in my research, and this was within the last year, the PODS and Relo-Cube units were substantially more expensive than doing it this way -- the cost wasn't my 'only' concern, but i just didn't see much advantage to spending 1000.00 more for the cube or pod. it wasn't really necessary for me anyhow - I packed everything inside the house and had it ready for the day i scheduled the truck to arrive; and just walked it out to the truck directly, instead of storing it in the pod/cube; and had them deliver my goods to a storage unit, where I left it until I got an apartment. Having the moving company store it for me would have been a LOT more money also. If you are a good packer nothing will break - my load didn't even shift inside the truck, I had it packed so well.
    Last edited by Catt; 02-27-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Indian Barbie here is a great website I used in my research, you can see reviews and ask questions about specific moving companies, with direct customer input re: their experiences -

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/
    rk likes this.

I used a company called "MoveAmerica" in 2005 and 2006 when I last used the partial trailer option. We had to provide our own plywood, and the driver inspected and helped lock it in after we put it in. Typically, with these companies, you have to get a quote by email, so it's hard for me to compare the difference in cost between a relo-cube and the big rig as they are now. However, in 2007, when I moved from New Orleans to Miami, Upack provided me a quote for both the relo-cube and the partial trailer option -- and the relocube was a few hundred dollars cheaper ($781 vs. $1011):

Name:  upackquote2007.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  110.8 KB

yah, i hear you - i would imagine that the location & distance for each individual move would also affect which method comes out cheaper in each instance.

but anyway just for accuracy's sake, so I.B. knows - nowadays everything can be done online with telephone follow-up; that's how they did it with me.
    Last edited by Catt; 02-27-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Yes-Catt we are talking about the same thing. I will call UHAUL & Door to Door to see if they require that extra backboard. Thanks for letting me know Catt & Doug. Moving Scam is a great website and I have directed some questions to them. I found it interesting in the state of WA it is illegal to qoute people over the phone due to all the scams. WA state just fined over 10 moving companies that were operating illegally.
    Catt likes this.

glad to see your plan is moving along Indian Barbie!! wishing you good luck for an easy move, and see ya when ya get here!

Thanks so much Catt for everything! I look forward to seeing you again. Should be in April if not sooner. Hope all is well!

Quote Originally Posted by Catt View Post
    glad to see your plan is moving along Indian Barbie!! wishing you good luck for an easy move, and see ya when ya get here!
    Catt likes this.

Does anyone recommend any good local moving companies? I am using a pod like item to transport my items and I will need someone to load my items from the storage unit in Deerfield Beach and transport and unload them at my apartment in Mid beach off 58th & Collins.
    Last edited by Indian Barbie; 04-07-2012 at 04:43 PM.

rk

Try these guys, they get good reviews:

http://www.mover-miami.us/

Also, someone I know recommended the following, not sure they are still in business:

Happy Dave's Moving Co 786-619-6063

Need assistance. I have moving companies like Graebel that have qouted me 895 dollars to move my items from the storage unit in Deerfield to Miami Beach. I have also had movers qoute me 75 dollars an hour with a 3 hour requirement. 300 vs 895. Not sure what to consider at this point and which way to go. RK i called the moving company you sent me the link for and they were very nice but I am concerned with the low qoute of 300.

$300 sounds about right from when my friends have moved. $75/hr and you get three guys turn up with their own van.

Hi Indian Barbie, I don't have any suggestions on who to use but I have heard from a few people NOT to use Father & Son's moving. Hope this helps.

and $300 does sound prettty reasonable. Maybe too reasonable, as you suspect. Jess says it's about right so maybe it isn't a scam

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Barbie View Post
    Does anyone recommend any good local moving companies? I am using a pod like item to transport my items and I will need someone to load my items from the storage unit in Deerfield Beach and transport and unload them at my apartment in Mid beach off 58th & Collins.
    Indian Barbie, would you mind sharing which moving company you ended up choosing for your cross country move and how much they charged? I'll be moving a 1 bedroom apartment from Scottsdale, Arizona and have been quoted around $2,500 for my move (using a POD like storage device). Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast