Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Newly Weds moving to Miami

Hello, please help! My wife (29 y/o) and I (30) have both been offered great jobs in two different Miami hospitals, Baptist & Miami Children's. We have to decide where to live pretty quickly and I need help! We will be relocating from Alabama, are homeowners, and nderstand that we will likely rent first, then buy later. We want to be close to our jobs, live in a relatively stable and secure neighborhood. I would categorize myself as culturally tolerant and I do speak Spanmish quite well. My wife is less so but is a quick learner and adapts well. We do have a couple of friends im ft lauderdale. Our budget for renting is somewhat modest at this point...$1000ish to 1500ish. All kinds of insights are desired, anything to paint a picture for us! Thanks in advance!

rk

Default Re: Newly Weds moving to Miami

Seems like a good time to post this map again. It shows Maimi area neighborhoods color-coded by "quality" (dark green are best, Red means not good):

http://tinyurl.com/2btpcf2

Disclaimer: not my map

Preferred Member

You might need to increase your rent budget a little... btw $1500 and $2000 is probably more realistic for a 2-person household in a relatively stable and secure neighborhood even for the budget-conscious....

If you want a nicer area for a lower price look further North like Broward, or farther south like Homestead, prices go way down in either direction.

Dylan, that commute to either hospital would be beyond brutal.

South Miami might be a good option for you. Not far to Baptist or Miami Children's. And you can get a decent 1 BR apartment for your budget. A house is more or less out of the question in a decent area for what you can pay. Maybe a SMALL bungalow type place in Coconut Grove, but it will be pretty shabby.

Coral Gables would also e a good area, though your budget may price you out of that.

The northern part of Kendall might be ok, but don't go south of about SW 88th St. or the drive to Miami Children's will be unbearable at Rush Hour. You can find more for your money there but if you have to go north in the morning or south at night your life will be hell.

Again, I'm talking 1 BR apartments for what you can get in your range. Maybe a 2 BR in some places that aren't bad. But if you want a house Perri is right, you'll need to figure about 2K.

Rough place for a young married couple. I wish you guys luck.

With that budget, you're looking at 1 bedroom apts or maybe townhouses. Check Coconut Grove, South Miami, and Kendall. You might also find something in West Gables.

New User

With more research done (thanks for the help on here) we are definitely increasing our budget expectations. $1500 - $2000 is doable in all likelihood. Couple of questions, what are condos near the water like (Brickell, Downtown, Midtown, etc) and what are the best ways to go about finding a realtor to show us around? What is the commute like from there? Our expectation is that we will live in a little more "fun" area for 1-2 years whole we get a feel for the rest of the area and what we like. With that said, we are both mid-career professionals whose primary focus will be work so nothing tooooo loud/crazy. Obviously, we will also consider S Miami, Coral Gables, etc. Once again, thanks for all the help!

Midtown is good. A lot of shopping and probably the best place right now for young, urban people with expendable income. The restaurant/bar/art scene is producing a lot of unique businesses and new places to go every week. Definitely the only part of Miami that feels like a normal American city. Well, the only part that's not 15 miles north or south.

Brickell has gotten a little congested and is HEAVILY South American. So it won't be very diverse and you may feel a little culturally isolated. The buildings are nice but it's turned into kind of a concrete canyon, so a lot of units have views of nothing but other units' living rooms. Kinda like New York, but not as dreary.

Downtown is ok, depending where you go. Convenient but try and live closer to the water as more inland you again run into that "room with a view of another room" problem.

The commute to Miami Children's won't be bad assumingyou go at normal work hours. Bpatist will be a serious pain as the road to Kendall is always paved with Traffic. Seriosuly, if you have to work down there you're better off living South.

New User

My wife, who HATES traffic, has to work at Baptist. So...probably S Miami, Coconut Grove? What are those areas like culturally? Midtown sounds great, too bad it sounds like a difficult drive. What's reasonable to expect from there to Children's and/or Baptist for work during reasonably normal business hours?

Midotwn to Miami Childrens would be maybe 20 minutes. Easy drive until you hit the streets of Coral Gables. But half an hour would be a bad day. Baptist is half an hour in the middle of the night. So figure 40 minutes in light traffic, an hour or so if you hit a bad day with accidents.

Coconut Grove is very artsy and diverse. You have college students, artists, professionals, even some retired people. It's not exactly Berkley, but a nice area nonetheless. South Miami is ok, heavily Latin (as is almost all of Miami) with a mixture of young professionals and families.