Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Relocation from DC for mid-20's male

I've done my fair share of scouring the forums and various real estate sites, but I thought I'd finally reach out to the community and see what people's thoughts are. I'm a mid-20's single male moving to Miami this summer for a work relocation and have been looking into SoBe, Brickell, and Coral Gables/Coconut Grove. I'm not the huge party type, and I'm thinking SoBe might be a bit too much for me. I absolutely hate living in a traditional high rise, so I've been on the lookout for a loft, townhouse, or small-mid rise building. I'd really like a place I have the ability to have a grille and BBQ at.

I visited back in January and really liked the feel of Brickell, but couldn't find anything besides high-rise buildings. Almost every townhouse I looked at on SoBe was overpriced (I am still between buying/renting). Price isn't really particularly a huge issue for me, but 475k+ for a 2br/2ba seemed a bit nuts. What are people's thoughts on Coconut Grove for somebody my age? I do enjoy going out to good restaurants and bars, but the club scene is strictly an "only when friends visit" thing for me. I'd like to walk to at least a few bars if possible.

Default Re: Relocation from DC to Miami for mid-20's male - Looking @ SoBe, Brickell, the Gro

Welcome, dctomiami!

Brickell is where the high rises are so I would skip that. It's also not easy to find an apartment in South Beach where you can go outside and grill.

I think Coconut Grove is a great option for what you are looking for, or South Miami. You can walk to bars and restaurants in either location, and you may be able to find a "quirky" place to live, that's not a typical apartment.

The most important question is, what part of the city are you working in? You don't waste your days sitting in traffic.

New User

Default Re: Relocation from DC to Miami for mid-20's male - Looking @ SoBe, Brickell, the Gro

Where exactly is the delineation of Coconut Grove and Coral Gables? I've heard there's a college crowd in the Grove, and I want avoid that if I can. When I was down there, I liked this walkable area near the restaurant Lulu's -- any idea if that's Coconut Grove or Coral Gables? What is considered "South Miami"?

I'll be working down south near Kendall, but traffic isn't a huge issue for me -- I'ved lived in DC for 7 years and am used to it.

Default Re: Relocation from DC for mid-20's male

Yeah LuLus is in coconut grove. That's really only a college crowd on Thursdays out there. The rest of the time it's pretty normal, and you can find houses or townhouses there pretty easily. Just be REAL carfeul what part of the Grove you live in. There are some realyl awful parts, so don't get anything there sight unseen.

The Grove and Gables kind of meld into each other down south. But I think the properties down there are probably a little out of your range (huge and almost all over 750k) so you don't really need to worry about what is where. Coral Gables is a little further north and west than Coconut Grove. The commute to Kendall will be about the same. Although you'll be going against traffic if you have normal hours, so again not a huge concern.

South Miami is the city just south and west of Coral Gables. It's nice, but I don't think has as much character as the Grove or Gables. Also, I think the Grove and Gables are a little more diverse.

I would vote South Miami over The Grove. In my opinion Coconut Grove is highly overrated. It is not the hot spot it used to be. There are a few bars an restaurants and boutiques but there really isn't all that much to do there. It is a nice looking area just not all that functional. There also aren't many conveniences (grocery stores etc.) in that immediate area. The Grove also has areas which are downright dangerous within a very short walking distance.

I think of South Miami as the perfect mix of city and suburb. It has a village feel to it. In your price range you could probably find a midrise condo, townhouse or bungelow in walking distance to amenities.
    If you stick to the area around Sunset Place, you can walk to all of the restaurants, the grocery store, LA fitness, the movie theater, bookstore and more. South Miami is also about a 2 minute drive away from Dadeland which is a mall, but also has Target Bed Bath and Beyond, Best Buy Sports Authority and other stores. You will also be within walking distance of the metrorail line which will take you right into Brickell and downtown. South Miami is very convenient AND cool, best of both worlds.

Hey dctomiami,

South Beach is only a huge party town if you want it to be. You can find a mid rise art deco building that has backyard space or possibly something with a terrace where you could put a grill. If you're single and new in town I think it's the best place to meet new people. You can live in South Beach and you never have to go to Ocean Dr. or the clubs if you don't want to.

Yeah but the commute from South Beach to Kendall would be BRUTAL

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Hey dctomiami,

South Beach is only a huge party town if you want it to be. You can find a mid rise art deco building that has backyard space or possibly something with a terrace where you could put a grill. If you're single and new in town I think it's the best place to meet new people. You can live in South Beach and you never have to go to Ocean Dr. or the clubs if you don't want to.
    Hey Christy -- what's so great about SoBe that I can't get in the Coral Gables/Coconut Grove area? The commute would be pretty horrible to Kendall each day. I checked out SoBe and went out on Lincoln Road and saw the SoFi area too. Are there other areas that I'm missing? Any suggestions on a mid-rise that has backyard space or a terrace? I haven't had any luck finding one yet.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Yeah LuLus is in coconut grove. That's really only a college crowd on Thursdays out there. The rest of the time it's pretty normal, and you can find houses or townhouses there pretty easily. Just be REAL carfeul what part of the Grove you live in. There are some realyl awful parts, so don't get anything there sight unseen.

The Grove and Gables kind of meld into each other down south. But I think the properties down there are probably a little out of your range (huge and almost all over 750k) so you don't really need to worry about what is where. Coral Gables is a little further north and west than Coconut Grove. The commute to Kendall will be about the same. Although you'll be going against traffic if you have normal hours, so again not a huge concern.

South Miami is the city just south and west of Coral Gables. It's nice, but I don't think has as much character as the Grove or Gables. Also, I think the Grove and Gables are a little more diverse.
    Any suggestions on which part of the Grove to avoid? I won't have any ground truth until I take an housing searching trip in a couple months. Any chance you can provide a store/landmark that's considered the center of Coral Gables?

There's no real "center" or Coral Gables. Maybe Miracle Mile and LeJeune road would be the middle of the business district. Or Ponce De Leon Blvd. and Miracle Mile (Coral Way). If you're near there, it's fairly walkable.

Nothing west of the CVS on Grand Ave. is good in Coconut Grove. But again it's the kind of thing if you go look at the place you'll know immediately if you're in the good or bad part of the Grove. It's not at all ambiguous.

rk

Take a look at this map to see which are the better/safer areas in Miami. It's not perfect, but you can zoom and pan down to street level:

http://tinyurl.com/2btpcf2

Disclaimer: not my map.