Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Relocating from OH for law school; low budget, help please!

Hello everyone! I've been reading some of the threads in this forum, and everyone here seems to have some very helpful information. I went ahead and registered for the site, so here's to hoping you can give me some advice, too.

I will be relocating to Miami this coming end-of-July/beginning-of-August. I start law school at FIU the third week of August, in the part-time evening division. During the day, I will be working full time at Starbucks (or something better; I plan to start looking around for more lucrative employment once I've settled in).

About me: 24, female, single, fully bilingual E/S (speak/read/write), used to living in low-income neighborhoods (spent five years in DC before now) and making a small budget stretch. Though I do go to the occasional party, I am for the most part a pretty quiet person. I'm coming to terms with the fact that, even if this were not the case, I will not be doing much besides working, sleeping, and studying during the next few years anyway. I do have one cat who will be relocating with me; she is spayed and declawed, and her presence is non-negotiable. Other than that, I am a flexible person who can live just about anywhere.

What I'm looking for: a studio/efficiency or one-bedroom apartment for $650 or less (I've already accepted the fact that it will probably have to be a studio, barring some stroke of fantastic luck). I would also be willing to share a 2-bedroom place, provided that half the rent didn't add up to more than that, and that whoever shared the place with me was okay with my cat and my (probably odd) hours. I would prefer utilities included, but this isn't a must. I do need parking, but street parking within a five block radius is fine. I'd like to be close to public transportation (as a low-budget girl, I am a seasoned veteran when it comes to taking the bus). Close to FIU South Campus would also be a plus, but anything within about 5 miles would be fine. I've heard that living in Downtown isn't too bad, despite the distance, since the reverse commute means traffic isn't as awful as it is for people coming in to the city. Being low-income myself, I don't mind low-income areas, especially since I don't anything of worth that would make my residence particularly appealing for potential do-badders.

I think that's really it. If you know any places I should look into, or if you're looking for a roommate come summer, please let me know! I know we're only just entering March, but I thought it would be best to start early. Anyway, thanks for reading, and I welcome all advice!

Sincerely,
    Sarah

Default Re: Relocating from OH for law school; low budget, help please!

Unlike so many on this site, you are actually coming here with little money and realistic expectations. So that's a great first step.

Downtown isn't cheap, really. And if you're taking the bus, that's a LONG 10 miles on the 24 Bus. Over an hour each way.

To minimize your commute, look in the many apartment buildings around the Westchester/Flagami/Sweetwater area out by FIU. It's close to campus and while not the richest area in Miami, it's not bad. Very middle/working class. The Housing department over at FIU should be able to direct you to specific complexes.

Sarah, did you check out this webpage run by FIU's department of off-campus housing?

http://classifieds.fiu.edu/
    It looks like there are some places in your price range. I'm the same way about my cats! Where I go, they go!

New User

Thank you both for you prompt replies!!

I will actually be in Miami this weekend for admitted student's day at the law school. Hopefully I'll be able to take both of your suggestions once I'm physically present in the area. I'm still waiting for my student email address, so I haven't been able to register for the FIU classifieds yet, but with any luck I will be able to set that up this weekend. I'm staying a few extra days, too, to be able to meet with someone in the Housing department and to be able to look at some of the places around campus. I've already got a few places written down that I want to check out; maybe I'll get lucky and strike apartment gold, haha.

One other question I had: A lot of people post these detached studio apartments (on Craigslist mostly), that look like remodeled sheds in their back yards... Have you had any experience with places like that? Are they even worth going to check out? I've seen a few that looked passable, but most look like somebody repainted a garage and decided to call it a private apartment.

I'm really very glad I registered for the site, it's already turned out to be a fruitful decision. Thanks again!

-Sarah

Hi Sara,

Some of those "remodeled sheds" are actually worth checking out, some aren't. If you won't have a car, try to stay as close to FIU as possible. There are some bus routes, but they're not as effective as say DC or NY. From Downtown, it would take an hour and a half each way.

Start asking around the law school and other depts, there are plenty of signs for roommates. With your budget, you can afford a room inside a house, or a studio.