Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Doug

Thread: Preparing your car for Miami Heat

Default Preparing your car for Miami Heat

I just found out that my black car with black interior will be have to be parked outside vs inside. I do not have my windows tinted. Is this something you recommend? What windows do your recommend to be tinted? What is legal in Miami? Is there anything else maintanince wise I should do with my car to prepare it for the Miami heat? It is newer Mazada 3 series. Also is car theft & break-ins an issue in Miami? I am staying in Mid beach.

Default Re: Preparing your car for Miami Heat

Hi,

That's why I sold my black car before I moved, and I had beige interior! What about those sun shields that you put in the front of the car when you park it?

rk

That's a good tip about putting one of those folding sun shields in the windshield or other windows. I would not go so far as to sell the black car. Color is just one of many variables to consider. How the seats feel will depend more on the material, cloth is better than leather or vinyl. Parking in partial or full shade, leaving the windows open a crack, etc. will also help. The window surface area exposed to sun will be more important than car or seat color.

Re. tinting, yes that should help a bit. There are state laws to consider. The official laws governing tinting are sections 316.2952 thru 2956 which you can read here:

http://www.lawserver.com/law/state/f...tutes_316-2952

and there is a more understandable summary here:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5095721_fl...ting-laws.html

You should read the above links for details, here's a partial excerpt:

Relative Reflectivity

• On the front windshield, the state allows an original manufacturer's tint strip across the top "AS1" region only. There can be no other tinting of the front windshield.
      Front side windows can have transparent tinting with a maximum 25 percent reflectivity. Colored tinting is not allowed. The back side and rear window tinting can be at a maximum 35 percent reflectivity. All cars with custom window tinting must carry a label on the inside left doorjamb, listing the tinting or film product used and the name of the individual or business that did the installation.

Visible Light Transmission

• The state also regulates window tinting as measured by percentage of visible light transmission. This is a measure of the amount of visible light transmitted by the material through the window into the interior. By Florida law, visible light transmission must be a minimum of 28 percent through the front side windows, and a minimum of 15 percent through the back side windows and rear windows. Multi-purpose passengervehicles must have a minimum 6 percent transmission on back side and rear windows.

I don't know much about tinting, I would def recommend that you leave your car in the shade or if not to buy a car cover. Mid-beach is pretty safe. Around South Beach, you shouldn't leave anything valuable (not even CDs) in your car, as many people I know that have lived there have had their windows smashed and the car broken into.

Thank you so much RK for the info. This is the info I was looking for. I cannot afford to sell my car and buy a new one at this time nor would I want to. I love my car. I don't have leather seats so that should help. Unfortunately my assigned parking spot is not in the shade and they refuse to give me a different one.

Dark tints are key. They also help you look like you're up to something shady, thus fitting in better with the local population.

Just be prepared to run your A/C ALL THE TIME when you drive, and never leave anything that might melt in your car. It gets unbelievable hot and I've had some plastic things melt. Or chocolate bars.

Thanks Matt! I have never like tinted windows just for the fact that you stated but I understand that this is very common & useful in Miami so I thought I would adapt . I hope that chocolate that melted wasn't Godiva .

Nah. Hershey's.

Make sure you have spare radiator fluid. Also tints helped my car greatly. But nothing beats a shady parking spot.

Thank you Dylan. Unfortunately the Condo Association will not provide me with a shaded parking spot. I guess the people that rent condos are not treated as well as the people that own the condos.

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    Make sure you have spare radiator fluid. Also tints helped my car greatly. But nothing beats a shady parking spot.

I'd avoid any air freshener that contains fluid.

I've had a couple circumstances where the heat compromised the canister and the liquid ate up a part of my console.

I run 5% tint on all my windows on my black BMW and yes it get's hot as hell inside. But the tint does help. And it's funny Matt mentions dark tint makes you look shady, because a lot of the police cars around here have 5% tint all around as well!! Shady cops!

I'd get a fuzzy cover for your steering wheel at Auto Zone!

Theft and break ins are fairly common on South Beach; sometimes it's better NOT to have the windows too tinted because then they'll know there's not something in there.
    Catt likes this.

hahaha doug! - great minds do think alike, that is just what i do, it keeps the wheel much more comfortable in the hands.

my rear windows are tinted pretty dark, no idea on percentage, it came from the dealer that way. but in the front i have no tint at all, so i'm religious about using a sunshade in the summer... keeps the car cooler of course, and also saves the dashboard & seats.

if possible, when i park i leave the rear windows cracked very slightly - maybe a 1/4 inch. of course this is not for overnight parking at home, but it really makes a difference when you're in a store for 20 minutes.
    Last edited by Catt; 03-15-2012 at 08:23 PM.