Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Cool 19 single male Moving to South Beach. Please help!!

I'ma 19 year old single moving to southbeach. will it be hard for me to find work? and how much will i need to save up before coming i already have a car i just need and apartment and a school please help!

Default Re: 19 single male Moving to South Beach. Please help!!

Hi kyzz,

What kind of work will you be looking for? I would say it's good to have about 2 months worth of savings..just in case it takes that amount of time to find a job.

New User

Im looking for Work in Marketing & sales or perhaps the Night Life area

Getting a nightlife-related job will be easier with experience, so you can make sure you stand out in the crowd. Do you speak Spanish at all? That's a big plus for any job in South Beach!

As for the school, there is everything from Miami-Dade Community College to FIU and the University of Miami. What's your major?

New User

I speak some spanish but not very well. and my major is Business marketing! Im trying to apply for Miami-Dade Community College but they charge a huge fee :/

Yes, coming from out-of-state you will no doubt have to pay nonresident tuition, which is much higher. You might be better off taking some time off from college until you can establish Florida residency and pay lower tuition.

Yeesh...

Yeah without a bachelors degree finding work in marketing and sales will be extremely difficult. Without Spanish even harder. You might have some luck if you knew people, but showing up at 19 without a degree or knowing anyone or work experience, your chances are thinner than the models' waistlines.

Your idea to go to school is good, as that is probably the best way to network and meet people here who can help you. Is there any way you can just be a full time student here for a while? Otherwise this is gonna be a tough ride.

I'd say $8000 if you're moving without a set roommate. That should last you until you find a job. Or don't and realize it's not going to work.

I'm not trying to be a negative nancy here, just laying out the facts. We had the highest unemployment in the nation recently, and no real industry that can pull us out from our recession other than the ever-fickle tourism and real estate.

I guess you could also try and get a real estate license like every other person in Dade County. Apparently rentals are doing well now so that might be one option. Though, again, much harder to be successful without Spanish.

Miami-Dade is one of the most affordable colleges in the country but if you're pay out of state tuition, it's gonna be a bit high. But if you're able to establish Florida residency, definitely go.