Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Relocating for job on Key Biscayne - School, housing advice needed

My husband is considering a job opportunity on Key Biscayne. We are only vaguely familiar with Miami. We would move this summer with our 4 yr. old. We would rent as we have a home to sell here in Georgia. Where should we look? We would love to find a place with a max rent of $1800. Our priorities are finding a good area without him having a crazy, long commute to work. With your suggestions, could you please note commute times to Key Biscayne since we are not familiar with the area?

Our daughter will be entering preK in the fall...I would also need advice on schools (probably private), but a good public school may be an option.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Default Re: Relocating for job on Key Biscayne...school/housing advice needed :)

Hi emilie3408!

I did a search on Coldwell Bankers site, Floridamoves.com. I always found this site helpful when I was looking for a house. I found 4 options close to Key Biscayne (nothing actually on Key Biscayne - though that does not mean there aren't any), looking for 2+ bedrooms, and any amount of bathrooms.

The commute time depends where your husband is actually working on Key Biscayne as it can take 20 minutes from the beginning of the key to the end. So I will give commute times to the beginning of the key.

They are:

2 bed, 1 bath - 327 SW 27th Rd, Miami / $1800 - right over the bridge from Key Biscayne; 5 minute commute

2 bed / 2 bath 555 NE 30th St, Miami (Bayview Tower) / $1750 - 10 minutes

2 bed / 2 bath 1450 Brickell Bay Dr, Miami, FL (Costa Bella - waterfront) / $1700 - 5 minutes

3 bed / 2 bath 9300 Bay Harbor Ter 3-B, Bay Harbor Islands FL 33154 - $1700 - 35 to 40 minutes

The farther south and west you go, the more square feet you can get, but the longer the commute. Since you are moving to such a beautiful city, the less commute time, the better.

I would check out the public schools in Key Biscayne, and there are tons of private schools around the same area.

Default Re: Relocating for job on Key Biscayne...school/housing advice needed :)

Hi, emilie3408. If you are willing to lease a condo, then you will have many options in that price range nearby. Brickell has lots of condos. If you need a house, nearby areas include The Roads and Coconut Grove. Coral Gables isn't too far either. These are all nice areas near Key Biscayne. I doubt you will find a house actually in Key Biscayne for that price so you'd have to be outside the island. Good luck with your move.

EDIT: By Moderator.
    NO Commercial links or advertisement of services.

Default Re: Relocating for job on Key Biscayne - School, housing advice needed

Actually, I don't think Key Biscayne has any public school assigned, Key Biscayne is a rather small island. Generally the more affluent areas have good public schools despite beliefs to the contrary.

Key Biscayne is full of wealthy families, but I have heard from people who live there that the commute in and out of the area can become a nuisance because it is so secluded.

And there's only one main bridge in and out of there.

There is an elementary school on the island, not sure how it's assigned. I get caught in the school zone all the time, not a fan.

That said, to get to the village of Key Biscayne, presumably where his job would be, is a lot more than five minutes from the city. It's about 5-6 miles from the toll plaza to the village. which is a 10 minute drive if there's any traffic and you don't make every light. That doesn't include how long it would take to get to the toll plaza. Which isn't long if you live in Brickell or near there. To get there in the morning from anywhere south could be a pain.