Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tmtheu97

Thread: Moving to Miami in May

New User

Default Moving to Miami in May

Hi there. My husband and I are moving to Miami in May and we are looking for a safe place to live. He has a job in west Miami (152nd street) so we are looking at Kendall and possibly Coral Gables. We don't have kids, but we have 2 dogs and would really like a house (not apt. or condo). I have already seen the map that someone else posted (thanks!), but does anyone have any other advice? Also, I am a teacher and I have no idea as far as where to start applying for teaching jobs. We are not able to travel to Miami in advance to look for places, we will just be coming into town with all of our stuff and have to find a job. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Moving to Miami in May

There are several schools in Kendall, and everything in Kendall would be cheaper than Coral Gables. Coral Gables also has strange regulations, like houses can not be painted certain colors, and a pickup truck can not be parked outside a house in Coral Gables as a permanents residents transportation unless the bed of the truck is covered, or it is in a car port, or garage. However in Kendall you are further from the beach. They each have their perks. The Gables are beautiful, strict, and expensive. While Kendall is more laid back not as beautiful to drive through but cheaper.

What subjects do you teach Stef? Dylan is right. Coral Gables is very centralized but quite expensive, with complex regulations (more so than other places). Kendall is a large suburban area, with plenty of traffic jams. SW 152nd Street is quite south, so I'm not sure Coral Gables would work, distance wise.

New User

Well, I have taught 7th grade English as well as 3rd grade. I am applying for an Elementary Education certification in Florida, so hopefully that will work out. I think we might concentrate our search in Kendall. I am originally from Dallas, so I am used to traffic. We are just trying to find someplace that isn't the young, single, partying crowd since we are unfortunately a little past that stage of our lives..haha. It's so hard to figure out a town without being there and knowing the neighborhoods, etc., so I really appreciate the advice!

If you're on SW 152nd Street, it really depends what Avenue. That area is more Palmetto Bay than West Miami.

If he's anywhere near or East of US-1, look in Palmetto Bay. That's a really nice, somewhat normal suburban area that will leave him with a realyl short commute. You'd just have to find somewhere south to work, as commuting north from there at normal hours in unbearable.

Kendall is awful. Just awful. It is the worst of every aspect of Miami in one sprawling, gridlocked sea of unpleasantness. If there's a redeeming factor to Kendall, it's that there's so little there and it's far enough away from the rest of the city that you never have to go there if you don't want to. Avoid it at all costs. ALL costs.

There are other alternatives to Kendall or the Gables. South Miami has very nice areas and is closer to 152 st than the Gables, however parts of the Gables stretch to U.S. 1 and nearing 57th ave. I know you are not familiar with the area, Stef, but if you are near that area it is a straight shot down U.S. 1 (South Dixie Hgwy) and it would not be that long at all to reach 152 st. Also, you would be going against traffic as traffic flows heavy north and east in the morning and you would be going south and west.
    Palmetto Bay is very nice and would be very close. The Falls is an area arguably just as nice as Palmetto Bay and for the most part would be cheaper. Either way those neighborhoods are all relatively close. There are many options to consider. Hope this helps

Thomas

New User

Hi guys, thanks so much! Just FYI, I was wrong about the address. I didn't realize there are 2 52nd streets and my husband will be working off of the one that is Northwest of Kendale Lakes. It looks like it is off 42nd street (the map also says Bird Road) inbetween 147th and 157th. I don't know if that changes anything really. He will be having to go North with traffic in the mornings. Maybe The Hammocks or The Crossings? I supposed Palmetto Bay or Kendall (sorry Matt) might still be options for us, traffic included. I guess Doral might be an option also. Thanks again guys!

Bird and 157th Ave? Yeah Doral would make for a manageable commute. Kendall wouldn't be awful if you were near the Turnpike as the traffic doesn't realyl get bad until the Bird Road exit. Flagami or Sweetwater might work too. Though those areas aren't all that nice. Westchester too.

Doral wouldn't be a bad option. Theres an exit off the turnpike at NW 41st in Doral and he would exit off the Bird Rd exit of turnpike just west of 117 Ave and then would go west for a bit but shouldn't encounter much westbound traffic in the mornings so it doesn't appear as if it would be too bad. If, in fact, he's traveling to work in the mornings. Doral, in general, is considered nicer than Kendall and Westchester, and definitely better than Sweetwater (sorry Sweetwater residents). There are also several schools in Doral that would be convenient for you, Stef, when you are ready to teach. The other areas that have been mentioned before are still manageable. The good thing is that you wouldn't be tied to an area for too long if you go ahead and lease. A year may seem like an eternity if you aren't happy where you're living but at least it's better than buying where you aren't happy with.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

New User

Coral Gables is beautiful, although more expensive, it all depends what you are looking for. Good luck with your move!