Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Question Need honest info on South Miami!

I'm a 19 year college student planning on moving from Texas to somewhere in Miami this July. Just started recently looking for apartments and I was able to find the Sunset Club apartments in South Miami. It seems like a great location since it's close to a nearby Metrorail station(not gonna have a car for a while), 1 mile away from my dream school(UM!), and the rent is affordable(825 a month), but the only issues I have now really is how is the crime rate in the area plus would I have trouble communicating with local residents due to not being able to speak Spanish. I have no trouble learning Spanish and am currently enrolled in a college course as well, I just want to be something that could hold me back from job opportunities. My budget is going to be tight, but I'm sure enough I will be able to manage with what I'll have. Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. PS: I also tried looking for the nearest MDC campus and I'm guessing Kendall, FL is close to South Miami. This will be the school I'll be attending before I transfer to UM in 2013. Thanks.

Default Re: NEED Honest info on SOUTH MIAMI!

South Miami is a good area to live. It is walkable and friendly, and if you are near the metro rail that is an added bonus.

MDC also has a campus downtown and as you don't have a car it may also be easier for you to get to this campus on the train. Government Center is only about 7 stops away and would take 15 minutes journey time.

rk

I'm not familiar with those specific apartments, but the area should be OK. It is close to a somewhat shady area.

I see there are some reviews of the apartments at this link in case you have not see it:

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...partments.html

That area is close to the MDC Kendall campus which is one of the larger campuses. I have taken classes their they offer almost any class you would need. The other campuses have restrictions as to what classes they can offer. I used to hang out in that area, and lived there for some time. The area is not bad and it is pretty calm.

Default Re: Need honest info on South Miami!

Jess is right, actually. The traffic getting to Kendall is MISERABLE, and if you can take the Metrorail it's literally 20 minutes from South Miami Station to MDC Wolfson downtown via Metrorail and Metromover. I'd look there first as it may be further, but it will be ultimately easier.

What's the address. South Miami is for the most part good but has one REAL bad section. Like it's the part where you always hear about UM kids getting mugged. As long as you're not in there, South Miami is fine. And you won't need Spanish more there any more than other normal parts of the city. Meaning you will be massively inconvenienced on a daily basis by not speaking it, but you will be able to get by easily.

Hi Chiefkta,

I have been living here for 17 years and no habla espanol (besides phrases like that). You will be fine and will surely pick it up in no time, especially if you are taking classes.

South Miami is a great area, especially the part that's close to the Shops at Sunset Place. That area is very walkable and villagey, but doesn't get the crazy congestion you'll find in South Beach.