Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer
  • 1 Post By tmtheu97

Thread: Need a place near JMH! Please advise!

New User

Default Need a place near JMH! Please advise!

Hi there,
    I am moving from Texas to start work at Jackson Memorial Hospital in June. I may not be able to afford a car immediately so I'm hoping for something within walking distance from the hospital or walking distance from the metrorail. Someone told me Dominion Towers is a good option and I contacted them. They only have 2 bedrooms available (it's just me so would want 1 ideally) but the price is still reasonable at $950/month. I think my limit would be about $1200. My only reservation is the reviews online are mostly negative, lots of talk about roaches and such so now I'm not sure what to do. Any advice about other options or Dominion Towers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Safire.

Default Re: Need a place near JMH! Please advise!

Hi Safire,

Welcome to the forums. If you have to live right next to JMH, Dominion Tower would work, but there's not much in that area besides JMH. A few blocks away is a sketchy area. Living in Miami a car is vital, you'll eventually need to buy one. Some nice areas that aren't that far from JMH, are Midtown, Shenandoah and the Coral Way Corridor.

Hey Safire,

Mario is right, that neighborhood is really not the best. I used to live in Allapattah for a while, northwest of that area, and it wasn't pretty. I lived in a gated community, and felt safer when I was inside. If you could find a place south-west of JMH, just past the Miami River, Flagler and Little Havana with it, you'd be much better off. The closer to Coral Way (south) and west you go, the nicer it gets. Then you'd probably have to commute using public transportation, until eventually you'd be getting a car.

I lived in Shenandoah for a long time, and that was a great location. Close to Coconut Grove, Miracle Mile, Downtown.

JMH is ok thugh, because you can actually take the Metrorail there. Which opens up a lot of options.

Look at some of the buldings close to US-1 on SW 27th Ave. There are several high rises that are walking distance to the Metro stop there and are fairly reasonable. Also, anywhere in eastern Little Havana, like on Flagler between 8th Ave and the River would work too. A short walk to Government Center and I think one or 2 stops on the train. There's a bunch of high rises on that stretch where you can get a 1 BR for $1000. And a much better location than Allapattah.

Downtown and Brickell are probably too expensive. Although if you look in what realotrs like to call "West Brickell," which is really Little Havana, there are a lot of decent apartment building a short walk from the Brickell Metrorail station that have reasonable rents. Just have to look west of the Metro tracks as East the rents will double.
    tmtheu97 likes this.

Matt is right, you may be better off looking around an area close to the Metrorail. 27th ave and 37th ave, between Coral Way and U.S. 1, are both near Metro stops and may be better for you than around Jackson. I actually searched (I'm a realtor) and theres a place in the grove on Mary St that is renting a 1 bed for $925 and a 2-bd for $1,100. The places off 27 ave are listed a bit higher than your budget of $1200 but you may find one listed by owner and not a realtor in that neighborhood. You can try craigslist. If you can get a place out of the immediate area of JMH by finding a private owner rather than realtor, I would highly recommend you do that because the surrounding area is not very nice. Take Mario's advice and get a car asap.

New User

Thank you so much guys! I will definately check those areas before I settle for Dominion. I have been checking Craig's List but haven't seen many ads for apartments in the areas you mention so I'm searching other websites. I will have to get a car as soon as I can but I'm sure it will at least take a few months so I still need a reliable way to get to work in the mean time. @tmtheu97 could you provide a link to that place? I wouldn't mind checking it out. Thanks again guys, it's so hard looking for a place when you're not physically there to check things out yourself so I really appreciate the help

Hey Safire, I sent you a private message so you know to look out for it to get you that info.
    Safire likes this.

Matt is right the Metro is the way to go I would recommend US1 and 27th or possibly Coral Way and 17th Ave just east of this intersection it is not to far away and there are some nice places in that area as well. I believe that area is referred to as the Roads