Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Relocating from U.K

Hi I have just came across this site and its really nice to see all the brits that have succesfully relocated
    Im a 20 years old female and I am currently saving so in a few years I can relocate.
    ( My dad is american so I thought its time to try it out on his side of the world )
    I have a few questions any help appreciated
    Jobs I would be looking for are receptionist/admin work would that pay enough for me to even be able to afford to rent on my own in a safe neighbourhood ?or would I need to share ?
    What areas are great for young people and transport as I dont think I would be driving straight away there ?
    And is it easy for brits to make friends out there ?

Thanks

Default Re: Relocating from U.K

Congrats on your decision to come join us, kwilliams. I'm sure you'll do fine here as South Florida is full of people from all around the world. There should be plenty of work for you in the admin field. I personally know of a handful of friends that are looking to hire office personnel now. Granted, you are talking about a couple of years down the line but there should be plenty of jobs available.
    I have never shared rent with anyone I didn't know but I did go to UM (University of Miami) and met plenty of people who did and for the most part it went well with them. I'm sure there are plenty of horror stories with that setup gone wrong, but I didn't encounter fellow students who had any major issues. You can find rental places in decent neighborhoods where you should be able to cover the rent on your own but for the most part it will probably be an apt/condo. That may fit you better as you will have the opportunity to meet more people in that setting. I would consider Midtown, Brickell, the Grove, South Miami, and South Beach for a younger person as yourself. Midtown and Brickell you may find to be pricy but you may get lucky. I know a friend that is renting a condo in Brickell for relatively cheap. He found an owner who has owned the property for a long time and didn't need to rent it at a ridiculous price. I am new to this forum as well but have found that there are many people willing to help and give very insightful info, especially for those not from the area. Btw, I'm from Miami but that's very nice of you all.
    Hope this has helped, kwilliams. Good luck and I think you'll like it here.

New User

Wink Re: Relocating from U.K

Hi thanks for the reply I will research apartments in those areas what is the average price ?

Hi and welcome to 411

I moved here from England 4 years ago and achieved everything you are hoping for so it is doable. I would most definitely wait until you are least 21 or you'll have no fun here at all. I didn't know a soul when I moved but still have met so many people, and also my boyfriend while living out here.

Here is my story:

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/ho...i-from-england

Hope it helps you make the first step!

New User

Hi Jess !

Definatley will be waiting till im over 21 I wanna party lol , Your storys so inspiring it takes so much to just get up and go I hope I can do the same its easy to sit here planning it but when it comes to im gonna be so scared !
    Did you find jobhunting hard ? Ive worked as a receptionist and worked behind bars here but not sure if thats gonna help over there?
    Also done abit of dancing at nightclubs before I think they call it go-go dancing there , basically dont mind what I do aslong as its there haha

I think having a solid steady job planned before you move will be the key to your success. Coming out to bartend or do some dancing is a quick road to burning out, having no money or becoming a stripper. And you may not want to end up doing that.

As you don't need to worry about your visa, you have it easier than most people trying to move here from Europe but you are still like everyone else in the US dreaming of a better sunnier life here. My advise is like what Doug and I both did. Come here first. Try and see if you can find a job, see if you will actually like living here, not vacationing here as they are 2 very different things.

If it is the place to you, get a good well paying job and make sure they give you health insurance. One taste of America's shockingly different healthcare system could send you home to the NHS before you know it.

New User

Thanks for the advice Jess , I will do that . Luckily I can get lots of help from my dad aswell.

Yeah, these two are painting a bit of a rosy picture. But the job situation here is bad. Real bad.

Jess is an exception. She came here, she got in with the right people and found a job quickly. But for every one of her there are ten people who come here and spend 6 months looking for work before they go back.

We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the country (currently around 14% I believe), and if you are coming here without a college degree you'll be competing against all the other uneducated people (we have the lowest rate of college degrees in the nation, I believe) for jobs. Most of which require you speaking Spanish. ESPECIALLY in admin work. You get jobs here by who you know, mostly. And if you don't know anyone, you are in for a long, long road.

Add in that our average salary compared to cost of living is among the worst in the country, and Miami is a HARD place to make it. A lot of people write in here saying "Oh, but I'm determined. I WILL make it." But tel that to the 200,000+ unemployed people in this city. I'm not saying don't come here. I'm saying don't come here and expect you'll find a job. Again, Jess is an exception, and good for her.

Then again, she's already muttering about "needing to leave," and she works in admin. So there may be an opening for a British receptionist by the time you get here.

Hahaha thanks Matt, but I'm not going yet. I just wanna live in Key West, but I console myself with trips down there every few months.