Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: Oh no, another person with a relocating question

New User

Default Oh no, another person with a relocating question

Hi there,

Been reading quite a bit here on the forum and got to say that it's a good thing you got going here,
    i'd like to be a part of the action as well, and have therefore constructed my own question(s) ta-da:

I currently live in Hong Kong, im not Chinese though, i'm Swedish (Caucasian if that even matters for someone) so same-same really.. Male 25 years old

Well, i'm a bit fed up with my current position and this intense city (awesome city though) after several years here, needed a change so the company had a position in Miami and i decided to give that a go, why not right? I have lived in the US in the past where i spent some time in New Jersey/New York for about 1,5 years, actually lived in the Portuguese area of Newark for some time so I guess i understand somewhat of the vibes of MIA (= Clueless, i have no idea)

wasn't planning on writing a life story novel here but my question is simple, where is a good place to live for a young working guy, that wants to hang out with some like minded boys and girls, have some nightlife around, preferbly packed with young singel femals hungry for some swedish loving? (don't need the whole tourist scene, i got that here plenty and is a bit tired of it, though im sure the tourist scene in MIA is a bit more fun than here where its mainly older gentleman as business travelers, trying to hook up with young asian chicks with daddy issues "boys will be boys") I will be working by Doral or something like that, address below, I’d like to live somewhere where things are happening in a walking distance or so, I’ve looked into Sobe/Miami beach, but could that work with the commute? please other area suggestions is welcome, I like the whole idea of living by the beach and being close to many things even though you're not necessarily right in the middle of it all, since that's just tireding after some time of course

Budget is 1000-1500 USD (as closer to 1K the better)

"NW 87th Ave"

any ideas?

oh and i'm trying to get a bit away from the whole work work and drink drink thing, that will of course still be a big part of the coming life episode, but I am sure you can get some value added to your lifestyle so to say, than only that, what's there to do as in activities? (interest; working and drinking, and somewhat outdoorsy, relaxing)

Last one; What about the dating scene there, any good? Are people relaxed or stuck up? (rather generalized question I know but I’m on forum, it's okey)

Appraciate your help, THANK YOU
    Mjau
    Last edited by bigcatmjauu; 04-12-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Can't Spell

Default Re: oh no, another person with a relocating question....

Hi Mjau

I don't know why you ever left Sweeden. Hottest girls in the world by a landslide. You'll be disappointed by what we have here, though I hear it's better than Hong Kong.

Miami is more like living in Latin America than the US. As a foreigner already, the whole cultural-outsider thing isn't as big a deal to you as it woudl be for someone from, say, New York moving here. But it is a hard adjeustment nonetheless.

The Beach is nice, but it's a hassle getting on and off the island sometime. And rents are high. In your range you'd be lookign at a studio or small one bedroom apartment over there. The commute to Doral would be about half an hour, and you're going against traffic, so that wouildn't be a huge issue.

The thing with the beach is, it's not a young, working people vibe. And you wouldn't meet girls you'd "date" there. Bang while they're on vacation, maybe. But not date. And the residents out there are very transient, so you don't really meet anyone with "regular" jobs much. You may find this frustrating as a young professional.

I recommend Midtown right now. It has probably the largest concentration of young, working professionals and has a lot of bars, restaurants and stores walkign distance. I would opt to live there if my job did not require living on the beach. It's the only part of Miami that feels like a real American city, and the people who live there are generally very cool.

People may say Brickell for young professionals, but I say avoid it. The residents are mostly stuck up South Americans, and I've never found the vibe there to be very friendly. If you're into SA chicks, there are some hot ones on Brickell. But again, stuck up and not worth your time.

Insofar as dating, Miami is a GREAT city to be a single, 25 year old guy. I was once, and, really, still am. There are a lot of tourists here, meaning casual sex is easy to find. And the girls who live here never seem much on relationships or committment. Easy to find girls to just hang out with and hook up with, or booty call late at night. If you're looking for "something more," this is the worst place ever. People are usualyl dating/hooking up with a few people at the same time, so there's not much in the way of depth. But you're 25. So I'm guessing you'll like it just fine.
    tmtheu97 and bigcatmjauu like this.

New User

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your awesome detailed reply, midtown sounds like a winner, i'll check it out and also the beach and see what feels right at the time soon when touching ground this summer, Let's see how it goes...

How is the whole "making friends" scene in general? Living is Asia right now, it's easy, since most westerners are in the same boat so that's not really a big deal, what sucks though is people coming and going every 3-6 months, i have a feeling MIA is similar for some reason, maybe not?

anyway, let's see how it goes, will be cool to try out for a few years

Thanks again Matt, goody! “mucho appricato” as it could be in Spanish, maybe, probably not ...

Mjauuu

New User

Oh and the leaving Sweden thing, I’d say it's a good place when you are a "mature" man - but until then, it's overall pretty boring, weather kills the spirit a bit... True with the girls though, they are something special... But they are only out 2 months of the year (summertime) than all the girls, and most people for that matter crawl in to their caves/flats, and are no where to be seen for the coming 9-10 months... well sort of

Default Re: Oh no, another person with a relocating question

That's quite a picture you paint of Hong Kong. I spent 3 months there once and loved it. But 3 months isn't a few years, plus I'm a girl, not a business traveler looking for 'daddy issues' lol.

Doral is a bit of a commute but I still say live near the action. Midtown and Brickell both work, but Midtown is cheaper. There is still a lot to do round there and you won't be bored.

Dating... well, if you are looking to date around you'll be fine. Finding someone special, that's a whole other story but it is possible, as most of my once single friends have all paired off.

When do you arrive in Miami?

New User

Hi Jess,

Thanks for your comments,

Well 3 months is surely enough to build an opinion and get a good feeling for the city, don't get me wrong here, i love the city and it is one of the coolest places to live for sure... but, I’d like to try something new, and here we are hehe....

I like what you are saying about being where the action is, and that is indeed something I’m looking for, as you know Hong Kong is a hectic city for good and bad, so having it completely quiet around isn't really fun....

as it looks like right now I’ll be starting around July 1st, around that date

Funny enough, i just meet a guy here that i rented out my place to and he is from South Florida and lived all over, so that was good chit chatting a bit about the area than... he was a big fan of the keys, so i'm sure that's plenty to check out... chilled out and easy going as myself, so that sounded pretty neat

One thing though, that someone could answer me on maybe, how is the safety in these area? Like anyone else, I’m surely looking for a place where it doesn’t have to feel unsafe all the time...

... I’d lived in Newark for a 1,5 year, and i mean, there was A LOT of things going on there every night around the city... but as i told many people, sure it was, but it didn't really affect me in anyway.... I’ve turned into a bit of a wimp I think living in extremely safe Asia the past years haha J

Thanks again,

MjauMjauMjau
    Last edited by bigcatmjauu; 04-17-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Still can't spell

Every city has it's bad parts of town but neither Brickell or Midtown are near those particularly. Living there, you should not run into any trouble.

Car break-ins are really the only thing to worry about. That's a huge crime here but if you don't keep anything of value in your car you should be fine.

And you are very right about the transience. People are constantly leaving here and if you are the type that likes lifelong friendships with people who live near you, this is going to be a depressing place. You have to be good at making friends to have a consistent social life here as it realyl is a revolving door.

Mid town would be more dangerous than that of Brickell or Mid-Beach. Mid town is basically 36th near Biscayne and that corner has hourly motels, so you can imagine what goes on. North of 36th to Miami Ave can get a little sketchy. Its an up-and-coming area with some high rises, new shops, and lots of little art studios everywhere with 'graffiti art' on the buildings.

Brickell is very expensive and $1500 would be a studio if you can find one. Downtown is close to Brickell and has some small 1 bedrooms for $1500. But again, its downtown and has some sketchy streets close by and the area empties out at night time (unless its a Heat Game or Concert).

Your commute to Doral from the beach is 30-40 minutes depending on when you leave. I work in Doral and lived in South Beach and now North Beach and South Beach was about 25-30 minutes in the early morning and 40-45 minutes when I worked 3-Midnight. The traffic goes From Doral to Downtown in the morning and from Miami to Doral in the late afternoon/early evening. Usually by 2:30/3:00PM the traffic on the 836 is building up. Now that I live in North Beach, I take the 112 to doral. Has red lights after passing the airport, but never any real traffic, even at 4PM when I close the restaurant. Coming home at night is 25 minutes, sometimes 20 if you are in a hurry and its 1AM :-)

Doral itself is a Spanish Suburb with pretty much 100% spanish speaking population. Its a shame because its very pretty area and of course, the golf courses are wonderful. Doral has the chain restaurants, subdivisions, and bad traffic in the late afternoon. Lots of White collar jobs so at 5PM it can take me 20-25 minutes to drive from the resort to the 836 which is usually a 5 minute drive (its why I hate opening).

After seeing rents in Doral and Brickell, we decided to live in South Beach. Same amount of money, and you get to live in such a famous city, walk to the beach, and not need a car. So instead of going to chili's every friday night in Doral, we can walk to hundreds of restaurants and then stroll down Ocean Dr. for some people-watching and music listening.

Good luck!