Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Doug
  • 1 Post By Blackford Oakes

Thread: Police up to same old scam...

Thumbs down Police up to same old scam...

Its been posted here before, the police are up to their old sting, now on 15th st where someone runs out in the middle of the street then whistles the policeman down the block to give a ticket.

Heads-up!

Default Re: Police up to same old scam....

Don't you just love that technique. It is so obvious they are just doing that to protect and serve isn't it?

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Can you please explain to a newbie what this particular law enforcement technique entails and what I need to watch out for?

Dutchie

I think it's just in SoBe Dutchie, not down in Kendall.

Basically, they're trying to find people who won't stop for pedestrians. Last time it happened on Alton Road -- the police used a decoy who would jump out unto the road at the last possible moment while you're driving by. If you don't stop and let the person pass, they'll signal a policeman down the street who will give you a ticket for failing to stop for a pedestrian. I agree that we need to make sure that motorists stop for pedestrians, but from what I've heard, the way that they're doing it is a set-up because it's impossible to react fast enough.
    Gus likes this.

I've almost been run down a few times while walking across 15th Street, so I feel this is a valid issue that needs addressing. But the technique sounds like it could use a little tweaking...

Again, if people yielded to pedestrians in the Beach traffic would be about 10 times worse. I'm totally ok with it, and I think aside from the revenue the cops are too.

If they really wanted to nail people they'd get them going through crosswalks on right turns before people could cross.

The way you describe it, Doug, it sounds like an extremely absurd thing to do on the part of the police.

First of all, how do you even have a chance to react fast enough to someone jumping into the street in front of you. And then you're supposed to take the blame for not having superman-reflexes?

And how stupid is that, to have someone (the decoy) risking his/her life to make the beach a safer place for pedestrians. Because there will be that driver, sooner or later, not paying attention.

As Matt suggested, the idea would be to be on the look-out for drivers cutting off pedestrians at a crosswalk. Even though I must admit, my patience has been tested many times with aimlessly strolling tourists on the beach with no awareness of their surroundings or consideration to the drivers, walking across the streets in their slow-mo fashion and totally holding up traffic.

rk

Doug left out a crucial detail - the decoy walks out onto a marked crosswalk, not anywhere else onto the road.

gUk

Is this at designated crossings or just people crossing the road. As i thought you guys have "J-walking" (apologies if that's pronounced wrong but you know what i mean).

My experience with police on holidays is just avoid them. The police in Mexico are known for there corruption and scams so i think if i handled those guys for 4 week i should be OK. Also i have no intention of driving, so all i need to do for this particular scam is wish you guys that are luck and safe journeys.

Is there any other "scams"I should keep an eye out for? For example in Mexico if you was walking back to the hotel drunk, but drunk as staggering back, in such a state its obvious you was drunk. Then the police had a tendency to pull you up and "fine" you.

Good post.

g

Default Re: Police up to same old scam...

Thanks, rk. It's better that it's only focused on the crosswalks, but even there, it's important for a pedestrian to make eye contact with the driver before starting to cross the road. If someone jumps out into a crosswalk, it can still happen too fast for the driver to be able to stop in time.

This would be a profitable corner to operate a sting from. Only issue is I'm two blocks away, but I rarely make that left on red.

That's an easy five tickets per light on the Noon rush.

Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 04-17-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    Gus likes this.

How is this a scam?

The video above clearly shows the problem. Its typical Miami lack of consideration. If this is what cops are trying to stop then I am all for it. People are unbelievably selfish and rude in this city. Especially on the road.

Granted, I have found myself trying to turn and not always seeing a person right next to me. It takes some effort to look for them sometimes. But to deliberately speed up so you can beat the pedestrian and save yourself an extra half second of travel time? You deserve a ticket. For being a dick.

I dont think the original description in this thread is accurate. When I first read it, I pictured a car driving 45 miles an hour down a major street and some dude jumping out in front of him.

That isn't the case.

Given the fact that someone is going to get hit by one of these idiots, I'm all for what the cops are doing. Teach the locals some manners. God knows they could use it.

Protect and serve? Yes. Protecting pedestrians from getting hit, hurt, or killed.
    Last edited by MiamiBurger; 06-03-2012 at 03:16 AM.

No it is totally a scam. Because they basically entrap you. Like really come out of nowhere all of a sudden. Fred can give you a description.

I make this point all the time, but if people started slowing down at every crosswalk in this city looking for pedestrians that may or may not be there, traffic would be unbearable. As it is, I think most drivers here understand the urgency. Pedestrians just need to do their part ot help aleviate congesiton in th city. WHich means waiting until the road is clear to cross. It's not a lot to ask.