Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: From Seattle to Miami

Default Re: From Seattle to Miami

Comparing Seattle to Miami is like comparing apples and oranges -- literally!
    Mario and Matt Meltzer like this.

New User

Hello all,
    I am a young single female born and raised in Seattle, I did spend a summer in New Orleans a couple years ago.
    I am looking to relocate to Miami in July/August of this year.

I am looking to move to Miami for the beaches and the sunshine, also for the electronic dance music, the nightlife and to be single and free.
    I work in the hotel/restaurant industry

I am VERY interested in moving to South Beach, but am open to other areas(being able to walk to the beach is huge, and being able to go to shows without getting a cab)

I do not have a car so public transportation or living somewhere that has it all is important

also, i will be moving alone, so how easy is it to meet new people, and is there any chance of me getting a job if i know only very minimal spanish?

are there certain areas of South Beach that I should avoid due to high crime rates? I can probably afford about $900 month in rent. and I will be bringing my dog with me.

any and all tips are greatly appreciated. thank you.

For what you're trying to do, without a car, South beach is about the only place that will work. There really aren't any parts of it I'd say to avoid, per se. Nothing particularly dangerous in that part of Miami. That said, how much money do you have saved up? It's summer so it may take you a long time to find restaurant-type work. And it's kinda off season, so the money won't be great.

You can find service industry work without knowing much Spanish, yes. Lots of people do it.

$900 a month in rent is doable in South beach, but it takes some serious searching. And what you find may not be all that nice. Or allow pets. Good luck but make sure you have at least $5000 saved up.

This thread has been great I have always wanted to go to Seattle, I have friends there and they think I'd love it. But it is good seeing both views of the city. The two do seem pretty opposite as far as cities go so I'm sure there are plenty of differences.
    Mario likes this.

New User

Thank you all for all of your in-put. I am in agreement on almost all you have said IB and definitely appreciate your blunt honesty. I cannot wait to get some stuff lined up and hope to see some of you when i get there as you have all been a great help. Thank you

Default Re: from Seattle to Miami

Interesting perspective IB, see here in Miami in regards to desperation to finding each other, men will def approach women, so women don't have to do much besides looking nice. And some men down here can be pretty direct. I was in Seattle for only a few days, so I didn't notice the fashion that much, besides it was cold. But at least they do have an H&M up there.

How much of that whole "men approaching women" thing is the Latin culture?

The sheer numbers here (much more single ladies than guys) would indicate that women would have to be the aggressors.

I guess a big part is. It is simply expected from Latin men within that culture to approach a woman they like. And why not? I think it works pretty well that way.

I'm not sure if it is me being partly Latin myself, or if I'm just being old-fashioned in this regard and expect the traditional roles to be in place, but I think that's how it should be: The man goes and pursues the woman he likes. He woes her, explicitly. Because, how else will she know he wants her?

Maybe we as humans have developed into more sensitive beings, and the fear of being rejected is more present in men nowadays, but generally in all of us.

If I was a man, I imagine I'd be bold as hell.

Well, Ingrid. That mentality of gender roles was developed when women were generally considered weaker and "inferior" by society. They needed to be taken care of, protected, and "wooed," by the man who showed he could protect her best.

Feminism changed that. You all outnumber us in the workfroce now, and if you look at salary comparisons of men and women between 18-34, you actually make MORE money on average (salary disparity figures take into account executive pay and other jobs held by people from generations that were more sexist).

So, basically, we're equal now. And I like that. But you know what that means? You have to approach and "Woo" us too now. Good looking guys with a decent income have a bevvy of options now. So it's just as much on YOU to convince US we're wanted as vice versa.

Because if you don't make a move, how are we supposed to know you're interested?

Yes, we are equals now. We always have been. But we're still different. We have different strengths: The man is physically stronger, the woman mentally and emotionally more so. But physically weaker does not equal inferior, and that's what women were fighting for: Equality. Not being exploited and oppressed but enjoy the same rights and opportunities that men did.

I am grateful for the changes feminism brought about, otherwise I wouldn't be enjoying the freedoms I have today. Even though it went from one extreme to the other. Almost as if a woman constantly has to be in defense or aggressor mode in order to protect her equality - in the work force at least - and that's not natural either. But maybe that is more relaxed now. What I don't like about it is that it seems like a competition between the genders, whereas what we truly want is unity.

Well, do you men like to be wooed? I'm curious. Do you want what we want: Being wanted?

I think women give men plenty of signs that they are interested, if they are, through body language, gestures, etc. which is an invitation for the man to make the move. That's how it goes. If she wants you, you'll sense it.

I wanted to let you know I have been here since the 1rst of May and I abosultely love it here. It all depends what you are looking for though. I find it much easier to get around here vs Seattle. The people are so friendly here. So much culture and diversity. I love all the independent restaurants and businesses. I feel like Miami is a combination of NYC, South America, Europe, and of course the US. Seeing the sun everyday is so good for the soul too! I wish you all the best and hope you make it to Miami!

Quote Originally Posted by willbascue View Post
    Thank you all for all of your in-put. I am in agreement on almost all you have said IB and definitely appreciate your blunt honesty. I cannot wait to get some stuff lined up and hope to see some of you when i get there as you have all been a great help. Thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12