Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: From Seattle to Miami

New User

Default From Seattle to Miami

Hello
    I am really considering the possibility of moving to the Miami area in about a year. I am hoping to get some insight on this as i have never been to miami. I know that the climate is very very different from what i am used to, however i am not walking blindly into a new climate. i am very used to moving as i have live in Tennessee, arkansas, wyoming, washington and california. of all of these my favorite was california but the economy there is horrible and i think i am ready to start a new chapter in my life that miami might just be a perfect fit for. I will be transferring a job down there to ensure that i have work but i am looking for advice on neighborhoods. preferably close to downtown and the beach. it will only be myself so a cheaper place would be preferred but i do understand that is a little hard to do with a location of my preference but i am open to all suggestions . if you have lived in seattle i would like to know how you adjusted and which city you liked more. thanks in advance for the input.
    will

Default Re: from Seattle to Miami

Hi Will, welcome! There are many great reasons to move to Miami, but the economy isn't one of them. Florida has some of the highest foreclosure rates in the nation, and the job situation in Miami is quite bleak at the moment. If you want to come for the sunshine, the exotic culture, or just a change of pace, that's fine, but I would make sure you had several thousand in savings to get you through your first few months here.

I haven't lived in Seattle, but I did live in Portland and would go up to Seattle on occasion. Culturally, the west coast is a much brainier and friendlier place, by and large, so you may find the east coast abruptness in Miami a little off-putting at first. But what seems like rudeness to one person comes across as unabashed honesty to another. How you would find it, I can't say. The best plan would be for you to spend some extended time here first as a visitor. But don't just do the vacation things. Try to experience it as a local would -- apply for some jobs, drive on the freeways, see how the rental market is in your desired area. That will help you get a realistic perspective on what your life would be like here before you take the plunge!
    Christy likes this.

New User

Thank you for your input. I am thinking about miami for the climate and beaches I will be transferring my current job. I am however wondering about some of the communities and wich are on the cheaper side but not too ghetto.
    Thanks again
    will

rk

Cheaper and still close to beach - check north beach or Aventura.

You may find this map of Miami areas marked for quality of neighborhood useful:

http://tinyurl.com/2btpcf2

(not my map, but I find it pretty good)

Hi Will,

I was in Seattle for a few days last year, great city, culture, beautiful landscapes, if only it stopped raining (I was there in March). Miami doesn't have the best job market, so if your job is transferring you that's a good option. Rent here isn't cheap but it's far more manageable than California.

New User

in my research of the average cost of housing there and the average cost of housing here miami is about 100 cheaper a month i have been able to find alot of apartments that are very cheap out there but i am wondering what the areas are like. i do love seattle but im just so tired of the cold rain and cold winters. i hope that some more of you will respond and give some insight and to those of you that already have thank you maybe we will meet someday in person.
    thank you
    will

What areas are you looking for apartments? A lot will depend on where your job will be. You say you are transferring your job here which is great. Which area will that be in?

As I said in my PM reply to you, recommendations of neighborhoods are going to be based on where you end up working. A bad commute here will completely ruin your experience.

And if you are sick of Seattle, you'll love it here. At least for a while.

New User

my decision on an area to live will likely be the deciding factor in which gamestop to pursue a transfer to i am looking into an apartment complex named cypress grove and i believe that it was located in aventura so that would likely be where i start. thank you all for the input and hope that maybe you can give me a little insight into the aventura and north miami area.
    thank you '
    will

Aventura is a nice part of the city. Near the beach, mall and movie theater, it would be a good place to move to.

Yeah. Not a whole lot to do up there, but a decent area that's actually convenient to freeways. Plus it's close enough to Fort Lauderdale that you can really have friends all over the metro area and never have to drive all that far.

I actually am moving from Seattle to Miami myself. I lived in Seattle for four years due to my job. I lived on Mercer Island and Alki Beach. My company's office was in Queen Ann and Renton. I know Seattle, Portland, and Canada pretty well. Issaquah and Salish Falls are still two of the most beautiful areas I have ever been to in the US. I really love Madison Park too. I miss the topography of the land and seeing the mountains on a clear day. I miss boating on Lake Washington in the Summer and running on Alki Beach every morning.

I personally found Seattle one of the toughest cities to live in and here is why. I have more reasons besides the weather but seeing the sun four months out of the year is one of them . I think that is why everyone is grumpy . Please know this was my experience living in Seattle and doesn't have to be everyone's. I know people that absolutely love it there.

Driving around the city is a nightmare. Seattle's traffic rivals California anyday. Too many people and not enough highways and no backroads. I also drive a stick so I don't miss the hills at all. The traffic makes it hard to get together because the state is so widespread and people don't want to drive.

I lived in MN for 30 years and people are very warm, friendly, and outgoing here. I did not find that to be the case with people in WA. The only people that were nice to me were people that relocated from a different state. I hated walking into restaurants and not be greeted with a warm smile or a hello. In MN if we didn't great people we would be fired. Customer service is horrible there.

I love food and going out to new restaurants. I found Seattle very boring. I don't like Thai and Phoo. I do miss all the fresh seafood that I got everyday. I also miss the Cactus, John Howie, Crush, and the Phonenician.

I miss all my Persian, Indian, & Philippino friends. I love how diverse it there.

I found the work ethic really bad in Seattle which you can use to your advantage. I also found they pay very well compared to MN. Unfortunately don't expect to have a strong team at work. People are so laid back and passive. I don't believe you can be that way when you work in technology. They have this attitude we will get it done when it stops raining. When is will that be? It rains everyday. They refuse to work overtime. When it turns 5pm it is like a dinner bell goes off and people trample eachother down the stairs. I know it is because they don't want to be stuck in traffic and need to get home to their kids.

The fashion is absolutely horrible in Seattle. I will say the men dress better than the women. Women wear sweatshirts and jeans to work. They love their commercial stores. It is hard to find independant boutiques. I use to fly to NYC and even back home to MN to buy my clothes for the season. That's how bad it is there when MN is more fashionable then Seattle. Even though Nordstrom is based out of Seattle they tend to carry more of a California style which I do not care for. Shopping in Portland on NE 23rd St and Canada are much better. Especially if you are into jewelry and vintage shopping. Very high end in Portland at a great price if you know where to go.

I also found the women so desperate to find a man. I think it has ruined it for the rest of us that have self-esteem and self-respect. Men won't approach you because the women are the ones that approach men. I think it is because they deseprately want to get married because Seattle can be a very lonely place.

I also don't like that most of the business are geared towards the non-working women. Most happy hours end at 5pm. It is hard to find a good hair stylist after 6pm. There were not a lot of nice gyms in Seattle. I liked the Pro Club but they had very few classes after 5pm. So many people are independtly wealthy because of Amazon and Microsoft. A lot of people do not have to work.

Again this is my experience and that is why I told my company "I love working for you but I hate living in Seattle". You can choose to let me work remotly or I am leaving. They chose to keep me.

I move to Miami next weekend. I will let you know what I think. I have always had a great time visiting. Unfortunatley visiting and living can be two different things but i know leaving Seattle was the best decision I could make for myself.
    rk and housemusic like this.

Wow, that makes me reeeeally happy to not live in Seattle! I love MN, all my family is there, so if you are from that happy state and move to a grumpy one, that can't have been much fun. Can't say people in Miami are much friendlier but it's a lot easier to deal with amongst the sunshine and palm trees.

Default Re: From Seattle to Miami

I'm certainly so Seattle apologist, but IB you are sooooo offf....

First, insofar as Restaurants Seattle is usually mentioned in the same breath as Chicago and Las Vegas in terms of interesting, innovative and a variety of cuisine. A level Miami JUST got to. And Minneapolis can't even smell. That city has legitimately good neighborhood restaurants everywhere, something I actually miss here in Miami.

And the people I found to be obnoxiously friendly. Like the whole city was full of Nordstrom employees or something. I actually got sick of it. Like when I would infuse any kind of East Coast sarcasm (learned from my New Yorker mom) into a conversation everybody was like "Why do you have to be so mean and negative?" It was actually something I DIDN'T like. Like I don't enjoy having to have conversations with strangers, and every time I go back there I'm forced to.

Finally, the girls there never seemed all that desperate to me, and they all seemed to work. Happy hours went on well into the night, and the only reasons guys don't approach girls is because they're pussies. That may be the last vestige of Seattle-ness I have left, actually. I don't approach girls either.

People leave at 5 because Seattle, like Miami, is a work to live kinda place. Work is not life to people there because there's a lot else to do than be in an office. So not being willing to sacrifice your life to your employer? I hardly see that as a negative.

The rest of it you're pretty dead on, but I've honestly never heard anyone complain about the people and food in Seattle. I don't even eat seafood and I love the food there!
    tmtheu97 likes this.

Matt,

Please know I mean no disrespect to the people that live there. I just did not have a good experience living in Seattle.
    I am glad that you loved living in Seattle and I wish I would have experienced all the wonderful things you did. Maybe I would have stayed. When was the last time you lived there? Maybe things have changed since you lived there. I do agree most people love it but I also feel people have a lot of misconceptions of Seattle. Everyone thinks it is this amazing Metropolitian city which it can be for some people that have not experienced anything like it before. I have spent a lot of time working in NYC so Seattle didn't impress me too much. Maybe it is an East Coast vs West Coast preference that I have.

As for MN not being able to smell? That is why we have 16 nominations from James Beard this year because we can't smell? Interesting but that is the general misconception of MN. The food here is amazing and I am sure if I took you to the restaurants i go to you would agree.

I completely agree people should not be married to their job but I work in Telecommunications which is demanding of people's time since we have to support our customer's technology 24/7. I am also from the Midwest where we are known to have an amazing work ethic.

Also please know I have meet wonderful people in Seattle as well. I just think from a customer service experience is very different then what I am use to being from the Midwest.

Again I am glad you love Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    I'm certainly so Seattle apologist, but IB you are sooooo offf....

First, insofar as Restaurants Seattle is usually mentioned in the same breath as Chicago and Las Vegas in terms of interesting, innovative and a variety of cuisine. A level Miami JUST got to. And Minneapolis can't even smell. That city has legitimately good neighborhood restaurants everywhere, something I actually miss here in Miami.

And the people I found to be obnoxiously friendly. Like the whole city was full of Nordstrom employees or something. I actually got sick of it. Like when I would infuse any kind of East Coast sarcasm (learned from my New Yorker mom) into a conversation everybody was like "Why do you have to be so mean and negative?" It was actually something I DIDN'T like. Like I don't enjoy having to have conversations with strangers, and every time I go back there I'm forced to.

Finally, the girls there never seemed all that desperate to me, and they all seemed to work. Happy hours went on well into the night, and the only reasons guys don't approach girls is because they're pussies. That may be the last vestige of Seattle-ness I have left, actually. I don't approach girls either.

People leave at 5 because Seattle, like Miami, is a work to live kinda place. Work is not life to people there because there's a lot else to do than be in an office. So not being willing to sacrifice your life to your employer? I hardly see that as a negative.

The rest of it you're pretty dead on, but I've honestly never heard anyone complain about the people and food in Seattle. I don't even eat seafood and I love the food there!

rk

IB, thanks for the interesting perspective. I don't agree with everything you said about Seattle but I never lived there either. I think you're pretty correct about MN. Will be very interested in what you think of Miami after your move. Good luck with the move.

Thank you RK!

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    IB, thanks for the interesting perspective. I don't agree with everything you said about Seattle but I never lived there either. I think you're pretty correct about MN. Will be very interested in what you think of Miami after your move. Good luck with the move.

Thanks Jess! I am glad your experience visiting MN has been a good one! I love the people in MN. They have always been so warm and friendly. I agree the sunshine and the palm trees will be a great change!

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Wow, that makes me reeeeally happy to not live in Seattle! I love MN, all my family is there, so if you are from that happy state and move to a grumpy one, that can't have been much fun. Can't say people in Miami are much friendlier but it's a lot easier to deal with amongst the sunshine and palm trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    ....they're pussies.
    Classic!
    dylan likes this.

Oh I did not love living there at all. Hence why I moved as far away as possible. PLENTY of negatives there, just the restaurants and rude people weren't two of them.

I will admit, I know nothing of Minnesota cuisine. I just know Seattle is known in culinary circles as one of the top restaurant cities in America, so hard to understand your point there.

As I said, I'm no apologist, otherwise I'd still live there. I moved in the late 90s, but I'm back probably 2-3 weeks a year visiting family. and I find the city much improved since I left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast