Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    wcd
    New User

Default Neighborhood advice

Hello, I am new to this forum and would appreciate some advice regarding recommended neighborhoods. My son will be graduating from college in a few weeks and has been offered a job in Miami. The office is on NW 66th St., just west of the Palmetto Expressway. It is a sales job so he will be driving from that location to other areas around Miami, he doesn't want a long commute from his home to his office. With that being said, what area would be best for him to look for a rental? He is looking for a 1 bedroom in the $900/mth range (is that possible?). And of course being his mother, I would like him to be in a safe area. Any suggestions/advice would be most welcome and appreciated.
    Many thanks!!!

Default Re: Neighborhood advice

Welcome to MiamiBeach411!

I am not quite sure of that area. Do you have a cross street, or the name of the area?

wcd
    New User

Thank you!! The office is south of 934/NW 74th and west of 826/Palmetto Expy. it is between Doral (to the west) and Hialeah (to the east). Any suggestions would be appreciated

I would definitely choose Doral over Hialeah, just as Doral is more family suburbs and quiet. But I don't know much about the area... sorry! I am sure some of the other members will be able to help further. But as it is a sales job, and he will be driving around, perhaps he'd like to live in an area slightly more lively, and nearer the center of Miami?

wcd
    New User

Thanks for your input I am sure he would prefer to be in a more lively area but the reality is that he has to be at the office by 7:30 before he gets on the road, so something nearby is important. Do you know how bad the traffic is on the Palmetto Expy around the airport?
    Thanks!!

Traffic on the Palmetto Expressway aroudn the airport is about as bad as it gets in Miami. Like the Palmetto is the icon of Miami traffic. Gotten better in the past few years. But still God awful THAT SAID....

If he's going West in the morning he could live a lot of places more lively. Could, if he could pay more than $900 a month for a 1 BR. I'd look in Doral, Miami Lakes, Miami Springs (few apartments there but a nice area) or maybe even Westchester/Coral Way. None of those areas are all that exciting, but they're not dangerous.

If he can find a roommate, he could look more in the midtown area which has some good options.

rk

You may this map useful (not mine) as you go about evaluating different areas. It shows neighborhoods color coded by "quality":

http://tinyurl.com/2btpcf2

wcd
    New User

rk, thanks...that is a great map. Unfortunately he doesn't know what his route will be yet so not sure what direction he will e traveling. Hopefully he will find out before he settles on a place. As far as rent he could possibly go up to $1,100 if it means being in a better area. Where exactly is midtown, I don't see it on the map.

Midtown in on the main land of Miami but near the Miami beach side... not near Doral unfortunately.

The route will be wholly dependent on where he's living. Midtown is just north of Downtown Miami, kind of near the 195 causeway. It's the only real young, American professional area in the city. It was up and coming for a long time but seems to have finally shown up. Drive to Doral would probably be half an hour, which is ok by our standards.

rk

Midtown is the neighborhood named "Upper East Side" in the map I posted earlier. Here's a map from wikipedia that shows it more clearly:
    Name:  Miami_neighborhoodsmap.JPG
Views: 6884
Size:  97.4 KB

wcd
    New User

He might be interested in midtown if it is about a 30 minute commute...is that time realistic in rush hour? His office is just south of "Medley" (far left hand corner of the map above). He told me he wants to be somewhere that is somewhat lively, doesn't want to be living out in the everglades haha. Would he be able to find a one bedroom for $1,100 in midtown?
    Would Coral Gables be an option? Is that area livelier than Miami Springs/Miami Lakes/Doral but within his price range?
    I can't tell you what a wonderful resource you all have been, thanks for taking the time to reply!!!

I don't think he's finding a 1 BR in Midtown or the Gables for $1100. The Gables is lively, yes. A little older, and not as much nightlife as midtown. But a good place to live. 30 minutes from Midtown to Medley is legitimate in Rush Hour since it's going against traffic.

rk

Yes, Matt is correct on all counts. $1100 in Midtown will be tough now that rents have been creeping up.

Two sites that I find useful for looking up available rentals are realtor.com and hotpads.com
    The zip code for midtown is 33137 and 33127

Here's a map showing all Miami area zip codes which you'll find helpful when searching for rentals:

http://www.homeappraisalsflorida.com...ami%20dade.jpg

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Watch out with those rental sites. They are not bad per se, but I've found several issues and you need to do your research.

1. Sometimes addresses are way off (I mean WAY off). They show in Midtown and are in Homestead.

2. These sites mostly just harvest postings from other web sites. They are not necessarily current.

3. What may be called "Coral Gables" can as well be Cutler Ridge -- (good) areas are stretched a LOT.

4. The zoom level hugely influences the choices shown. You need to do your virtual legwork and zoom in, in, in to get the postings that apparently have not been selected for high-up vieweing (don't ask me for the criteria).

5. The descriptions are not necessarily validated. What may be described as a 3/2 place could have the floor surface of a 1/1. Study thoroughly.

Dutchie

who exactly one year ago was deep into all this himself
    Last edited by Hoppie; 04-21-2012 at 08:31 PM.

wcd
    New User

Wonderful information and advice, thanks everyone. Looks like Midtown and Coral Gables are out of his price range. I'll so some more research and may be back with questions. Thanks again!!!!