Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Relocating from Toronto Canada to Miami

rk

Default Re: Relocating from Toronto Canada to Miami

Jason, we are all over the place here. While it's good to have a job, I only mentioned that as a possibility for getting a visa later, after you graduate. While you are a student there are several limitations on how much and where you can work. You should browse this link for more info on student visas:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

Re. FCLI, I am not familiar with the program, but browsing their their site I noticed this:

Must return to Canada within 3 years after completing the degree for a period of time equal to the period of the exemption award.
    Re. ease of getting jobs, are you asking about while a student, or after you graduate? For the latter a lot will depend on your field of study. Some areas (Engineering, healthcare etc) are always in more demand than others. Miami is on average a poor job market with high employment and lower wages compared to most US cities, but of course many people do find jobs all then time. As a citizen of Canada you don't have as many work restrictions as other nationalities, provided the job is in your field of study and is temporary. See the link I posted in post #19 above for some details.

West Palm Beach is about an hour away without traffic. Can be two hours if you hit a real bad rush hour. But if, say, you're driving down for Sunday dinner, 60 minutes.

WPB is really nice too. Very clean and the weather is basically the same as Miami. Minimal traffic too. I'm not sure about Palm Beach State College, I've never heard of it. But if your educational goal is to be in South Florida then it may be a viable option.

Preferred Member

If your aunt & uncle claim you as a dependent on their tax returns, you can get in-state tuition at Florida International University (FIU). It's quite a good school to get a business degree from. I suppose you can enroll as an international student during the first year and pay international student tuition (and come on a F1 student visa -if the relative sponsorship route does not work), then next April, your relatives claim you as a dependent (which is true) cos they are paying for your room and board, etc, and you can qualify for in-state tuition next Fall. I'm guessing this might work based on what I read on FIU's website. But it's best to verify with them about your options.

If you don't have enough money at the moment and your relatives are not willing to pay for your tuition fees, and you are willing to get a student loan , you can qualify for private student loans as an international student if you have Americans who are willing to be guarantors for your loan.

Another thing is that you can enroll in a university in Toronto, and come to Miami as an exchange student for a year.

The Florida Law Regarding Residency for Tuition Purposes:

Basic Provision
    The law allows U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent residents to be classified as a Florida resident for tuition purposes if the applicant or the dependent applicant's parent/legal guardian has been a legal resident of the State for at least 12 months preceding the first day of classes of the term for which Florida residency is sought.

What is a dependent student?

Dependent students are 23 years or younger and are claimed by their parent or legal guardian as a dependent on the most recent Federal income tax form.

See full info here: http://admissions.fiu.edu/costs/General_Overview.php

New User

Sorry I haven't be able to respond faster guys I've been extremely busy with soccer. Thanks RK, Matt and Perri for the information again. And Perri i'll defiantly look into the information you posted and see my options. Thanks

Matt I went to UM and my tuition was cheaper because I lived in miami than some of my classmates whom came from other parts of the country. Maybe it's changed in the last few years but out of state students payed more at the time.

Wow, when was that? I've never heard of that at a private school, and it's def not the case now. Some may get lowered tuition because they are children of employees. Or some may get scholarships reserved for local students. But never a straight up lower tuition bill.

If you want to move down to Miami due to the party scene, at 18, there isn't much you can do since the age limit for drinks is 21. I've met plenty of people, from other cities that come to Miami for school and end up losing focus due to too much partying.

96-97. That's what I thought, too. It probably is the case but I remember them telling me a certain class costs more than I had paid for it and referred to the fact that it was the case because they were from another state. Maybe they were told by their parents it costs a much higher amount than I paid for it so that they wouldn't screw up!! lol Or maybe they bought the new books while I was being frugal and went with the used!! Anyway, it was a heck of a lot of money at the time, relatively speaking, but worth it.

All the schools I 've gone have been public, I had never heard either about lower tuition for out of state students. But 1997, was a while back and tuition at many colleges has easily doubled since then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12