Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Finding someone to live with in Miami Beach

For next January-May I'm looking into interning for the Miami PD or a large department near there and would like to rent an apartment in Miami Beach if possible.

How difficult would it be to find someone of my age (21) to live with for that span of time ?

Would living Miami Beach make it difficult to commute to one of the MPD stations ? If so, any suggestions?

Default Re: Finding someone to live with in Miami Beach

Hi Mitch, commuting all depends on whether you have a car or not. If you do, it shouldn't be too bad. If you are relying on public transport, then it will be a problem.

As for roommates, people tend to post on craigslist to find roommates, or put signs up in whole foods, etc.

Miami PD is in Downtown, if you're in South Beach, there's plenty of bus routes there. Miami Beach PD is in South Beach, if you live close by you can even walk. The Miami-Dade County PD is in Doral, nestled between suburban hell and no man's land, and you would need a car to get there.

New User

Thanks for the quick responses.

Is there a lot of scams on craigslist as far as renting goes ?

i've been looking into places on Zillow.com. there are good rental prices there but if i could, living with someone would be preferred.

Yes. There are a LOT of scams on craigslist here. I generally tell people to avoid it as much of them are fronts for realtors. At best. The apartment advertised is rarely the one actually available.

How do you intern for a police department? I know a few people who've been looking to get on in departments down here with little success. I don't know of any that are hiring.

Criaglist is known for bait and switch, meaning the apartment listed has "just been rented, but I have many more I can show you..."

New User

I'm currently a Criminal Justice Major and for our 2nd semester of senior year they have us go through an internship program instead of being in the classroom, so we get a real feel of what our potential future job is going to be like. I'm looking at ChicagoPD MiamiPD and another local department.

I feel like i'll never get another chance like this, and who knows maybe i'll want to stay down in Miami for a while.

I'll do my best to avoid craigslist and also;

does anyone know of any other websites where people are looking for roommates ?

What a great opportunity! You should def initely try something new. I know of a website called couchsurfing.com but I am not sure this would suit your needs.