Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Catt

Thread: New in the US-my first place to live - setting up electric, cable and Internet?

Question New in the US-my first place to live - setting up electric, cable and Internet?

Hi,
    I am going to move into my first place here in South Beach (rented it for 12 months). I am not sure how things work over here in the US so have a couple of questions. As i move in on monday i really have to connect with an Elctricity Supplier. The landlord said something about calling FPL. Is this a cheap supplier? Are there any others? How do i best set that up for monday? I hope its not too late...

Then i would also need Cable TV and Internet. (no phone). I know there are lots of offers from companies online but i dont understand the traps and dont really know what is cheap and what not. Can someone recommend a trustworthy and cheap company, maybe one that offers both? And how soon can they come and set that up so its ready? I want a high speed internet as im using Skype to call Europe. TV = with good film channels to watch if possible.

Thanks very much!

Default Re: New in the US-my first place to live - setting up electric, cable and Internet?

1) FPL = 'Florida Power and Light' is the main electric company here. (there may be others, but this is the main one most people use; and actually i've found them to be much lower in price compared to the city i came from, so to 'me'.... yes they are a cheap supplier)

it's very easy and quick to set up your electric service - you can call them or you can do it online. They probably won't need to even come to your place; you just set up your account and they flip a switch, and send you the bill, , and that's it. (also, they may ask you to put down a deposit.)

main FPL website: www.fpl.com
    to start service online: http://app.fpl.com/sowww2/SowwwHtmlC...WelcomeCommand

2) There are two main cable companies -- 'Comcast', and 'Atlantic Broadband'. Comcast is not available in 'all' beach areas (it's not in my part of the beach) - so you may have only Atlantic Broadband; depending on your specific address. (You can find out when you call.)

Both offer packages including Cable TV+Internet together, and both usually offer special deals for new customers. This will require someone coming to your place to set it up; they can usually get you a service appointment in a few days - so if you call today (Thursday) you probably could have it done by Monday.

This also can be done online, but I would suggest that you call them, since this is a bit more complicated than the electric service - there are a few different packages to choose from, it can be confusing, and sometimes it's easier to talk to a live person who can explain everything.

You can get their phone numbers from their websites; and also look around to see the different plans and prices they offer, to get an idea about them before you call.

www.Comcast.com
    www.http://atlanticbb.com

Welcome! and i hope you enjoy your time here!
    Last edited by Catt; 04-26-2012 at 03:22 AM.

Default Re: New in the US-my first place to live - setting up electric, cable and Internet?

Thanks FPL asked me to put down a deposit and i had some problems with them as i dont have a phone. Had an accident recently and the phone got damaged. They refused to accept my email address as a contact. I cant call them back anymore as Skype has just stopped working now. They want me to fax my ID today and then want to confirm via phone which is not possible. They set me up in the system and now we got disconnected. Have to pay 150 Deposit he said. Not sure if i get that back and how and where to pay into. Cant call them back. (cant buy a phone because waiting for new one from Germany)

avan, welcome back to the forums! So you decided to stay, congratulations!

Yes i am still here. Although its difficult and im not sure if i stay because if i do i cant see my family as they wont fly here. Its complicated with my visa, cant fly out my lawyer said. The problem is that my mother wont come here, scared of flying. Also my sister cant come here. My father died previously. So not sure, if im here im on my own and cant see them again.

Well, I am sure that situation won't last forever... visa's expire, or you may decide to just return.

As for internet, I use atlantic broadband for my 1000 channels and high speed internet. I also have a high speed router for work as I work online. I like this company and they are very good.

you pay the deposit with your first bill - or they may take it using a credit card via phone. (you can always use a phone somewhere if you don't have one yet; many hotels have them in the lobby, you can ask if you can use one for a few minutes). You'll get the deposit back when you cut off the service - or after two years, whichever comes first.

you might consider getting a cheap "pre paid" cell phone - i'm not sure what the reasoning is to wait for a phone from Germany, but if you will be here for a year it would probably be a lot less expensive and WAY more convenient, to have a local USA phone..... in many ways, it's pretty much a necessity to have one if you'll be living here - as you can see from the electric company; without a phone you will not be able to get your electric service. You can either let it be a hindrance, or adapt so everything will go more smoothly.

The pre-pay ones are very inexpensive, and it's 'pay as you go', so you never run up a bill.
    Last edited by Catt; 04-26-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    Michelle likes this.

Hi Avan,

Glad you could stay. Try Atlantic Broadband, Comcast or also AT&T. The pre-paid phones that Catt mentions are easy to get and extremely convenient. MetroPCS is a local company that doesn't have contracts and their monthly payment is pretty low. Check them out. FPL has a monopoly on the electric service down here, but their prices are generally good. Most of your electric bill will be going towards your Air conditioning.

Death to ABB...they are such overpriced PITA's. The best is when they try to school you in why they're the best, knowing they're the ONLY" Meanwhile, they're going on and on about no contracts - most of us don't care about a 2y contracts if we're getting a good price b/c we won't be changing anything! They try to say they're the best price and offer service no one else can (no, just stuck in MB with no other companies!) Their regular rate is over $200 for 2 hd/dvr boxes and decent internet w/ a few movie channels. Unless you want just the lowest, basic service with no extras you're going to be at $150-$220

Forget any type of decent repair service if the issue is beyond something simple. We've been dealing with internet issues for SIX weeks. 50 emails, 10 calls, 2 appointments that were useless.

Please someone say another company is planning to come to the beach!