Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Moving to Wilton Manors (Ft. Lauderdale), working in Coral Gables

Hey guys, I have to commute from Ft. Lauderdale to Coral gables (Ponce De leon blvd) until I find something reasonable in South Miami.
    1. What if any shortcuts can I take to make this commute less horrible
    2. Is there public transportation available
    3. Is coral gables reasonable to live?

Thank you so much!

Default Re: Moving to Wilton Mannors(Ft. Lauderdale), working in Coral Gables.

On a drive that long, I wouldn't say there ar any "shortcuts," per se. Just make sure you get a SunPass so you can take the HOT lanes south. 95 south to 836 West, get off at LeJeune. Once you hit the HOT lanes the traffic shouldn't be too bad. The rough part will be going 95 south From Lauderdale.

Public transportation is not an option from there. I mean, you COULD do it, but you're looking at probably 2 hours each way.

Coral Gables is great if you wanna live there. It's just not cheap. However if you go just north or East of CG there are some reasonable areas.

But yeah, get out of that Broward to Dade commute as soon as you can. That drive will ruin your life if you have to do it during rush hour.

Default Re: Moving to Wilton Mannors (Ft. Lauderdale), working in Coral Gables

Coral Gables is very expensive. The surrounding areas can be affordable though. If you are looking for apts/condos there are many buildings just across the street from the Gables that are very affordable. Look east of sw 37th ave. On the east side of sw 37ave you ave Miami and to the west you are in the Gables. A bit further east to sw 27th ave you have several more buildings, too. You can find houses also in that same area. The Grove is close too and has many options.
    I would recommend any of the surrounding areas to be close enough to the Gables while not paying "Gables" prices

Default Re: Moving to Wilton Mannors (Ft. Lauderdale), working in Coral Gables

Check South Miami and the Coral Way area, which are cheaper than Coral Gables. Try also the West Gables area. There isn't any short cut between Wilton Manors and Coral Gables (unless you take a chopper ride).

Default Re: Moving to Wilton Manors (Ft. Lauderdale), working in Coral Gables

South Miami is a great choice -- just look on the map for the Shops at Sunset Place and use that as your neighborhood marker. If you explore the area around there, you should find some good apartments. I would recommend doing it on foot, if possible, since there are so many scams on craigslist these days. Just look for for rent signs in buildings you like and call the phone numbers!

Default Re: Moving to Wilton Manors (Ft. Lauderdale), working in Coral Gables

There's some section of Little Havana and Shenandoah that nice, and have rents at affordable rates (for Miami, that is)