Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Neighborhood to choose (work on Lincoln Rd)

Hello,

I'll be relocating to Miami for work and am doing some research on neighborhoods and good places to live. My job is on Lincoln Rd and I'd really like to minimize my commute to no more than 30 minutes each way if that's possible. Could anyone recommend a good neighborhood to look at for the following criteria:

- Looking for a house (3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms) probably more than 1100sqft
    - Safe area that's more on the quiet side than lively
    - Backyard for my dog
    - < 30 minute rush hour commute to Lincoln Rd
    - Rent (<$1850/month) or buy (<$300k)

I'm in my upper 20's and don't speak Spanish so it'd be preferable to be somewhere I won't stick out like a sore thumb.

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Neighborhood to choose (work on Lincoln Rd)

Hi Ketrueno, there is a nice neighborhood of single family homes just to the north of South Beach, that is, between Dade Blvd and Arthur Godfrey Road. There are some for rent. I don't know if you would be able to find an entire house in that budget, but you should be able to find a duplex or triplex there. It's very convenient to South Beach and a really nice area.

New User

Thanks Doug! That sounds like a great plan. As a backup, since I'm not sure if my fiancee will be working in Miami, Fort Lauderdale or Miami Beach... Do you think Miami Shores is a decent commute to Lincoln Road and also a decent neighborhood (in my price range)?

Miami Shores can work, but I recommend that you come and drive through the area well before signing anything. Not many people work in South Beach, so you might be going against traffic. But a lot of people work in Downtown, so if you have to take I-95 south, you're going to be stuck in bad traffic.

$1850 is a pretty good budget, even though Miami beach is a bit expensive. Spanish helps, but if you only speak English, you'll be fine. The only places where Spanish is a requirement, is Little Havana and parts of Hialeah.

Hi ketrueno,

Besides Miami Shores, I recommend Little Haiti, between 42nd and 56th Streets, east of North Miami Ave. Not necessarily to buy, but to get acclimated, it's a great place to start. All the major highways and causeways are accessible from this area.

New User

Thanks again for the replies - this narrows things down a lot for me! Looking forward to getting down there soon to explore some neighborhoods.

The Shores is great if you don't speak English, and you can find decent stuff there in your range. The commute to the Beach won't be too bad, because you can take Biscayne Blvd. south to 195, which isn't terrible in the morning. Bad, but not as bad as if you tried to get to 95 and then back over. If your fiancee ends up working downtown, same thing. Lauderdale wouldn't be bad once she got to 95 (which takes a while in the AM) as she'd be going against traffic.

The Beach isn't doable for what you're looking for.

North Miami might not be bad either, but as Mario said look at everything as that area differs from block to block.

Don't go ANYWHERE west of I-95 as your commutes will be unbearable if you're doing normal business hours. If you hear the word "Kendall," run.

Agreed. In the beginning, when everything is new and you're getting adjusted to the commute and all, you won't notice how aggravating it can get, but very soon it will have you develop road rage or something in that direction. Then, you will start to hate going to work or work itself, because the drive alone has become hell on earth. Been there.

rk

You may find this map helpful. It shows Miami neighborhoods color-coded by quality. You can pan and zoom:

http://tinyurl.com/2btpcf2

(disclaimer: not my map)