Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default How much money would i need to live in Miami/Miami Beach for a semester ?

I have previously asked questions about interning for a police department down here but i was wondering how much money you think i will need to have to live in miami or miami beach for this coming spring semester??

The internship will be unpaid but i might be able to find a job for a little money while i'm down there.

any estimates ?

Default Re: How much money would i need to live in Miami/Miami Beach for a semester ?

I'd say you need about $3000 a month to live here without scraping by. Now, you will not be going to the big clubs, or the nice restaurants, or much of anywhere "cool" on that income. but you will be able to eat, pay your bills, get around town and, maybe, possibly, even go out once in a while.

You can definitely live on less, but it's that ramen-and-water lifestyle that really defeats the purpose of living somewhere this fun.

New User

Default Re: How much money would i need to live in Miami/Miami Beach for a semester ?

How do you figure 3000 ?

I understand rent will be hopefully around $1000
    but where does the other $2000 come from (an honest question)
    i realize food won't be too cheap either though

I'd say Matt's estimate is on point, anywhere from $10-12K for a semester. If you find a one bedroom on the Beach for $1000, that is great deal, but I'd even that out to an even 1200-1400 with utilities and such. Now we are at $1400/month (maybe overestimating, but that's a good thing.) How much can you live off a week to eat? $100 bucks a week? (that is very low.)So now we are at 1800/month. You now have 1200 for bills and fun, per month. Having a car is really paramount to living in Miami. I don't know your financial situation, but most people have car payments, credit cards, at the very least, the increasing price of gas. So at the very, very least, maybe you can squeeze by with $2500 a month. But then you wouldn't be the type to like to go out and have fun, and if thats the case, there are much more reputable police departments in the country without a nightlife. And again, I am not trying to discourage you, but just be prepared. Best of luck!

Yeah, the other $2000 comes from food, entertainment, incidentals and the like. A night out here is $50 on average. Often more. Occasionally less. If you don't cook, assume average of $10 per meal. If you buy groceries that's still $100-$150 per week. Plus gas. I don't have car payments, I don't pay insurance, and have no credit cards to pay off. I don't go to fancy clubs and rarely eat at restaurants. And 3K a month is about what it takes. You'd be surprised how things add up.