Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: Who here has a Corporate Job?

Default Who here has a Corporate Job?

Hi all,
    Hope the title of the post isn't too personal, but just wondering who, if any, works for a multinational corporation in Miami (Fortune 100-500)? I went to school in Miami, and am dying to move back (I can only equate this to some sort of Stockholm Syndrome, where I actually accustomated to poorly spoken Spanish AND English, inefficiency, and hot ass weather.) Not to sound too obnoxious, but I am well educated, have work experience, and speak 3 languages. Just seems the Miami market is so dismal right now, unless I personally know someone in a corporate setting, I may as well turn religious and start praying for a call back on a resume. Any advise would be extremely welcome (I am well aware of the corporate landscape in Miami, but always like to hear others' inputs.) Thanks all!

Default Re: Who here has a Corporate Job?

Well, I certainly don't but it made me think of all my friends here... and nope, no one I know does.

We have a huge financial district in Brickell so it must exist.

But people I know here work in the service industry, hospitality, PR, modeling or medical fields.

Let's see, Fortune 500 businesses in Miami... There's Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Burger King, AT&T has a huge office, most large corporate banks, Ryder systems, Southcom is here. Those are a few that come to mind. Hook ups at these companies? nope.

I know maybe one or two people who do. This is again why I say Miami is still the most overrated Metropolis in America. Like, yes, we are getting a lot of the aesthetics that make an American city legit, but there's no corporate backbone. Everyone works n these sort of fringe industries that are very hit or miss. Or, more accurately, feast or famine.

You may be able to find a job here, but it will depend on who you know. Sometimes if you wanna live here you just gotta be broke and hustle until something good comes up.
    Blackford Oakes likes this.

Thanks to all for responding. I guess I didn't really have a point to my post, more of just a frustration. Miami does have a somewhat legit corporate presence, but the size of these offices are quite small. It's tricky because most corporations in Miami are the satellite offices for their Latin America operations. And honestly, be it finance or government relations, most majors will be located out of NY or DC. Either way, I am dying to return to Miami, so the struggle continues! Thanks all.

Yep, you're right, "most corporations in Miami are the satellite offices for their Latin America operations", but we're missing quite a few good ones, like Apple, Microsoft, Wal-Mart, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Yep, you're right, "most corporations in Miami are the satellite offices for their Latin America operations", but we're missing quite a few good ones, like Apple, Microsoft, Wal-Mart, etc.
    Microsoft's LatAm office is located in Ft. Lauderdale. Apple has offices in Miami too, although a much smaller staff than their Microsoft competitors. As for Wal-Mart, my only experience is the Doral 24/7 retail location, and I was scared/infatuated with the experience, but definitely not a corporate setting.

But yes Mario, you are right, everything is much smaller and more compact here, making it much harder to break in to these offices. I almost feel it's easier to go work for these companies in another city, and get transfered back to Miami, rather than do it the indigenous way.

There's a new Wal Mart on Bird Road i think, out west of the Palemetto. Not that that's a good thing. Wal Marts in Miami are like bad service squared.

That all said, I'd be curious to see that stats on the percentage of people in miami who work regular work schedules versus the rest of the country. Or the percentage who work for large companies in a corporate environment.