Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New in Miami - Anyone want to hangout and show me around?

M3@
    New User

Default New in Miami - Anyone want to hangout and show me around?

Hey. I just moved to South Miami Beach. Im 29 from Mexico but lived in Australia for a while.
    Love this place, found a great apartment and now i need to know some ppl here!

Any tips? Is first time im in miami so i dont know anything, have being walking around washington, lincoln rd, ocean dr, i love it but still dont know anyone here or whats the best places to hang out.

I found this forum and maybe someone can share some dont miss spots or wants to hang out and show me around.

Thanks!

Amy

Default Re: New in Miami - Anyone want to hangout and show me around?

Hi Amy, welcome to Miami Beach, and our forums!

What do you do here? I met people through my job when I first moved to Miami.

Fun places to hang out and meet other locals are Montys at happy hour, Teds local dive bar, the beach South of 5th and starbucks on Lincoln Road.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi Amy,

Welcome to Miami Beach 411. Thanks for introducing yourself and posting your question here.

Tomorrow night, my wife and I are going to see Jane's Addiction perform at the Fillmore in Miami Beach. Tickets for the show are still available. You're welcome to come and hang out with us. Jane's Addiction is one of my favorite bands.

If anyone else wants to come the show, the more the merrier. We can make it an unofficial meetup.

Jane's Addiction? No way, that's awesome, Gus. I thought the lead singer died. Is that who I'm thinking of or was it another band from that era (not Nirvana, we all know he died).

Gus

Matt, you might be thinking of Jerry Cantrell, who was the singer of Alice in Chains.

Perry Farrell, the singer for Jane's Addiction is alive and well, and will be taking the stage tomorrow night around 9pm. If you're free, come hangout with us.

You too, Jess.

Hi Amy,

There's plenty of ways of meeting people in South Beach. Work will be the easiest way. You can walk your dog at Flamingo Park, you can meet people at the gyms (in SoBe there are plenty to choose from). You can also join www.meetup.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Matt, you might be thinking of Jerry Cantrell, who was the singer of Alice in Chains.

Perry Ferrell, the singer for Jane's Addiction is alive and well, and will be taking the stage tomorrow night around 9pm. If you're free, come hangout with us.

You too, Jess.
    Gus, Jerry is alive and kicking, he's the guitarist. Layne Staley, the singer was the one who died, back in 2002. Now Alice in Chains, has a new singer, William DuVall.

I saw Jane's, back in 2003, when Lollapalooza was re-launched.

M3@
    New User

Hi!! Thanks a lot for your help

I will check some of those places out Jess. I know job is one of the best ways to meet people however my work right now only involves a lot of planning online and is all with people that works in Mexico. Im actually hopping to have the opportunity of a job here so any advice on that would be great too.

I used to do a lot of event planning in Mexico and Australia, from sports to concerts. Before that was hostess in a restaurant/bar so i will love anything related to that, in case anyone knows of a way to start

Thanks a lot for the invitation Gus! Ill be looking right now how much are the tickets and hopefully confirm with you. Is a good plan to start meeting people so thank you! Anyone else coming? Cmon Matt!

I will try to look for a gym Mario, any recommendation? since i dont have a dog here or an actual job lol im trying to walk around a lot, hopefully i meet some ppl that way, i will check the other page out and if anyone else has other advise or plans you want to invite me to i will more than happy to hang out.

Btw this forum is awesome!
    Mario likes this.

Gus

Mario, thanks for correcting my mistake. You're welcome to join us, too!

I love Alice in Chains. Did you happen to see the "Celebrity Rehab" TV show on VH1, with Mike Star, the bass player for Alice in Chains? He was not doing very well, at the time of the show. I hope he's better now.

Amy, I hope you like alternative rock. If your musical taste leans in a different direction, I will be happy to make some suggestions other suggestions.

M3@
    New User

Thanks Gus. Im more into the electronic scene, anything house, progressive or trance and ill be there.
    I dont mind rock specially if its a concert, i know little about Alice in Chains or Janes Addiction but could be fun.
    Did you got general admission for $58.50?

Gus

Your welcome. We purchased $45 general admission tickets (with advanced entry). And just to be clear, It's Jane's Addiction and The Duke Spirit. Alice in Chains is not performing.

I also like electronic music. Propeller Heads and Massive Attack are my two favorites.

You should definitely check out Club Space in downtown Miami.

I'd be happy to try and plan a meetup at Space in June.

Yes Amy, the forums are awesome!!

@ Gus, I saw some episodes. Actually, unfortunately Mike Star didn't beat his addiction and died recently. In 1993, he was replaced as bass for AIC, by Mike Inez.

Thanks for the invite Gus! Not sure yet of my plans, I'll let you guys know.

Gus

How sad about Mike Star and Layne Staley.

On a lighter note, I just learned that Perry Farrell from Jane's Addiction is a graduate of North Miami Beach High School:

But Friday’s performance also returns Farrell to the thorny knot of memories of his teen years in South Florida. His mother committed suicide when Farrell was 3, and his father, now deceased, was a cold presence wracked by guilt who “for the most part ignored me,” Farrell says. “That’s why I ran away. I was not wanted.”

Shortly after high school, Farrell says, he “stole some money, stole some weed, grabbed my surfboard and art supplies” and jumped on a Greyhound bus for Los Angeles. His subsequent life on the streets provides the inspiration for the luminous “Twisted Tales” and its grim video released last month.

But there were good times, too, for Farrell in South Florida — he surfed a lot and chased girls as a pool boy at the old Waikiki Resort Motel in Sunny Isles — and he seems determined to exorcise some demons this week by bringing his sons to town for a tour of the old man’s old hangouts.

“As a consequence [of his teen experience] I gotta give them my time. Time equals love and love equals time. I want them to know that I am interested in them and that I want to take them places,” Farrell says.

“I’m flying them in to take them to see where I used to live, where I used to surf,” Farrell says, citing Haulover Pier, Harbor House and the break at 21st Street as probable stops. “I learned to surf in Miami, and to this day I still have surfer friends from there.”
    Jane's Addiction's Perry Farrell talks sex (or not)

M3@
    New User

Thanks for the advice, i will definitely find out about Club Space!
    so how often do you organize meetups?

seems only tickets available are 58.50dls, i think im gonna wait for next one, im sorry. but let me know if ur doing anything before or after or anyother day to catch a beer or something.

thanks and let me know of any other ideas

Gus

No problem. We don't organize meetups very often, but we'll make sure to invite you to the next one.

This is going to be a great show. Perry just replied to me on Twitter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post

Perry Farrell, the singer for Jane's Addiction is alive and well, and will be taking the stage tomorrow night around 9pm. If you're free, come hangout with us.

You too, Jess.
    I have work till late today, what time does the show end?

Gus

Jess, I'm guessing the show will end at 11pm. We'll give you a call after the show let's out. Perhaps we can meet on Lincoln Road.

After the show, everyone else is welcome to come hang out for a drink.

Gus

Amy, if you're looking to hear some free electronic music tonight, the Opium Group just tweeted this special offer:

Text the word 'SUPER' to 38714 for Comp Entry and a Drink on us 2nite as #SuperFridays brings you the @EXXXOTICA After Party
    If you haven't been to Opium yet, you should check it out. Behind Space, it's my second favorite club in Miami. I'm sure the after party for Exxxotica will be pretty crazy. To give you an idea of what to expect, you can see some pictures of the Exxxotica convention here.

M3@
    New User

Thanks Gus! Ill check that out.
    Hope u have a great time tonight and ill meet u guys soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast