Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Relocating to Miami from Missouri

Hi! I am planning to relocate to Miami hopefully by the end of the year. I will actually be in Miami in June for a visit, but I plan to make my move this year! I would greatly appreciate any advice on relocating to Miami. Also how is the job market there? I am in the Social Work field and I hold a masters degree. I work with the elderly right now.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Relocating to Miami from Missouri

The job market here is terrible. I mean downright abysmal. I think only like Detroit and St. Louis are ahead of us right now in terms of unemployment, at an official 14.7% or something at last check. Though I'd say unofficially closer to 22-25%.

The main advice I can give you in terms or relocation is don't come here unless you have a job lined up. Either that or come with about $8000 in the bank, and don't plan on partying much until you have a job. Even then, we've had countless people write in here about their relocation experience, looking for work for half a year and going home. It is not easy int he slightest. This is a town where you get jobs via who you know, not really via sending out resumes. If you have strong contact here, you should start applying them now.

Past that, live near where you work. Or at least if you work west live east. The commutes here can be brutal and people who think they;'re living the dream when they find an apartment on 85th Street in the Beach quickly hate their lives when they find themselves commuting to southern Coral Gables every day.

Once you have a job lined up and give us some more information about yourself (age, married/single, kids, etc.) we can give you a better idea of where to live. But right now, the job market is really bad, so don't hold your breath on finding work.

Thank you so much for your response. I'm actually in St. Louis, so I completely understand the job market. Realistically I will have to have a job lined up before I move. Right now it's just me, no kids, but tons of experience working in the healthcare field and social work field. I am keeping my options open, so I will be looking into other cities such as Ft. Lauderdale and Naples. I'm pretty flexible, but it's good to know what obstacles I may have.

HI jmallory, my wife is a LCSW. You can PM me and I'll set it up to see what she can do to help you.

in Miami, that is.

Well I guess health care is one field they say there's work here. That said, I know Jackson just laid off a ton of people so who knows.

Thank you! I will definitely message you!