Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Why they call it Gator Nation (Pictures)

Default Why they call it Gator Nation (Pictures)

Not to long ago, I remember Gus relating a story how he got spooked on a kayak, with what was believed to be a gator.

During a late morning walk , I noticed some unrest in a boggy area. When things settled down..this is what I saw..

Name:  gator otter.jpg
Views: 1637
Size:  297.7 KB

AWESOME !!!

You might have to amplify the pic to appreciate it. The gator is resting after he sapped the life out of an otter.

Just days ago, I stopped in front of one before I ran it over. That sucker was in the middle of the road and wouldn't budge till I edged my front bumper nearly over him.

Name:  night gator.jpg
Views: 1893
Size:  16.0 KB

Now bear in mind, I live in a community that keenly developed over former hunting grounds. I see wildlife everyday. It's compensation for living 42 years of city life. It has to beg the question: With the proximity Miami has to the Everglades; have any of you had any free roaming gator encounters in Miami ?
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 06-02-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    rk and moltobene like this.

Default Re: Gator Nation

Oh ya ! This guy has >>>>

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Default Re: Gator Nation

Awesome gator pics! In Florida, it's amazing how close we can get to these wild animals. I'm surprised we don't hear more stories about people getting bit.

Here is a picture from the time Michelle and I almost had our kayak capsized by an angry crocodile at the Deering Estate. It looks like I lost my legs, but it's just the way I am sitting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Default Re: Why they call it Gator Nation (Pictures)

No gators yet, but twice a 3+ ft snake (Racers) in/on the bushes near our front door. Cristina loves snakes.

Hoppie

I was surprised the first time I went on the Everglades tour and realized I was standing about 4 feet away from a huge gator. He was more interested in getting his beauty rest, though.

The Shark Valley bike trial is chock full of gators walking around and sunning themselves on the main road. Usually, it's the smaller gators that you see on the road, the bigger ones stay in the adjacent canal.
    dylan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    The Shark Valley bike trial is chock full of gators walking around and sunning themselves on the main road. Usually, it's the smaller gators that you see on the road, the bigger ones stay in the adjacent canal.

That was a cool bike ride. The ride alone to walk up the observation post was the obvious highlight.,,, the largest stew of gators I've ever seen, just below you.

My first morning in CFL was as a guest at my sisters. Was amused that morning that local cable was showing a replay of a UF game that took place in 1987. That was my introduction to the footballl fanaticism known as " gator nation."

On that same morning, there was a 6ft gator laying near my sister's front door. At that time, I asked myself: " what sh!t am I getting myself into considering this moving to FL ?'

I still rather see a live gator than one of these.....
    Name:  gator tag.png
Views: 620
Size:  7.3 KB

Hahaha. Was it the ridiculous football fanatcism or the actual reptiles that made you reconsider?

Florida is a weird place. I was talking to this girl this morning who told me she's afraid of Florida. Alligators, hurricaners, swmaps, and, oh yeah, face eating Zombies.

Never had any reconsiderations, but I came close the day I visited my first department store in FL.
    A good portion of a sales floor was dedicated to UF/UCF & FSU wear. If the place sold UM stuff, that might have been a tipping point.

As you know, back home, it was the college book store or bust.

Bro.. I'm SC. That in-state FB sh!t rolls down my back, and I scurry the rest with a chuckle.

Ha yes the zombies did not help Florida's reputation.

I saw my first wild gator this weekend, along alligator alley. That was pretty cool.

You'll need a permit soon....

Name:  zombiehuntingpermit.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  80.0 KB
    dylan likes this.

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Jess,

Next time take the Tamiami Trail if you go West. Thousands, all right next to the road. My wife always wants to stop to take a picture. I don't dare. Too many Floridians on the road with 80 mph and texting.

Hoppie

You can see a ton of them at the Big Cypress visitors Center on 41 too. Although I feel like those ones might be planted.

Any MB411 tourist on this one ....

An airboat ride with six tourists turned tragic Tuesday when an alligator bit the hand of the captain in Everglades City.
    Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/1...#storylink=cpy

As I post and surf along the web and listen to Zep, I was enternained by four vultures duking it out. I"m posting from my woody garage in CFL. You might see the king daddy vulture on this shot. the others have already scampered.

An old man on his perpetual bike ride told me this morning to be on the lookout for pumas. A cub and mother have been spotted nearby.
    As a mid-age man, who's aready lived a his youthfull wildlife without complaints, I've been tamed to enjoy the aspects of life that matter matter more.
    That is not to say I'm not to LIV tomorrow night.

Name:  V.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  87.8 KB

I've never seen any in Miami-Dade. When I was a kid visiting my granddad in Naples, one came into a year next door.

When we first moved to FL, we stayed in my folks house in Naples (previously the aforementioned granddad's house) for a few weeks. First thing we did was hit 41 to an Everglades boardwalk that I remembered from many, many years before. As we walked to the boardwalk, right at the gateway on the grass next to the trail was a 12-foot gator. He was huge. We made our way around him, but the furthest we could get from him was maybe 10 feet, due to a fence on the other side. We were easily within lunging distance.

A year or so later, my folks and us went biking in Shark Valley. We counted over 200 gators that day. We stopped at the observation tower and parked the bikes to check it out. As we walked back to the bikes, one gator had situated itself right across the sidewalk. Jokingly, I suggested to Annette that she just walk over its tail. WHICH SHE DID!!! As she was stepping over the tail, the gator got up and walked away. It wasn't until after it had left that we realized how insane that had been.

Does anyone know what causes Gators to attack? Like I've heard they don't instinctively attack humans. then you hear about joggers getting chased down. Do they have to be provoked or are we just natural prey?

Rk?

Maybe those joggers unknowingly stumbled over the gator's nest? That is one way to provoke an alligator to attack. But generally, they're rather timid towards humans. I've read that it is illegal to feed wild alligators in FL because they will learn to associate humans with food, and that would be no good for the human obviously. I wonder if that's true.

Somebody told me today, alligators are aggresive this time of year, but couldn't provide a reason. I know it's not mating season.

In general, we know most reptiles don't care for their young. If gators are an excepion, that might me a reason they get provoked.

As far as chasing down joggers, they average 11 mph.

And yes, it's illegal to feed gators, and I understand it's a hefty fine. We get reminded every other month in the comminity bulletin. Suprisingly, it's also illegal to feed Sand Hill Cranes.

Got a cardinal feeder hanging from the side of the house. I spray the back lawn with those seeds anyway to get the cranes to hang around and wild turkeys too.

Gators are no longer the real concern out in the Everglades.

I have encountered small Wild Cats in Central Florida at my old Archery range, and Hogs too. But in South Fla I have encountered in the wild, Gators, Crocs, Tegus, Monitors, Red Tail Boas, Ball Pythons, Retic Pythons, Rock Pythons, Water Moccasins, King snakes, Coral snakes, Houndaran Milk Snakes, Ring neck Snakes, Iguanas, Geckos (Crested, Leopard, African Fat Tail), TONS of Frogs (native, and imports), and Burmese Pythons.

I used to go out in the Everglades with friends of mine "Herpers" fellow reptile people as I call them and we used to catch, release, and relocate all the above animals. If you have shoulder length cut proof gloves, good boots, and Waders, you should be fine but let me tell you to an inexperienced person the Everglades, and the Red Lands could be kinda sketchy. I am not even gonna mention the spiders, and scorpions I've seen loose ALL over Miami.

The biggest issues now is the fact that the smaller very aggressive Rock Python is cross breeding with the huge, and powerful Retic Pythons, this is soon going to create a super predator in the Everglades, and neither of these snake breeds are native to Florida. This will drastically affect the Eco system, and may ultimately come to affect residential areas out west, and far south.
    rk likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast