Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default MB: Recycle or else .....The trash police are coming !

Default Re: MB: Recycle or else .....The trash police are coming !

It's great that Miami is finally recycling. The only issue I see is having to keep the recyclables in your kitchen..that could attract bugs!

You would figure the city is going to provide special bins for this.
    My building has a recycle chute and it's one of the original buildings on Brickell Key. I guess that is pretty much standard these days.

What I'm not cool. about is having the city monitor your trash.

of course the city provides bins - at least that's the standard in all the other cities i've lived in over the past 15 years. Recyclables are put out on the curb, just like regular trash, and get picked up on the specified day of the week; i would guess this will be similar.

for now i've been taking my recyclables over to the bin myself, at 75th & Carlyle Ave., that's a pain, so imho it's 'bout time Miami got with the program!

and christy, to avoid that problem i just rinse the cans & bottles before putting them in the bin; no smell or bugs in the kitchen.

All I can say is that by simply recycling your own trash you contribute a great deal, but I find the solution of having Green Police go through your garbage rather absurd. There must be a better way.

I'm not sure how much awareness there is on the beach regarding the topic of separating your trash into glass, paper, plastic, cardboard, but I imagine there still being a lot of ignorance, and definitely many people who just don't care.

That's what I found so attractive about Whole Foods when I started to do my groceries there: They don't use plastic bags but recycled paper bags to bag up your things. And they demonstrate a good example of what it means to recycle by offering separate trash options. But what percentage of residents on the beach is willing, or capable, of paying those prices?

There were some interesting perspectives/ comments to the article, for example this one:

"Let the producers of non-biodegradable products be liable for the negative outcomes of the products they create and profit from, instead of solely criminalizing end-users.

When companies stop profiting from non-biodegradable products, they will stop pumping them into our world.

Criminalizing citizens rather than producers only enables further production of environmentally unsound products, and depends on citizens to clean up messes the producers make profits on."

This blog here reads a little paranoid to me. Any article that uses the phrase "Mandatory recycling ordinances represent another example of how big government is exploiting the environmental movement to increase regulation and big brother snooping on Americans’ private lives." gives away its bias right away.

You really think MB is going to take the time to go through people's garbage? We have like a million other problems here. My guess is the fine will go to apartment complexes and hotels that don't have recycling bins and whatnot for residents (which most don't now). Seriously, whether you're one who's super paranoid about big government or not, reasonably nobody has time to be doing this stuff. And it's pretty gross too.

Then again, it may create jobs.

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

I still have trouble coming to terms with so many people simply wanting no organization in society, especially not from government. And at the same time these same people tend to favour to have the world ruled by companies for profit. Hm.

At the risk of hi-jacking a thread -- did the US Constitution ever consider that a man-made organizational structure, the for-profit Corporation, would become so almighty powerful that it threatens the freedom of individual people more than any constitutionally-bound government?

Hoppie

I have no trash privacy now. Scavengers tear open my plastic trash bags and root thru my stuff for recyclables every day. I find my personal papers blowing across the parking lot on occasion. You really have to lock the trash away these days!

I don't understand how the government can successfully enforce mandatory recycling, if you don't live in a single family residence. I once read that it is all sorted out anyway once it gets to the dump, and whatever's able to be recycled is sent to the appropriate area.