Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rk
  • 1 Post By Gus

Thread: Relocating to South Florida for work and study at FIU North campus

New User

Lightbulb Relocating to South Florida for work and study at FIU North campus

Hi everyone,
    First, I want to say that I am really impressed by this forum. It’s really nice to see how committed the community is on helping others. And I love the articles, they are really informative!!

My husband and I will relocate to South Florida in the fall this year. I will be working and studying at FIU North campus. Since we are outside the US, we still have no idea where my husband will work. He's looking for a job as a TV-producer or something in the media sector (any advice on getting a job would be great too) and it think it will be very hard to find a company that will hire him before he gets there.

We are both on our mid 30s but like going out to bars and also to party about 2 to 3 times a month– but it doesn’t have to be the craziness of SoBe. Even though I am Latin, I don’t really dig salsa or reggaeton (may be once in a while) - I don't want offend anyone, though. We both like bars that don’t seem perfectly polished or "chic". We are more into the alternative electronic music scene (dub step, drum ‘n base), or bars with live music. It would be nice to live in an area where we could go out for a drink or dance w/o having to drive 30-40 minutes. We also enjoy going to the movies, however, we like alternative foreign films – so any suggestions where to find that in Miami would be great (it doesn’t have to be around the corner, though).

The thing is, we are on a tight budget. We don’t know how long it is going to take for my husband to get a job and we don’t want to spend all our savings in buying two cars, in paying two insurances, etc (we are not big fans of getting credits either). So, we assume it will take him at least 3-4 months to get a job. Therefore, we are hoping that one car would be Ok. Do you guys think that’s insane in Miami? . For the same reasons, we will be looking for a place with 1 bdr (max 2) at about $1200-1600 a month, at least for the start. I guess that is indeed insane .

Well, a friend of mine suggested that we look for a place at Doral (assuming my husband would eventually get a job at the TV studios) and I could take the shuttle bus between North and main campus (1:15 hr ride). And that my husband could pick me up from the main campus in the evening. What do you think about that?

I’ve stayed at my friends place in Brickell a couple of times. I kind of like it there, although it seems a bit “snobbish” and it’s too expensive for us anyway. But I especially like that it is a safe area and that Publix and other stores are just around the corner and of course, you can go have a drink or dine within a couple of minutes’ walk. I liked Coral Gables too, but I’m thinking the commute would be really bad and the rent too expensive anyhow.

On the other, hand I was told that the area between NE 98th and 110th St like Miami Shores is safe. But my impression is that we would need the car even to do the groceries. What do think?

Hollywood and Sunny Islands seem nice but too quiet, in terms of bars and night life and the commute is long into the city.

Little Havanna seems to be affordable. But we live in a very safe city now - last time something happened to me was a teenage pick pocket trying to get my wallet about 15 years ago - so, even though I don't get scared quickly, I'm not sure I want to deal with people breaking into the car o the property.

Now I’m thinking about North Beach, but I read the crime rates are raising. Do you think it would be a good idea that, let’s say, my husband brings me from North Beach to FIU and drives to work in Doral? Hmm...that would probably drive him crazy…

It's a shame Miami's public transportation system is so limited. In the city we live in now, the tram stop is 3 minutes away, the tram comes every 5 minutes and we can get to nearly any place we want in the city. We haven't had to use our car in over 2 months. But hey, there are no palm trees on our backyard. You just can't have everything at once .

But it's still a pretty tough nut to crack.

I am looking forward to reading your suggestions and ideas.

Thanks in advance!
    K
    Last edited by Keksdose; 06-14-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Default Re: Relocating to South Florida for work and study at FIU North campus

Hi and welcome to the 411 forums.

I can see your dilemma as there is a lot of choice and it is hard to know where to start.

The North FIU campus is near Aventura, have you considered that area?

Wherever you live in Miami, you will need a car to do the grocery shopping etc, that is true even in Miami Beach unless you want to walk carrying all your shopping bags.

As your husband doesn't have a job yet, I would think about a 6 month lease also, which will allow you both to move nearer his job when he gets one.

Doral is very remote and boring and I would not recommend it for you guys at all. There is nothing to do there!

rk

Take a look at this map (not mine) to get an idea of different neighborhoods:

http://tinyurl.com/2btpcf2

I would try to live near a bus line, that way you can delay getting a second car for a while.
    Gus likes this.

New User

@Jess: Thanks! Good to know that about Doral. Yes, I'm also considering a temporary lease too. I'm also thinking about a furnished apartment/studio for the first couple of weeks, but not a vacation rental because they are expensive.

I hadn’t considered Aventura because I heard the area is more for seniors, but may be I heard wrong.

@rk: Thanks for the map. I'm considering your idea too. Last time I visited Miami, I actually took the bus back and forth a couple of times from Bayside Marketplace all the way up to the FIU North campus, just to see how it worked out. It was a 50 min. drive on the Biscayne Blv. until NE 151 St plus transfer to another bus to get into the campus. It was ok. So, I figured I could go to work there in the morning but I'm concerned about waiting for the transfer at the crossing Biscayne Blv NE 151 at 10-11 pm after class. I think that's why my friend suggested I should take the university shuttle all the way down to University Park where my husband or she can pick me up from there. Therefore she thought Doral would be a good choice. In case my husband can't pick me up, it would be a 20 min drive from Brickell for her.

On the other hand, she's not much into going out, so she didn't think I would find Doral boring. She thinks the Mary Brickell Village is too loud and doesn't like it that it gets really crowded on the weekends. I don't mind. I don't need to live in a quiet suburb.

But then again, I will have to compromise anyway...

New User

I think I got it, let's see what you guys think of it:

Considering the facts:
    1. I will move down to South Florida mid August
    2. My husband will arrive late September
    3. 3-4 months until he gets a job
    4. 1 car only

So, I would get a studio/small apartment (preferably furnished) on a 4-6 months lease in Miami Beach. That would be until December/January. That way we would get the chance to get to know the area and enjoy what is has to offer. Then, depending on my husband's job we can better decide where to live and if we can afford a second car.

What do you think of these offers here?

sublet.com/spider/supplydetails.asp?supplyid=2091493

sublet.com/spider/supplydetails.asp?supplyid=1740811

sublet.com/spider/supplydetails.asp?supplyid=1986096

sublet.com/spider/supplydetails.asp?supplyid=2103384

sublet.com/spider/supplydetails.asp?supplyid=1764559

sublet.com/spider/supplydetails.asp?supplyid=2101450

Would you do it that way too?

Cheers
    K

Doral is a bit far away from Aventura. One car can work, but you have to be cooperative with each other. In many parts of the city, a car is a requirement for almost anything. There are several bus routes that go on Biscayne Blvd, between Downtown, Aventura and the Beaches.

That shuttle would be miserable. So would Doral.

Your price range, for a 1 BR, is fine. You can find stuff all over Miami for that. I'd recommend Midtown right now, as it is super walkable, and close to the artsy-cultural area of Wynwood. Your commute to FIU wouldn't be bad at all, maybe 15-20 minutes up Biscayne Blvd. And you can jump on the 112 and be in Doral pretty quickly from there too. Assuming you're going against traffic. If he had to go to work after p.m. it might be miserable.

Not quite sure how you're going to do that with one car though. You can easily take a bus from Midtown to FIU North, it's literally one bus and not a terrible long ride. That would probably be your best long term solution.

The 6 month lease is a good idea for now, though, as the Beach offers more short-term stuff than any other part of the City, and you can live somewhere fairly cheap.

Little Havana is relatively safe, but a lot of petty theft. Break-ins and the like. Violent crime not so much a problem.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi Keksdose, welcome to Miami Beach 411. Thanks for letting us know that you like our site. =)

Have you considered going a little North to Hollywood, FL? I hear that apartment rentals up there are cheap, and it's still affordable to live on the beach. The area is also centrally located to the major TV stations in Miami and Fort Lauderdale. A forum member named, Dylan, manages an apartment building in Hollywood that allows short term rentals; it might be a good place to land for a few months, while you get more acquainted with the area. Here is a link the website (http://www.kpoceansidehotel.com). Dylan is also an employee at Miami Beach 411. I'll ask him to post here and let us know how long he thinks it would take to get from his building to FIU.

I see you're coming from Cologne, Germany. Hollywood is also known to have quite a few German visitors and transplants.
    dylan likes this.

Hello Keksdose, I am currently managing a short term rental property that offers sevral size units with rates included, and parking for 1 car. The units range in size greatly, and the price ranges as well. Some of the smaller units are a steal, while the larger ones are aa bargain to say the least. We are located in Hollywood, about a 12 minute drive to Aventura Mall. Also not far from FIU North. There is public transportation in the area, and between bus, and 1 car you should be fine getting anywhere really. You can google our address, 318 Fillmore st Hollywood FL 33019 you can see how close we are to FIU, and ridiculosly close you are to the beach. It is about a 47 second walk from my door to the sand. And as Gus mentioned there is a high German, and Greek population here in Hollywood. You should check out our site (www.kpoceansidehotel.com) we offer short term rentals as well as long term.

New User

Hello everyone,
    thank you for all your suggestions! Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, I've been very busy preparing everything to depart. In two weeks I'll be there.

I think Hollywood would be a great place to start with, or even stay longer .

@Dylan, I am very interested in staying at the hotel you manage. I think my husband wrote an e-mail to Yolanda but I he hasn't heard from her yet.

I'll send you a PM for further details.

Best to you all!

Good luck to you for choosing Hollywood, it is be of my favorite areas in South Florida.