5. water you can actually SWIM in;
    6. more compact urban area;
    7. you get (a little) more bang for your buck;
    8. more interesting architecture
    9. less pollution
    10. no earthquakes
    rk and Christy like this.

Default Re: Looking to relocate from Los Angeles to Miami

LOL, Doug! Orlando has the personality of an olive garden in an airport terminal. Well, that's very an accurate description. But actually, LA does have very good architecture.
    Doug likes this.

Hi House Music, Midtown, Brickell and South Beach are your best bets. Also, checkout Coconut Grove. One important fact: the noisy, rowdy people in South Beach are generally the tourists ( those darn tourists!). The people that actually live in SoBe are far more laid back, eclectic, and don't spend 24/7 in clubs (they'd be bankrupt if they did). If you head to West part of the island, the vibe is very different.

There's a Whole Foods in South Beach, you won't have to give that up. My suggestion is try out Miami for a year or two. It worries me that you don't like the people in Miami though. I thought you were into Latin culture and everything. If you're not then cross Brickell off your list and focus on South Beach, because I think it has more Americans.

If you move to the NY area I think the people would be more similar to LA. And you wouldn't have to do Manhattan, you could live in Hoboken, NJ or a nice area of Brooklyn like Park Slope or Cobble Hill. But if you want amazing weather and the beach, then pick Miami.
    housemusic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    There are several advantages Miami has over LA, lest we forget:

1. ease of access to New York, Caribbean/South America, Europe;
    True: My two annual trips to Costa Rica are shortened by 6 hrs each way. The relative proximity to NY is the primary reason I'm going to a college football game this Sep. and only spending one night in the city.

2. vibrant culture of self-starters;
    A tepid True.California has so many disincentives to start a business, many that have businesses are leaving for better havens.

3. more passion per capita in every day existence;
    False as I have to deeply discount that per capita variable. That really doen't mean anything.
    Best indicator of this is the lack of art being produced in Miami compared to LA. Those that do have that passion are leaving Miami. http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/culti...artists_mo.php
    I'll have to admit, hearing Cuban argue does not lack any passion. Probably the best you'll get in town.

4. stunning colors of water, sky and foliage;
    A qualifying True...but man can't live on water hues alone. It's either beach, beach or more beach. The water view actually looks better from a mountain with an over the water sunset. In LA, you can also admire the coastline.

5. water you can actually SWIM in;

True: I however never had a problem with the cold Pacific...especially if you're into body surfing which is lacking in Miami.

6. more compact urban area;
    True..but what can one except from a more compact city ? Miami has to build up where as LA can spread

7. you get (a little) more bang for your buck;
    True..but relative to income, it might be a push. I find food about the same. Housing is definitely cheaper and the main reason I moved. You can dump a South Central bungalow and get something really nice with the proceeds.

8. more interesting architecture
    False: Miami didn't get booming till the eighties. While Fischer was kicking up sand developing MB, LA already accounted for awesome beaux arts buildings. Sometimes USC might lend Gehry to Miami to build them a music center.

9. less pollution
    No denying.

10. no earthquakes
    True I'll take a hurricane over an earthquake anyday
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 06-23-2012 at 11:18 PM.

I personally would put Orlando last on any list. It has all the personality of an Olive Garden in an airport terminal.
    That's actually a good one as well as the perception I originally had. There is nothing like an establishment selling fake Italian food that can lure that full minivan from Ohio. You're going to get that type of infrastructure any place that attracts the many tourist Orlando does...especially if it's family oriented.

I wouldn't recommend anybody living in Orlando proper. If I worked in Orlando, I'd probably settle for Winter Park which definitely has charm.

Hey I got here slightly late to this thread but just read it through and like all that I have read.

I have to second Christy though when she recommended West Ave to live in South Beach. Everything you just listed above is there. Whole Foods and Fresh Market for shopping. A Golds Gym. Walking distance to dry cleaners, nail salon, Starbucks, cute independent cafes and restaurants, nice normal people... West Ave is very removed from the craziness of Sobe and it is where all the young normal professionals live... Drs, lawyers, 9 - 5 people. It would be a good fit for you. Google map West Ave at 9th street and walk up the street on the little man camera and look around.

You can live on West Ave and not even see what goes on in Sobe, as it is far removed from Ocean Dr etc. and it would be an easy commute for you. The quiet areas you are looking to live in once you move will make it hard to meet new friends and could get lonely. At least Sobe could open up new doors for you in terms of friendships etc.
    Gus, Mario and housemusic like this.

Jess - Last time I road past Gold's, it looked like it was closed. If @housemusic is working out at the Venice location, the SB location won't cut it.

I also like this thread. Though I'm providing my B(w)est coast bias, she needs to hear both the pro and con, especially if homegirl is contemplatung the same move I made years ago.

My brut honest answer leans towards Miami under her circumstances. That's probably what I'd do under her conditions. As for mine, I'm happy keeping it real living in the woods.

I just did a map search and the nearest Olive Garden is 17 miles away. Like all the creatures that surround me, we're doing just fine fending for ourselves with local sustenance.
    housemusic likes this.

Wow! this thread is amazing. I did not expect so many responses! Not only you have shared valuable information, but you guys also give me your invaluable personal perspective. Gracias!

However, besides Christy, the board has little female representation and I need the female point of view!
    Keep in mind LA is an excellent city for women. We have a very high number of single, independent women and we enjoy nearly the same social status as men. We also live in an environment where machismo is irrelevant and outdated.

Christy, I am not into Latin culture but I understand the mentality and can adapt to it. Since I was born and spent my childhood in Uruguay, I am keenly aware of women's lower status and lack of opportunity in Latin societies. In fact, this is the primary reason I live in the USA and not in Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Italy, or many other countries where I could easily relocate through my employer (I work for a global firm).

Miami is my top pick for relocation. I am not considering Vegas, Orlando or New York. I need to make it work. It's either that, or start looking for another job at half my present salary. I've narrowed location down to Miami Beach. Not considering anything in Brickell or downtown. It's either going to be West Av, Alton Rd or further up Mid Beach or North Beach. And I found a gym that may be suitable for me: David Barton. However, if you know of any gym geared towards hard core bodybuilding let me know.

So there you have it...Now, where are the ladies here?
    I want to hear from you. I want to know what's like for an average female to live in Miami...give me the good, the bad and the ugly!

Doug,

Very good list....here's my opinion:

1. ease of access to New York, Caribbean/South America, Europe True, and I need to be closer to Europe for work
    2. vibrant culture of self-starters Not important to me
    3. more passion per capita in every day existence Can be good and bad, I'll focus on the good.
    4. stunning colors of water, sky and foliage Love it!
    5. water you can actually SWIM in Double love it!
    6. more compact urban area Not important to me
    7. you get (a little) more bang for your buck True and Very important, it's the equivalent of getting a 15% raise!
    8. more interesting architecture Not important to me
    9. less pollution Absolutely true
    10. no earthquakes Been here long enough they don't bother me

Jess is a girl too! As far as what's it's like for a woman in South Beach, it really depends. I would say 90% of the guys in Miami are Latin, Hispanic, or from Europe. If they're American they're either in town because they have a second home in Miami or they are just in Miami on a temporary basis. That has been my experience. Matt and Gus are the exceptions because they stayed and fell in love-Gus with a woman and Matt with the city itself.

On a positive Miami note, You won't find a plane hauling a swastika banner as you guys had over Venice Beach on Saturday.

housemusic likes this.

Hello Christy,

Let me clarify I am past my prime and not looking to date so the individual background of these men is irrelevant. Surely if you are a hot 21 year old you will have a great time, in Miami and everywhere else!

What is important to me is the predominant culture and the unspoken code of conduct in Miami, particularly the overall status of women which have always been, and still are, second class citizens in Latin America.

You say 90% of men are Latin American, so I will presume 90% of women are also Latin American. I'm not including Europeans as they are a tiny minority with no social, political or economic impact in the community.

So, if 90% of the population is Latin American, is it safe to presume the predominant culture is like the traditional/patriarchal Latin American culture?
    This would mean there are few women in positions of power, high tolerance for domestic violence, violence against animals, lack of respect towards women who show too much skin, low number of females in professional fields, etc. Also, double standards in the workplace and restrictive gender roles that leave women with few opportunities outside marriage to earn a good living.

So that is what I meant by living in Miami as a woman. I just hope the Latin American population has assimilated and integrated into the fabric of the US culture; and I don't mean they have to stop eating beans/rice or speaking Spanish but embracing the basic principles that make this such a great country. And that is my last question!

My eye-ball test says the hispanic presence in Miami Beach is somewhat more a bit in the mid 60% to 70% range. Christy might be right as she was/is a MB resident... I just registered differently. Sometimes yoe have to factor those from the inland enjoying a beach day.

I also think the machochism is more a phenomena in a household rather in a business enviroment. If you look around; the mayor of Maimi Beach is a woman... so is the president of the major university here. When my wife has people over from her Miami based office, it's the woman that have better positions than the guys.

According to the 2010 Census Latino/Hispanic population is 53% in Miami Beach and 70% in Miami.

You do notice a seeming indifference to feral cats in and around Miami Beach, although you will also see various groups taking action to implement effective neuter/spay and release programs. You also see people putting out food for them. In addition to its Hispanic culture, Miami Beach also retains a high Jewish population. In fact, Mid-Beach has one of the largest orthodox communities you'll see outside Manhattan. Of course, the orthodoxy is also patriarchal, but somehow the diversity of the area keeps everything in check.
    Mario likes this.

Housemusic!

First off, let me say that Miami's sun shining on you is priceless. I wouldn't wanna trade it in. The ocean and the palm trees, and most of the time walking around in shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops. Do I need to say more?

If you're so very much into working out I absolutely agree with you that South Beach is a great place for you. You'll find like-minded people all over the place there. Out of all places you've been considering, I see you on West Ave. You sound like a health-conscious person that needs lots of food readily available after working out, so having a grocery store close to where you live, better even, in walking distance, will be crucial. Whole Foods is on 10th and Alton. If you don't buy organic produce, there is Publix on 5th and Alton.

I'm sure you can find a real nice place with all the amenities somewhere on West. Very importantly, it's a safe neighborhood, and since you said you prefer a quiet, residential area, it's good to mention that it's away from the general party vibe prevalent on the beach. The only thing you'd be missing from your perfect living conditions would be leaving the building and having the beach right in front of you. But you'd be only about ten blocks away from the ocean.

I think the best places to meet people is where your hobby is and everything to do with that passion. You'd very likely start seeing the same faces at the gym and start talking to them, I imagine. Or you regularly spend a day off at the Standard spa on Miami Beach and will find interesting people there. And even if, in general, you don't like the people in Miami, I am sure you will run into a few that you will click with because they're just different from that which you don't like in people from Miami. Forget about the people you won't like; you'll find those everywhere. Just do your thing, do what's good and fun for you. Soak up the sun, and the rest will come.

You could join David Barton on 23rd and Collins, Crunch on 12th and Washington or Equinox on 5th and Collins. As to Gold's Gym on Alton: it looked very closed to me as well last time I drove by.

I can't help but recommending for you to try out a hot yoga class. It's called Bikram Yoga - 110 degrees in the room and you sweat out around 3 liters. You can find a studio on 11th and Washington Ave. I have a good friend (a neighbor from my old neighborhood in Coral Gables) who is a bodybuilder. She's been working out at the Bally's Gym there in the Gables for as long as I've known her, and is still buff to this day. She used to compete, and at some point she won third place in Miami. She would always talk about cardio and low body fat. She asked me to join her in speed walking around the neighborhood (which is much more fun with someone else). We also used to go to the steam room together at the gym to keep the body fat low (for her) and I just love to sweat. We kind of lost touch over the years, but I saw a post of hers on FB a while back that she finally tried Bikram, and she admits that it really kicked her butt, and therefore is a great workout. It's great for toning ;-)

I lived on South Beach for about five years. The problem I found with people is that many just aren't being straight up with you. Clarity is missing, but you get the real message through their tone or simply by the BS content of what they're saying. One example I can think of is the manner in which men on South Beach would hit on me. It would be in such a sneaky way, almost like they're trying to trick you into a conversation by asking you something irrelevant. A not very smooth way to approach a woman. It would turn me off. Even girls hitting on me - most of the time real sweet and direct - showed more of the assertiveness and aggression expected by a male.

Do you like to go out and party? Judging by your user name I imagine you like to dance
    Gus and Blackford Oakes like this.

rk

Take a look at the south pointe (i.e. south of fifth) neighborhood. I think you'll like it more than West Ave/Alton Rd.

rk

Doug, good list, though you missed the mark with #2.

Miami City leans towards 70% Hispanic, the county is less. Miami Beach is more around 50%, Hispanic. But included in these numbers are 2nd and 3rd generation Hispanics which aren't old-fashioned or patriarchal.

I agree with Blackford, the machismo might be more of a household phenomena, as opposed to something that happens in a business environment. Both UM and Barry U had female presidents, the most influential members of congress in South Florida is a woman, I've worked at many places where women held high senior positions.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast