Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Looking to relocate from Los Angeles to Miami

Default Re: Looking to relocate from Los Angeles to Miami

My views on parking might be jaded because I'm South of downtown. There is is no street parking in Brickell and moeso on Brickell Key.

Your'e basically forced to park within your building. In the case where I live, all parking spots are taken. Some of the residents have to resort to daily valet parking, which usually means open air. A parking slot comes at an additional cost aside the unit. We secured two spots and have no trouble renting the other one out.. If we have two cars coinciding when in Miami, my wife has priveledges at her office across the rotunda. Not an ideal situation with the humidity or rain.

This might be an issue distinct to Brickell, but I'm not sure.

If I haven't done so before, I offer my friendship. Just DM when you get here if you wish.

I'll volunteer to consxole you if you get homesick...and you will.

Had some friends chide me from LA last night. They overtook my picnic spot at the Cecil B Demille Barn before they x'd the st for Miles Davis Tribute at the Hollywood Bowl. It killed me ! - but the machinations are all set for my return to where I belong.

I'll be bogged down in FL for ay least 18 months, but it's actually a good thing.

Maimi < LA.

You'll see.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 06-28-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    You guys, this is turning into a great discussion!

As for those saying high rises on West aren't that personal and small buildings in sofi are more friendly, I may be the only forum member on here to have lived in both places. Don't get me wrong, sofi is great, and I enjoyed living there very much. But, living in a high rise has its benefits. What do you do in sofi in your 2 story art deco building when your neighbors are playing music at 4am? Or when there is a dog barking through the night next door? Living in an art deco building is all very well, but guaranteed not all your neighbors will have the same schedule as you. And if you are a 9-5 person, or someone who likes to wake up early and work out, this may not be the best fit for you. High rises along West have 24hr security who enforce the no noise disturbance law between 11pm and 7am. And art deco buildings have very thin walls unlike the concrete high rises. If you end up staying here to live and having a normal, non 24/7 party lifestyle, the little buildings do not work.
    I should mention that the deco building I was in was a smaller, two story place with concrete construction, and I hardly heard the neighbors at all -- unless someone was walking down the center hall. I've also been in high-rises where you could hear neighbors through the walls. I think you're at the mercy of the individual building.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I should mention that the deco building I was in was a smaller, two story place with concrete construction, and I hardly heard the neighbors at all -- unless someone was walking down the center hall. I've also been in high-rises where you could hear neighbors through the walls. I think you're at the mercy of the individual building.

Through Gus's graces, I enjoyed a few nights at the the old Sherbrooke on 7th and Collins. It's an older building, and pretty fortified against sound aside the half powered impotent AC.

I however was there for an experience and left the windows open to hear the movement of the streets. Without filters. it can get loud at all hours. During that stay, I was even hoping for an aspiration of a past old jewish ghost tenant.

Though the building was behind Mangoes, was pretty much impervious to what was happening there.

At least some of those art deco buildings I criticize never heard of dry wall. Basically a sound proof aside my invitation for street rhtyhm.

Hello again Miami friends!

I am seeking your comments and opinions one more time.

Below is a description of my daily routine. Take a look and let me know whether this is realistic and can be had without much urban frustration (parking, traffic, construction, etc).

- 9.00am Arrive at work in office located at Washington Blvd and 5th - Sobe
    - 12.00pm Lunch at a nearby cafe leaning towards healthy
    - 6.00pm Drive (or walk) to the gym (Crunch, Equinox or DB) OR go to the beach closest to my apartment
    - 8.00pm Dinner at nearby cafe or buy something to go at Whole Foods or similar
    - 9.00pm Arrive at beautiful, modern, super clean apartment,hopefully with ocean view/water view.

I have been looking at pictures and like AKOYA Condominiums on Collins and 63rd. They have rentals and I am in contact with their leasing office. Does anyone here know the building? What would be the most inconvenient/unpleasant/negative feature about this building? And who would my neighbors be?

Thanks in advance for your opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by housemusic View Post
    Below is a description of my daily routine. Take a look and let me know whether this is realistic and can be had without much urban frustration (parking, traffic, construction, etc).

- 9.00am Arrive at work in office located at Washington Blvd and 5th - Sobe
    - 12.00pm Lunch at a nearby cafe leaning towards healthy
    - 6.00pm Drive (or walk) to the gym (Crunch, Equinox or DB) OR go to the beach closest to my apartment
    - 8.00pm Dinner at nearby cafe or buy something to go at Whole Foods or similar
    - 9.00pm Arrive at beautiful, modern, super clean apartment,hopefully with ocean view/water view.
    Wow. You just described my daily routine pretty much. So yes, totally doable and easily achieved.

Lunch can always be ordered in, but if you wanted to go out from 5th st, walk 2 blocks to Fresh on Fifth on Ocean Drive where they make fresh salads to order.

6pm you can hit Equinox which is next to your work, so I'd recommend that gym. But if you choose a high rise you will probably have a gym in your building, saving you a gym fee each month.

Whole Foods for dinner hits both options... our WF has a cafe within, so you can go and choose your dinner and eat it outside at one of the dining tables. GREAT way to meet locals too when you are new to the area.
    housemusic likes this.

housemusic,

Regarding weekends; you'll eventually want to venture out and skip the neighborhhod bike ride. Sooner you later . your Beamer is going to scream for some serious rpm's.

The options aren't diverse as back home, but still worthy of a drive and an overnight. It's how I keep sane in FL.

Just to mention a few, The Keys is an awesome ride. Many here will favor going all out to Key west, but a day excursion to the middle keys is very reasonable.

Eventually, you'll head West. Sanibel and Captiva Islands are my favorite FL retreats. It's worthy of the 2.5 hr drive and an overnight or two.

Thank you again peeps!

@Jess, very glad you think my routine is "totally doable and easily achieved"!
    I looked at the map and concur Equinox would be a good pick. I need the high energy level of a commercial gym versus that of a residential gym. I hear Crunch may be more suitable for bodybuilding which is my primary hobby.
    What's the traffic like on Collins during business rush hours?

@Blackford, not sure I will take my car to FLA. I'm thinking of selling it and buying something that is "Miami appropriate" when I get there.
    About the weekends, forget the neighborhood bike ride. I'll take the elevator ride down to the beach!
    That's why I am considering those buildings in Collins with direct beach access.
    I've been down to Key West, and totally agree that an excursion down to Little Palm Key would be a fantastic escape. So beautiful!
    Have not been to Sanibel, will have to check that out.

One more thing, with the traffic here, there are no easy ways to escape LA. As of late, I function within a 6 mile radius, and even that is pretty aweful.

Since your radius sounds restrictive, I suggest you go for a lease.

The traffic on Collins and Washington (where Crunch is actually located) isn't too bad... it moves along as SoBe doesn't really have a 'rush hour'... well not a 9-5 one anyways. Maybe at 3am it's packed, but definitely not at 6pm. Crunch is at 14th and Washington, so 9 blocks up from your office. You could walk it by the time you've moved your car, the blocks are short here. I know that's what I'd do.

Where could I get an insiders' scoop on The Akoya building?

I don't think any regulars on here live in North Beach or in that building. I am sure it's a good building. I'd call up their management office and start by asking them questions about their residents, building regulations etc.

You really have to visit both places and see for yourself. If you can afford a really nice building in SoFi I would opt for that, because you're in a walkable area, whereas West can seem a little isolated. But if you're living and working in SoFi you might get tired of the area because it is so small. Both areas are great..I say go for whichever building you like more. I would check out the Cosmopolitan in SoFi--I've always loved that building. The Yacht club is affordable but it gets mixed reviews. Are you renting furnished or unfurnished?

Here's a one bed at the Cosmopolitan but it's pricey at 2400 for a one bed..I guess West is a better value.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/apa/3116107182.html

Hi Christy,

Thank you for your comments!
    The unit at Cosmopolitan is gorgeous and a perfect match for my modern minimalism taste. Unfortunately it exceeds my $ 2000 per month budget.

I've been looking at rentals in Craigs List and it appears I can get more for the money if I go up Collins Av between the high 40's and low 70's (North Beach). I am looking for an Unfurnished 1-bedroom, 1 year lease.

I would love to find a newer building, and get an apartment on a high floor with vew. The highlight of my evenings will be taking the elevator down to the beach, and after a swim jump in the pool! This is more important for me than living in a walkable area with restaurants/cafes, etc.

Since I will be working in South Beach, I could do all my errands after work (Whole Foods, Equinox, cleaners, pharmacy, etc.) and then drive up Collins to my apartment. Jess told me this is totally doable and easily achieved.. YEAY!
    Christy likes this.

Homegirl:

Though I tried to dissuade you, I'm proud you know what you want.

Sounds like we'll be seeing you soon.

I googled the Akoya, it's a nice building and I think its either new construction or newly remodeled. There's a pool on the rooftop. Do you know how many stories the building has? FYI, that area around 63rd Street isn't very walkable and doesn't have any cafes or markets close by, until you get to 71st Street.

@ Christy, 2400 for a 1 room ? that's too much, even for South Beach.

Mario,
    I noticed that area does not have much. However, a new Publix is opening accross the street from Canyon Ranch. At least I won't go hungry :-)
    I'm also looking at The Crown condos located at 4041 Collins. Old building but fully renovated with beach access. The 1 bd runs under
    $ 2000.

Blackford,
    You warned me, but I rather be employed in Miami than collecting unemployment in LA.
    It's tough to find a good job these days. it's even tougher to score a rich boyfriend when you're over 40...so I have no choice ;-)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HOUSEMUSIC!!

HAPPY 4TH, EVERYONE!!
    housemusic likes this.

Is it your birthday? Nice to have a guaranteed day off each year to celebrate!
    housemusic likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast