Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Looking to relocate from Los Angeles to Miami

Default Looking to relocate from Los Angeles to Miami

Hello Miami!
    I'm a single middle-aged female seeking to relocate to Miami in late October. I'm a business professional in the hospitality industry, no children, no pets. I am also fluent in Spanish and fairly comfortable with the Latin American culture prevalent in Miami.
    I will be working in South Beach but I do not want to live in that area.
    Can anyone suggest a nice neighborhood? I prefer an area with people like myself (i.e other professionals who relocated from somewhere else), but will consider all areas that are safe and have easy access to the main freeways.
    My budget is up to $ 2,000 a month for a one bedroom apartment, and I would love a nice place with all the amenities, maybe one of the hotels with residences?
    Any and all suggestions are welcome, particularly from people who moved from LA!
    Thanks in advance.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Default Re: Looking to relocate from Los Angeles to Miami

Hi housemusic, welcome to Miami Beach 411. Thanks for introducing yourself and posting your question here.

I relocated from Los Angeles to Miami in October of 2000 and have been very happy since. The two cities have enough similarities to make the transition feel comfortable, and enough differences to keep it interesting. In my opinion, the vibe in South Beach and Venice Beach are kind of alike. In LA, I lived all over the city,. starting in Toluca Lake, and then to Hancock Park, Beverly Hills, and Nichols Canyon, before moving here.

Have you considered Coconut Grove, or the norhern part of Miami Beach?.. Those are both nice areas to live, with good amenities, and close enough to South Beach to make the commute bearable.

Why don't you want to live in South Beach, may I ask? A lot of people say they don't want to live too close to the party scene, but given your budget, you could have a very nice place, and not have to worry about the loud music and congestion that many people are afraid of.

Will you have parking where you'll be working? As you may have heard, parking can really be a hassle in South Beach. If you lived on the beach, riding a bike to work is so convenient, not to mention save you a few hundred dollars a month.

There is also something about living near the ocean that feels so nice.

One word: midtown. Right now it is the place for any kind of young processional. And a short commute to South Beach. And still kinda feels like America.

You might like Mid-Beach. That way you're close, but out of the frenzy. There are parts that are very single family residential.

Thank you so much for responding!
    I really appreciate the opinions as I'm in the initial planning stages and it is confusing, not to mention time consuming, to do research from so far away.

@Gus, since you were a Cali resident I am replying separately.

@Matt, I've been lurking through your posts for a while now. You're my source for a good dose of realism ;-)
    I have to map out "midtown", no clue where that is.

@Doug, Yes, I like "mid beach", above the Fountainbleu. I was in Miami Beach last month and spent five nights at Canyon Ranch Spa. Now, that would be the place to live!

In general terms..how bad is the crime in Miami?
    Not necessarily violent crime but car break-ins, petty theft, etc. On this note, I always use common sense and have lived in NY and other big cities but Miami has a notorious reputation on this.

Hi Gus,

Glad to hear about your success story!
    Venice has been my home for the past 20 years. I lived in New York twice, and also out of the country - Europe and Latin America - all for work. I've always kept my place in Venice, and I will probably rent it out when I move to Miami. That way I can always come back to Cali if things don't work out.

Honestly, I find South Beach much more international than Venice. I was there last month, and it was just like the Latin American beach resorts. Nearly everyone was South American or Caribbean, and the vibe was definitely Latin, with a tropical twist!

I did not look at Coconut Grove, mostly because I only had five days. I looked at the Northern part of Miami Beach, and went up to Sunny Isles too. I actually saw an area, I think it's called Normandy Island, which seemed peaceful and with little traffic/street noise.

If I had my wish, it would be a nice apartment building on the ocean or accross the street, with all the amenities. I also want to be close to a good supermarket, pharmacy, cafes/restaurants.

I do not want to base my home choice on the office location. It may sound strange but I prefer to commute to work from a nice residential, quiet area with lots of palm trees! Hopefully the commute is not more than 30 minutes, but being from LA, I am used to horrible traffic.

At the moment the hardest thing is to separate fantasy from reality and stop dreaming about life in a tropical island amongst palm trees and exotic birds...And that's why I joined Miami411!

Hi housemusic,

Welcome to the Forums!

With your budget I think the two best places to live would be:

1. South beach-one of the nice high rises along Alton Rd or West Ave, or you might get lucky and find a new or renovated one bed in a small building in South Beach. With your budget, stick to a gut renovated or brand new unit in a smaller building. You might be able to get something in the South of Fifth area which is more residential.

2. Brickell- It sound like you would be a perfect fit for a really nice one bedroom/studio in Brickell. I looked at places there and the most gorgeous building is the Infinity.

Christy,

thanks for your comments!

I am familiar with Alton Road and that location would be convenient to my office. And I have no clue about Brickell...All I know is the area is full of new buildings some of which are luxury type residences (I like!). However I do not want to live in a densely populated urban area that feels like New York when you walk out the door.
    So, I have two questions...is $ 2000 per month enough for a nice apartment in a new building?
    For the record, you would need at least $ 3,500 in LA for an apartment in a new building, specially if in a prime neighborhood.
    and why do you think it would be a good fit for me?

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

housemusic, we're happy you joined the site. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Miami has been a long, strange trip for me. I came for what I thought was going to be an extended vacation, and never left. The city gave me the opportunity to explore my creative side, without all the pressure to achieve success and fame that was driving me in LA. I could grow at my own pace.

For a person who's lived in Venice, your might not find South Beach as similar as I said. I was speaking more toward the feeling of living in a beach community that also has a ghetto side. Most people who move here have never experienced this type of lifestyle, and that is why I tend to recommend it, but with you having spent as much time as you did living in Venice, I understand it not being as important to you. That being said, living in Mid Beach or North Beach won't be much different than South Beach, in my opinion.

Are you planning to move here and find a place, or visit again and look for a place to live, before you move?

DON'T DO IT !!!

Hi Housemusic, I'm the native Angelino around here. Proudly born and raised in The City of Lights.

I get kind of misanthropic about Miami at times, but it has some things that appeal to me. At the age of 42, I left CA eight years ago. I have a residence in Miami, but spend the grand majority of my time hidden in the woods of Central Florida. The contrast justifies part of the reason of the move, but I wouldn't swap Miami for LA in a straight up deal.

To be blunt about the move, you're going to forgo many dimensions making the move here. Some I'm sure you don't care about now, but they'll surely crop up and you'll miss them for sure.

Once you go a bit inland from the water's fringes, you are confronted with a Huntington Park type layout throughout the city. Yes, there are some exceptions and a hidden gems here and there- but too few to dilute the total picture of the city in a favorable light.

I took note that you didn't mind driving. LA traffic moves in an organized fashion. To provide you an example; My last job was in Venice for a TBWA affiliate. You might be familiar with that binocular structure on Miami St.,four blocks from the beach My commute each way was under 40 minutes between Los Feliz. If I convert that drive to Miami, multiply everything by at least a factor of two.

If you're going to work at SB, I would encourage you to live within a 15-20 commute. With that said, Brickell is within reason and within your nice budget. You really have to qualify yourself a bit to make sure you feel comfortable there. It's a more rooted community than over at the beach with a heavy concentration of South American professionals. Quite a bit of a culture shock compared to LA, because the brightest and most ambidextrous businesss folk in Miami live there in my opinion.

I wish you all the best.

Gus - I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks in Hancock Park. Actually it wasn't that bad. A few blocks East of Rossmore on Arden. Maybe I walked your hood each morning to 3rd and Detroit. Ya - I went to that little Catholic boys HS called Daniel Murphy ( hey ! hey ! hey ! Red City ! )

hi,

I think Brickell would be a good fit for you because it's super close to SoBe and has really nice full amenity buildings largely filled with single professionals. I would say Brickell is 80% Latin, and everyone is fairly upper class, educated, and outgoing. Since you speak Spanish that's a plus. If you want to date Latin then Brickell it is! Both Brickell and South Beach are nice..Brickell has nicer high rises to choose from but as far as going out I could see myself getting tired of the places there. South Beach has a lot more options, but people who live in Brickell do go out in South Beach.

Katalina, one of our forum members lives in Bricekll and loves it there.

The other reason I think Brickell and South Beach are the best places to live is because you can walk to shopping, restaurants, and nightlife. For me that's a huge plus and really makes the area livable.
    Last edited by Christy; 06-22-2012 at 01:01 AM.

One more thing to add about Brickell: With your budget, I'd forget about Brickell Ave. and look at Brickell Key instead.
    We're at one of the older buildings and a 1br can be well had under your budget at Brickell I or II.

Though we are not there often, if certain things get moved around, we're looking to switch to one of the Tequesta buildings, which should also fall within your budget.

In essence: Brickell Key > Brickell.

As of last month, a free trolly operates within the area in case you want to forgo driving. Brickell Key is only a bridge xing and w2 block walk to Brickell Ave and 8th.

************************************************** **************************************************

Next time you're here, head to the produce section of Publix and tell us what you think. That would probably be your first of many disappiontments. Good luck if you're into dinosaur eggs and other produce you won't find.

************************************************** **************************************************

It might occur to you to ask: WTF am I doing in FL ?

I actually like this state and even enjoy Miami. I'm also in a sort of transition back West that has some recently arisen personal complications and will be slower than I thought.

I'm just an Angelino being straight up with my own kind. Gus and Matt are the only Californians here that I know off here on these forums and are happy. Hopefully you'll survive Matt's two year rule and call Soth Florida home.

I have also returned to Southern California after my time in Miami, and while I don't regret all my Miami adventures -- and I'm still happy to share the knowledge I gleaned with everyone here -- I have to say that California is a much better fit for me all around. I currently live in Palm Springs, and I enjoy the diversity of climate, the more civilized feel to things (with notable exceptions, of course), and the friendlier interpersonal relations. For beauty and pace of life, I like San Diego, for opportunity and lasting friendships, I like LA, and for ease of daily living, I like Palm Springs. Miami (Beach) certainly beats Southern California in terms of pace and energy, although in the last few years, it's become more like Vegas than the nonconformist international village it used to be in the '90s.

Doug - I don'y necessarily buy into Miami Beach having a quicker pace than LA. It's illusional, as desirable real-estate and places to socialize are more dense and limited. I tried making that point to @housemusic.

Just defining the job market and industry in LA alone is an easy indicator about pace - but yes, LA has that laid back image. That image was usually exclusive in comparing to NYC, but that impression took hold nationally somehow

Another factor is lack of organization. It's gotten to the point where Matt Meltzer wants to run over pedestrians to get to B from A.
    (Matt - just having fun bro )
    Jess likes this.

Blackford, I think with "pace", we're talking about apples and oranges. I'm not really talking about socializing and real estate. I mean in terms of people tailgating, angling to get by you, eager to run red lights, people addressing you in that fast, blunt, pushy east coast way. While some people who move to LA bring a little of that with them, the prevailing mood in CA is much more mellow in nature. Here, people make conversation with you more; nowadays when I talk with businesses in South Beach on the phone, I'm shocked to see how quickly they'll cut me off in mid-sentence. If Miami were a drug, it would be cocaine; if California were a drug, it would be marijuana. Of course, you can find exceptions to generalizations everywhere, but I do find my observations to be true most of the time.

If Miami were a drug, it would be cocaine; if California were a drug, it would be marijuana. Of course,
    .... YES ! and maybe with shades of a primo doobie in-between

Thank you so much for the advice, opinion andinformation...though I'm a little nervous with Blackford's "DON'T DOIT" admonition...
    Let me tell you a bit more about my situation.
    For the past 20 or so years I've been living the good life in Cali. I've workedvery hard to reach my goals and I have deep roots in LA.
    Then something happened...my employer merged with another company and theoffice in LA will close in October. I can relocate to Las Vegas, Orlando, NewYork or Miami. Or I could get another job. Problem is, the economy in LA ispretty much dead, we have high unemployment and there is only one vibrantindustry (entertainment). Replacing my current job/position/seniority/salary isimpossible. So there you have it...I don't want to move, but I have to if Iwant to maintain my lifestyle, and I think Miami is the best choice for me.
    I like everything about Miami, except the people (this is a generalization thathas to do with the fact that people in Miami are vastly different than what iam used to in LA). Also, Miami falls well with eventual plans for retirement inFlorida.

I am entirely aware that Miami is like a foreign city, more like Caracas orBuenos Aires than LA. The rules (or lack thereof) are different.
    I also know that I will miss the many things that make LA so great, and I amnot going with high expectations. Blackford, I've been to Publix, you areright, it's a far cry from Whole Foods. I have narrowed down my needs, and Ithink I can handle Miami if I plan correctly and get the basics covered:

1) safe/nice place to live
    2) commute under 30 minutes
    3) live close to a good supermarket, takeout, pharmacy, cleaners, conveniencestore, etc.
    4) a large bodybuilding gym with lots of equipment like Golds Gym Venice (I'm afitness buff)
    5) good quality medical/dental professionals within reasonable distance

Certain things like restaurants, bars, nightclubs or social events are lowpriorities for me as I spend my free time working out, getting massages/spatime, running at the beach or shopping.

Last, but not least, Forbes magazine named Miami as the most miserable city inthe USA. The article came out last February. Here is the link, I would welcomeyour honest opinions!

www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/02/02/americas-most-miserable-cities

As you have another option in FL. let me make you aware that Orlando draws 51M annnual visitors, compared to 12M for Dade County. Just food for thought as you're in the hospitality business. Though the tourist season has it's high and lows, people come year round to Orlando. It's pretty stable compared to Miami. Orlando also gives Las Vegas a run for it's money as a top convention destination.

Maybe if Miami doesn't work out, you can still move within the company and try Orlando out. Just seems to me, your professional growth potential is greater in CFL.

I reside 20mi SW of Orlando's amusement area and do have some gripes, but I've seen plenty of improvement. There has been some success drawing other industies. Slowly, the family oriented feel to the town is giving way a bit.

If I was still howling as a 23 yr old man, I'd probably gravitate towards Miami. Having easy access to the beach and better nightlife is a huge plus. It's also nice knowing ir doesn't have to be permanent.

Can appreciate you work out at The Mecca. The Golds Gym in Orlando is the biggest in the chain and a very fine gym. The SB location was not very good and closed down. I'm sure others here will discuss Miami's gym options for you.

The bottom line issue is you're not moving from a " fly-over" state and get immediately impressed with the pace and weather.

Eventually, you'll work out that moral algebra stuff.

I personally would put Orlando last on any list. It has all the personality of an Olive Garden in an airport terminal. We were discussing this Forbes article you mentioned on some previous threads. I don't know how objective these studies are, but they always seem to put Honolulu and San Diego near the top, and Miami near the bottom. So either Miami's chamber of commerce isn't doing the right amount of bribing, or things really are as bad as they say. I agree that Miami lacks social graces and it's hard to make a good living, but if you're going to be miserable, it's much nicer to do so under the coconut palms with soft ocean breezes coasting off the clear turquoise water!

It sounds like your best bet would be on (the west side of) South Beach. If you'd like an alternative, South Miami could work. If you look around near the intersection of Sunset Drive and SW 57th Ave, you can find a nice, walkable neighborhood.
    Mario and Catt like this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast