Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: Moving from NJ to Miami - Advice

New User

Smile Moving from NJ to Miami - Advice

Hello everyone, my name is Jeff and this is my first time posting to this board.
    I currently live in Bloomfield, NJ and i am seriously considering relocating to Miami
    next year. I would like everyones opinion and recommendation about where to live,
    what to do, to transfer jobs, etc. Im about 98% sure I want to leave and move to the sun.

Heres aittle about me:

-23 years old African american male; single
    -I currently make around 45k a year as a manager of a retail location
    -English is my only fluent language, however I really want to learn Spanish
    so being in a area where it is ubiquitous would definitely help
    -I am in love with Spanish, Dominican, Cuban, and black women lol
    -I have lived in NJ 90% of my life and I am sick in tired of being teased with
    2 months of sunshine and warmth and 10 months of bullish*t weather lol
    - I really feel like I have outgrown NJ and ready to make a change
    -I will be moving alone, and do not have any family down there
    -I am working on a 100% computer/ portable business but it is not up and running
    so for the time being 45k a year is what I will have to live off ( assuming they don't change
    my pay to offset the cost of living down there)
    -I love to party and drink and have fun
    -I need comfort, i don't want to but can do without luxury (kinda....) but i need to live in a area that fits me
    - I will have a car but would like a place where Im walking distance to the nightlife, a short drive to the beach
    and I can have a ocean view of some sort.

I like to travel and especially to places like Costa Rica and DOminican Republic so being right by those places
    is a major plus. Ive visited Miami on 2 different occasions but only for a few hours (layover between flights). I
    spent majority of the time by Oceans and Collins area and I loved it.

With all the given factors where would be the best area for me to move to? What will the transition be like?
    Will I be able to make it with my given income?If not how much more will I need to make. Just from reading post on here the two places that stick out are Berwell and South Beach. Any input?

-Jeff

Default Re: Moving from NJ to Miami - Advise

Hi Jeff,
    Welcome to the board!
    I joined last month and have received a lot of information on this board. You are in the right place to ask questions!
    Although my situation is different than yours, I suggest you read through my thread "Looking to relocate from Los Angeles to Miami" and other threads from people who are in the transition period.
    A lot of people have contributed on the subject of living and renting in South Beach. Based on the personal information you provided, this may be a good choice for you. I am not familiar with Berwell.
    Good luck on the move!

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Default Re: Moving from NJ to Miami - Advice

Hi Jeff, welcome to Miami Beach 411. Thanks for introducing yourself.

If you decide to move, will you stay with the same employer? The reason I ask is, the City of Miami is spread out, and it helps to live close to where you're working.

Based on your screen name, if I was to guess what you do for a living, I'd say you're either an expert barista at a high end coffee company, or a professional Chippendale's dancer. If I'm right, Miami's job market is well suited for you. Just kidding about your screen name.

Will you have a car?

45k a year is considered a decent salary in Miami. You should be able to find a nice place to live, have a good quality of life, and still put a little money in the bank.

For new people, I tend to recommend living in South Beach - It's where most of the young people are, and there is something very special about living in a beach community, where you can walk and ride your bike wherever you want to go.

In South Beach, for places to live, check out the Mirador apartment building on West Avenue and the residential streets West of Washington Avenue and East of Alton Road. The way to find the cheapest apartments for rent is to drive around the neighborhood and look for "For Rent" signs. Most of the really good deals don't advertise.

There's not many places to live on Ocean Drive and Collins Avenue, unless you move up to Mid and North Beach, but the demographic changes a lot up there. In most of the high rises in that section of town, you'd probably find at least 65% of your neighbors to be retired people.

New User

Thank you guys for the early responses!

@House - I will be sure to check out your thread

@Gus - LOL at the screename humor, but so you know I acutally work at Staples as a Sales Manager; I will probably keep that
    job for the time being. I was looking at the Infinity building in Brickell... is that out of my price range?

Igring973,

The Infinity is a beautiful building!
    I checked it out before zeroing into another area. Rent for a one bedroom is in the $ 2000 per month range.

Hi Jeff!

45k a year is a GREAT salary to have down here. I will be very happy for you if you get to keep it. Most people work 2 jobs for that salary on the beach. Moving here without knowing anyone shouldn't be an issue if you move to South Beach but if you end up in a suburb it will be harder. Don't forget the lure of Miami isn't really the whole city... it is just a small part of Miami Beach known as South Beach that has the beach, babes and nightlife. The rest of Miami, for the most part, is pretty suburban and boring.

So my advice would be find out where you will be working and go from there. If you are going to run the Staples in South Beach, well that would be awesome. But if you are working way out in Kendall, living in South Beach may be a pain, plus a real nightmare of a commute.

Brickell is a good place to live but very expensive. No beach of course, but if you have a car, it's not far away. The nightlife is a good and there are many good places to eat.

Hi Igrind!

Two things to consider..the Hispanic population in NJ is a lot different than the Hispanic population in Miami. I believe that the Dominicans and Puerto Ricans in NJ are mixed with African and in Miami that's not the case. So I'm not sure you'll find the girls you're thinking of in Miami.

The other thing is that I doubt the salary of a staples manager in Maimi pays 45K..but I'm sure you can find that out. I think you'd like South Beach over Brickell.

Yes salaries here tend to be a LOT lower, despite the cost of living being relatively high. Are you guaranteed a transfer down here with the same position? If you make 45K, you could afford a 1 BR in the Beach, though I don't know that it would be all that nice. Assuming you keep the 1/3 of take home as rent rule.

I'd recommend looking a little further north in the Beach in some older buildings. You may have to take cabs and that to get to South Beach clubs, but your rent savings will be significant.

What Jess said was spot on, though...live near where you work. If you're working in West Kendall or up in Broward, move close to there. Commutes here can be life suckers.

And finally, if your job will not give you the same job down here. don't move until you have guaranteed income coming in. Like don't move without a job. You'll find you burn through money a lot faster than you'd anticipated.

rk

I may have missed it, but you may want to wait until you known where you'll be working before deciding on specific locations. 45k is a fair salary for your age, but not enough for a luxury lifestyle. I recommend not spending more than 25% of that on rental, if you're frugal in other ways you could stretch it to $1500/mo but that should be the very highest.

1/1 at Infinity has been renting for between $1700 and $1900 lately.

New User

Jeff,
    I live in North Bergen, but I'm moving to Bloomfield in two weeks until March in order to bank some loot. I'm going down to Miami the beginning of March to compete in my first triathlon and I'm going to stay for the music conference. That's when I'm going to decide on transferring to one of my companies locations in Miami. They have one in Kendall and one in Hallandale. Keep me posted either on here or email as to what and where you finally wind up. Good Luck.

Joey

Joey, just a word of advice: Hallandale over Kendall 6 days a week and twice on Sunday. Kendall is the armpit of suburban Hell. If you're gonna move there, you may as well stay in Jersey.

Which race are you doing in March?

Hallandale - live in Hollywood Beach

Kendall - Don't move - Commuting everywhere from there and the beach would be too far for you to enjoy it. If you are guaranteed 8 hour days, then maybe. But 10+ hour shifts plus 1-1.5 hours daily driving doesn't leave you much time to enjoy South Beach.

$45k in Miami is not great, its average. Its less than a $1k week, which is what most servers/bartenders make here. Car insurance is very expensive here (as it is NJ i'm sure), Restaurants are expensive, parking isn't free anywhere, and it adds up. Plus the lifestyle here makes you want to spend money, which can get people into trouble.

If you could get the South Beach store like they said above, then you could live in a nice studio or 1 bedroom near West Ave. and walk to work and really save some money and enjoy life.

Good luck!

Not having car insurance is a popular way to save money here. I suggest you look into it.
    Tripti likes this.

New User

Matt,
    I'm doing the Miami 25/75 which is actually a sprint. 1/2 mile swim, 13 mile bike, 3.2 mile run. It's going to be my first tri so I'll be happy just to finish. lol. I may stay an extra week or so if the WMC is in the beginning of March like it was last year.
    I talked to a couple of people that worked at the Hallandale and Kendall locations, and they kind of said the same thing, Hallandale over Kendall especially when it comes to speaking Spanish for my job, which is in professional audio sales and is commission. My Spanish isn't very good but I could get by, as I said I live in North Bergen which has the second highest Cuban population in the country after Miami.

Sobespace,
    Yeah, I looked on the map and my job would be on Hallandale Beach Blvd by I95, and Hollywood Beach seems like a good idea. What are apartment prices in that area? I'm well aware of the nightlife and spending, as I also DJ at some pretty big venues in NYC, Atlantic City, and Philly. I do have a couple of friends in the area, an ex gf who splits they're time between Miami and Bermuda, and another friend in the music industry who just relocated down there about 8 months ago, although he went to UofM so he already had ties there.

Joey, Matt is spot on about Hallandale compared to Kendall but I would not be as harsh.

Jeff,
    If I were you, I would definitely look at South Beach instead. Brickell doesn't offer too much variety in places to live and therefore the rents are pretty much the same. You can get a small place in South Beach with no amenities with rent less than what you would pay in Brickell and you have the beach right there. While there are plenty of Latin women in Brickell, it gets old very quickly. They are not from here and are thus very different that the american girls who are of Latin descent. I personally have no special attraction towards Latin women and have much more of an affinity towards asian and eastern european women. Brickell is a lot like Jersey City in terms of its layout; skyscrapers along the water and not too much as you go west. Not to say it's a bad place to live, you will find that as an american, you'll spend more time hanging out on the beach. I'm from NYC and I can tell you it's much different down here. But that's not to say you won't like it. I for one, love loving down here.

Audio sales in Kendall? Shit, you'll also be the only guy not living with his parents.