Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Why can't I find an apartment near a MetroRail Station?

Hello everyone. I'm in a bit of a bind, and worried about the resolution of my house hunt in Miami. Here are the facts:

1) I have a job in Coral Gables near one of the train stations.

2) My living situation is a bit complex. Due to the economy, my wife and I live in different states. She'd like to move to Miami but until December, at the earliest, we will have to manage two households.

3) Because of (2), I want to limit myself to around $2k in rent. In a pinch I could go a bit higher.

4) Because of (1) I would like good access to MetroRail or MetroMover so I can go carless.

5) I will be relocating to Miami around 8/12 - 8/17. I won't be able to visit Miami again until then as I have already started my job, and they have me working on a business deal on the other side of the country until I move. I also can't afford to just pop out to Miami from here.

My initial feeling is that Brickell, Downtown, or Omni are the best locations given that I want good train access, and the prices seem right. I looked at some places there when I was in town briefly, but I honestly know nothing about Miami and its environs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Why can't I find an apartment near a MetroRail Station?

Hi zeamaize,

Welcome! Another forum member, HouseMusic, had the same sort of budget, and we answered questions about the Brickell and Downtown area over there. Check out this thread.

You will want to stay away from South Beach as it will take you forever to get over the bridge to the metrorail using public transportation.

What size apartment are you looking for?

Are you going to sign a year lease?

ou have a lot of options, really, with that budget. I'd advise against Brickell, just because it's getting overcrowded there and the people are not the best. Not scuzzy or anything, just not all that nice or welcoming.

Downtown or that area you call omni are both good. You could also look at downtown dadeland near the metro there, or downtown south miami. Both nice suburban arrested with walkable shopping and all that. Just don't venture north of downtown on the metrorail line as those areas are pretty rough.

New User

Hi Michelle, thanks for your reply! Sorry for the tardiness of mine. My whole situation isn't conducive to internet access outside of work right now, though hopefully I'll have better access soon.

I'll check out the thread, thanks for the pointer!

I'm ideally looking for a 2/2 apartment, as my wife will (hopefully) be joining me in January. I intend to sign a year lease. I could also do a shorter term lease until she arrives, for a 1/1.