Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Son relocating to Miami very soon, need help finding area to live quickly

New User

Default Re: Son relocating to Miami very soon, need help finding area to live quickly

Thank You everyone for your advice. He found a furnished condo in North Beach,seemed best for his territory but still close enough to South Beach for action. It will also be alot cooler than San Antonio these days 102!!
    Thanks again and hopefully my son enjoys Miami~

New User

Default Re: Son relocating to Miami very soon, need help finding area to live quickly

Hi everyone im from Argentina and we are moving to miami soon with my husband and my little boy, i have a friend in coral gables that help us trying to find a job in a restaurant im happy but at the same time im afraid..i would like to know how is the life there cost of apartment, school and more and wich is a good place to rent the apartment?
    Nowdays living and working here is really complicated I cant find i job for 2 years and i m a lawyer so you can imagine what sad is my situacion..
    Thanks to all!!
    Chauuu

New User

Hello Salome providing you have your papers in order it might be a good idea to start networking now for a professional job, for example via LinkedIn dot com . If you expect to find work in Coral Gables why not live there - otherwise I would recommend living on the beach as the public schools are pretty good and you can get away with not owning a car, which is a cost saving that really helps when you are getting yourself established here. Keep a positive outlook and 'make' it happen, you know you can :-)
    Salome likes this.

New User

Thanks Tripti!
    I dont have my papers in order =/ that is a big problem...
    What do you mean exactly with a networking?
    I m trying to be positive i would like too, take a course of real state in spanish but the problem is when i finish what happens if nobody want to (emplearme) i dont remember exactly the word i mean if i dont find a job where i work?? You know if is difficult??
    Thanks for your advice

Right now it is EXTREMELY hard to find work in Miami. Our unemployment rate is higher than most of the Unites States, and even those who speak English and Spanish sometimes take a year to find a job. if at all.

And those are people who have legal paperwork. Without legal paperwork your employment options are going to be very limited. And not high paying at all. So living in Coral Gables or Miami Beach is not going to be an option. You will likely have to move to Little Havana - at best - and possible even as far as Homestead. If you don't have a car you will be reliant on our public transportation system, which is not very good.

I advise everyone - never move here unless you already have a job. It's a very expensive place to live. And without a job and papers? Stay where you are.
    rk likes this.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    Thanks Tripti!
    I dont have my papers in order =/ that is a big problem...
    What do you mean exactly with a networking?
    I m trying to be positive i would like too, take a course of real state in spanish but the problem is when i finish what happens if nobody want to (emplearme) i dont remember exactly the word i mean if i dont find a job where i work?? You know if is difficult??
    Thanks for your advice
    'Networking' is what what your friend in Coral Gables is doing for you, there are sites to do this online, meet other lawyers etc. But without papers it will be very difficult to get a professional job - you would have to get sponsored first (e.g. via H1B visa). I guess everything is relative. People do seem to be getting by here doing manual labor and sending money home every month. And I've yet to see a hispanic looking homeless person. But yes, the correct advice is do it legally.
    Last edited by Tripti; 08-28-2012 at 02:14 AM.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Right now it is EXTREMELY hard to find work in Miami. Our unemployment rate is higher than most of the Unites States, and even those who speak English and Spanish sometimes take a year to find a job. if at all.

And those are people who have legal paperwork. Without legal paperwork your employment options are going to be very limited. And not high paying at all. So living in Coral Gables or Miami Beach is not going to be an option. You will likely have to move to Little Havana - at best - and possible even as far as Homestead. If you don't have a car you will be reliant on our public transportation system, which is not very good.

I advise everyone - never move here unless you already have a job. It's a very expensive place to live. And without a job and papers? Stay where you are.
    Thanks so much Matt!
    My husband has a work there they are waiting for him but without a sponsor yet.
    Why coral gables is not going to be an option?
    Waiting for your answer..

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Tripti View Post
    'Networking' is what what your friend in Coral Gables is doing for you, there are sites to do this online, meet other lawyers etc. But without papers it will be very difficult to get a professional job - you would have to get sponsored first (e.g. via H1B visa). I guess everything is relative. People do seem to be getting by here doing manual labor and sending money home every month. And I've yet to see a hispanic looking homeless person. But yes, the correct advice is do it legally.
    Hi Tripti and thanks!
    We dont live bad in Argentina but I cant find a work since a long time! and we dont have enough money to apply for a visa eb-5.
    Do you think that if i dont have papers could learn the course of real state?
    Hugs

Coral Gables is very expensive. And jobs that you don't need paperwork to get don't pay enough to live in Coral Gables. Hence it not being an option.

And even though you weren't asking me, you might be able to take the real estate course without paperwork, but you could never do any work in real estate as, again, you would not legally be allowed to work. And if someone can find a legal way to screw you out of your commission (like, for example, you're not legally in the country) they will. And you will do all that work for no money.

New User

You can do the coursework but you cannot take the test. You need a valid social security number to take the test and get licensed:

In order to become a sales associate youmust meet the following requirements:
    Social Security Number: You must have aUnited States Social Security number toapply for any real estate license. Contactthe Social Security Administration fordetails on how to apply for a socialsecurity number.
    Education: Must hold a high schooldiploma or its equivalent.
    Pre-license education: Must completeand pass a Florida Real EstateCommission approved 63-hour SalesAssociate pre-licensing course.

Source:
    http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/re/documents/FREC_FAQs_092012.pdf

H1B is the only valid option I see. But seriously, if you don't live bad in Argentina, why make the move? It is one of my favorite countries in the world!

The only jobs i know where paperwork is not a must are restaurant jobs, and those have low pay and high turn over rates. A\side from that private cleaning services, or nanny work are the only things that come to mind. Also restaurants that are flexible with paperwork are in downtown or the beach, you will not find many lenient restaurants in Coral Gables. You could look to live in Little Havana (very affordable) and work in downtown/Brickell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12