Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Son relocating to Miami very soon, need help finding area to live quickly

New User

Default Son relocating to Miami very soon, need help finding area to live quickly

I am trying to help my young professional single son, who is being relocated for his job, find an appt. He lives in San Antonio,Tx. and I am in Long Island NY. I have been reading the threads and I think South Beach or mid beach sounds good. I have seen many places on line that look beautiful and have name of some buildings but don't know if they are good buildings for him. Also if his territory is North Miami,how would commute be? Thx

Default Re: Son relocating to Miami very soon, need help finding area to live quickly

From Mid or South Beach that commute is nothing. 20 minutes, probably. Less at off hours.

What's his budget, though?

Default Re: Son relocating to Miami very soon, need help finding area to live quickly

If he has a car, he can live in most places in North Miami. Is his job on the mainland or include the beaches area?

My favorite place right now is Hollywood beach. This is at the bottom of Broward county but right next to North Miami. It has gorgeous beaches, high rise apartments and a nice mix of families and young people to live near.

New User

He wants a one bedroom, would like to cap at $1800. He has to move in the next couple of weeks and start immediately. Some people he knows told him to move to Brickell. After reading about it(all high risers) ,if you are in Florida,why not live at the beach. I was thinking maybe get a furnished apt.,condo for short term to see if he likes area. He will have some time to look and furnish his own apartment. How does that sound? He needs quiet because he will be working out of apt.

New User

Are there young single professionals living in Hollywood? How about night life? He also is into working out,any gyms in area?

If he can spend 1800 a month, yeah, look at South Beach or Mid-Beach. It'll be a lot more fun and you meet better people .Brickell SUCKS, especially if you are American. Very snobby and not welcoming. Crowded, bad nightlife. Just not a fun area and overrated by a lot of young professionals.

Midtown is a lot better, and cheaper, than Brickell, if you want the urban highrise experience. And it's sort of the "in" place for American young professionals now. Although again if you can afford $1800 a month, go ahead and move to South Beach. It's the quintessential Miami experience and if he can balance work and partying he'll love it.

North Miami is a bad area. Do not move there.

Hollywood beach is nice, but a longer (and unpleasant) commute south to North Miami. The traffic flows south in the morning and north at night, so the commute will be much better from the Beach.

New User

Thanks Matt, the south Miami rep told him that Brickell is the heart of his territory, and that living at the beach is nice but coming and going would be a pain. Is that accurate. Do you think he could get a short term furnished apt./condo in South Beach or mid beach?

I live in Hollywood Beach and love it night life is good cheaper than South Beach and very concentrated around whee I live but not too much so that it is a problem. I love this area and I get to Homestead (way south in 40 mins) I get to North Miami in about 10 maybe 15 minutes. And I live right on the ocean.

Hollywood to Homestead in 40 minutes. Really. Going 80 I found it hard to get from South Beach to Metrozoo in that much time, even early in the morning. North Miami in 15 is believable if it's not rush hour.

That little dispute aside, yes short term furnished rentals are easy to get in South Beach, mainly due to its transient population. If North Miami is your son's territory, though, that's nowhere near North Miami. So I'm a little confused. And getting to and from the Beach isn't TOO bad if you go during the right times and live relatively close to one of the causeways.

Hi zbeach!

I would also recommend South Beach. This way, when he is off, he can walk everywhere, including to the beach, and not worry about parking.

Whether his territory is Brickell or North Miami, both are easy to get to from South Beach. I used to work North when I lived in South beach, and it was a super-easy commute. All major highways are very accessible to South Beach.

I was thinking maybe get a furnished apt.,condo for short term to see if he likes area. He will have some time to look and furnish his own apartment. How does that sound? He needs quiet because he will be working out of apt.
    I think this is a good idea. He may find once he arrives he prefers other areas as he gets his bearings.

Gus and I lived and worked from home in South Beach for a few years. Some apartments are definitely noisier than others. I recommend a smaller building on a side street, such as Euclid, Michigan, Jefferson, and numbered streets like 2 through 4 or 7 through 13. The other option is a high rise on West Ave (NOT the Flamingo - way too many noise issues). West Ave is the opposite side of the island from the beach but with a bike (necessity if living in South Beach), he can get there quickly.

@ Matt well I get from my Hollywood to the edges of Homestead in about 40 mins I take I95 to 826 and you know on the 826 if you are not doing at least 70 you're gonna get rearended and I have not driven in the rush hour time you may have a point I do all in my power to not have to drive when the traffic is thick. I get to Cutler Ridge from Hollywood EASILY in 40 mins even with some traffic Homestead well when I go there it is late so I may speed a bit.

Brickell is not that bad. I like the nightlife, it's just lower key than ridiculous south beach. Blackbird ordinary is the coolest bar I've been to in Miami in a while.

I do think though, if you are moving to Miami, move to the beach. Driving to work is no big deal. Driving to the beach on a day off in traffic would really become annoying.

Find me ten Americans on a night out in Brickell (who you don't know) and I"ll gladly buy you a Gluten Free beer, Jess.

Dylan, we'll have to do the ride sometime. Until then we can agree to disagree.
    Christy and dylan like this.

New User

Matt are you saying North Miami is far from south beach? He got the position and has to start on August 13! His company relocation service is helping him with the move. They have several options for him in South Beach and Mid Beach. They are flying him down on Aug. 8 for a few days so hopefully he will have time to see some apts/condos. Thanks for the help but the search is still on. How is the West Ave area? I know some one mentioned that area and it seems to have some nice buildings. Just would like a building with young professionals and quiet.

West Ave is all high rises full of young professional people. This would be perfect for him in that the location to everything like freeways, beach, restaurants is good. North Miami is no near South Beach, you would have to drive.

Matt, Brickell is where my friends live and go out! I will find ten Americans

I feel like any part of the beach can get to North Miami fairly quickly. But it does depend on the time of day you are driving ideally I would think mid to North beach would be the easiest commute with South beach and Hollywood being a little further away. But the drive is all relative I have had long commutes for work and I would not conisder a drive from the beach to North Miami a long drive at all.

@ Matt we'll do the drive, but I better be driving because I know I make the drive in that time. And every time i hear the "Babe you got here fast..." from my girlfriend who lived down south. lol

New User

Thanks so much for info, if you ever lived and drove in metro NY at rush hour, now that is traffic. He went to school in NYC so he won't be bothered by traffic. I think he will be leaving a little later than rush hour

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    And every time i hear the "Babe you got here fast..." from my girlfriend who lived down south. lol
    She wasn't talking about your driving, Dylan.

OOOOOHHHHHH!!!! YES I WENT THERE!!!!!!!!

My, what a spirited discussion!

I'm a South Beach & Brickell Realtor and I'd be glad to help your son.

A short term, 6 month furnished rental could be a good option before signing a year lease someplace...

Brickell is very nice, but like Matt said, its not a huge American area right now..but the buildings & amenities are 5 star...South Beach is a great vibe for people of all ages...and yes, if you are moving to South Florida, you might as well live by the beach. Why else pay higher prices for things if you dont live by the main reason everything is so expensive??

Send me a message with your details and I'll get moving on possible places for him...keep in mind associations take 1 to 2 weeks to approve...

Marc Middleton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast