Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Sticker and Shock on Miami Insurance

I just finished talking to my insurance agent about the cost of auto insurance in Miami. The rate for medical on my auto jumped up by 4x vs. the Midwest. I was shocked and asked him why, he said it's because there is a lot of medical insurance fraud in Miami, where people will get in an accident with you on purpose, and then use fraudulent doctors to sue your insurance for fake medical bills.

It was pretty shocking, and quite frankly, a little scary.

How common is this?

Default Re: Sticker and Shock on Miami Insurance

Hi Zeamaize,

Car insurance is definitely expensive here, though I've never heard that reason. I've heard it's because we are always getting in accidents.

You most definitely need to shop around. The company that worked for you in the midwest may not be the best company to stay with here. You should have "0" loyalty to any insurance companies here. Our policies only last 6 months, and it is best for your pocket to shop around every 6 months. They WILL raise your rates every 6 months, and if you don't pay attention, you will be paying hundreds more before you realize it (even if you don't have accidents or tickets).

I've had Progressive, AllState, 21st Century, and now I'm at Esurance (now owned by AllState but hundreds less).

Hope this helps!

New User

Right now we're looking at about $210/month, which is a huge hike over the $60/month we had been paying.

They seriously raise your rates each month? We've never seen a rate hike in Illinois.

Insurance companies here are a lot less scupulous than elsewhere, probably because there is so much insurance fraud by the population. LIke, if you're going to screw us, we're going to screw you. It's a constant war.

Why i don't even bother with it. That's another reason rates here are so high, as significant part of the population is uninsured. So the UIM coverage is a good idea if you value your car. I myself do not value my cars. You can also look into maintaining your insurance in IL, and keeping your cars registered there. A significant savings, and not at all an uncommon practice down here. Shady? Yes. Welcome to Miami.