Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Best Brickell bars for non-Spanish speakers

Recently moved to Brickell and have been testing out the nightlife in the area. I must say that as a non-Spanish speaker, I feel like a foreigner in most Brickell establishments. At bars this is amplified. I have all intentions of improving my Spanish, but in the mean time, does anyone know any Brickell bars that are popular with the non-Spanish speaking crowd? I heard Blackbird Ordinary has a less exclusionary feel to it. I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone had some suggestions. Also, does downtown Miami have the same feel as Brickell, and is Coral Gables more a college scene?

Thank you!

Default Re: Best Brickell bars for non-Spanish speakers

Yeeeeeah. Bottom line Brickell sucks if you're not Hispanic. I go out there and find it depressing.

Tobacco Road, on South Miami Ave. just north of 8th street is your best bet. Oldest liquor license in Dade County and a lot of Americans still go there. Def. a great place for non Spanish-speakers.

The Irish bars all play Spanish music, so most of those are out. Fado was ok when it first opened, but I'm not sure how it is now.

I've aldo heard good things about Blackbird. Report back and let us know.

Otherwise, try Midtown or Wynwood or South Beach to not feel so excluded.

I am glad you mentioned Blackbird Ordinary as I was about to suggest it. Wicked fun bar, off the beaten track. The Dj plays a mash up of music from the 80s, 90s and now and the drinks aren't crazy expensive. The tables have board games to play and the crowd is not Hispanic. I like it there, my first choice for a night out in Brickell.

Transit Lounge is ok closer to Tobacco Road pretty laid back and not to many hispanics. Last time I went to Fado they were playing spanish music and all so I think they went to the latin side some what.

Is Transit still open? That place is fun but obnoxiously loud if the wrong band is on. Can't hear anyone.

I would also check out Blue Martini. It's got a pretty good mix of latin and american crowds. Music is pretty diverse too.

Yea, Matt is correct to a good extent. Alone, Brickell is not fun to hang out in if you're not Latin. However, if you're going out in a crowd, it's fun. I have a much better time going out alone on the beach and meet much more interesting people there. Generally, I find that most of the Latins (not US born) in Brickell are pretty snobby and don't take too well in opening up to and socializing with people from other cultures.