Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Glimpse of Southe Pointe Pier

rk, fredgarvin and GandJ like this.

Default Re: Glimpse of Southe Pointe Pier

Slightly futuristic, but a new pier would be welcome.

Great post BO!! Thanks!

This project and the connection of the south point beachwalk to the walk north of 5th (on the ocean side) are 2 long anticipated projects that will greatly enhance the sofi area.

RK provided links on both these projects a couple years ago which lead you to 'blueprints.' Its great to see the renderings!

Now, if they can just get a plan together for the beachwalk on the bay side from just south of fifth to points northward...........

A beach walk on the bayside would be impossible I think, due to all the high rises owning their properties as far up as the water.

The prospect and renderings of the pier are quite exciting and so Miami appropiate.

I prefer concrete over wooden. It might suprise Matt that I hate the Santa Monica Pier. It's such a clutter you know what, hower the wooden one at Cocoa Beach is quite appropiate.

During my FL travels, my favorite pier is the one at Anna Maria. Could this be a hint of what the one in Miami might look like over turquoise waters ? ......

Name:  DSCN0946.jpg
Views: 4615
Size:  182.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 09-15-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    mirna, rk and GandJ like this.

Looks very cool. I see where you are with the SM pier, Blackford. I love it but I could see where one might not find it so appealing since it is in fact pretty cluttered. I'm looking forward to this one in South Pointe, though.

rk

That's good news. Hope it'll be finished by the end of 2013.

I happened to walk by the City paint shop and saw them working on rules for the new pier.

Name:  Pier-Rules-01m.JPG
Views: 1229
Size:  144.2 KB

It was interesting to read the fine print at the very bottom:

Name:  Pier-Rules-02v.JPG
Views: 486
Size:  9.6 KB
    Last edited by rk; 09-16-2012 at 04:16 AM.

rk

A continuous Baywalk from south pointe to Lincoln Road is another great idea, and has been proposed since at least the 90's if not earlier. A lot of work has been done. It was held up for a while by a lawsuit filed by Flamingo, but that was settled a couple of years ago. You can see the current status with pictures at this link:

http://tinyurl.com/98mkcjb

(the link points to a pdf file)

Exclamation Hey Jess..........

Jess,

Clearly the baywalk is a more challenging project, but it has been discussed and referenced here before. The 5th street crossing is another major challenge.......but, I think you'll agree WHAT A WONDERFUL PROJECT if it could be completed!!!

Thanks for this outstanding link RK!

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    A continuous Baywalk from south pointe to Lincoln Road is another great idea, and has been proposed since at least the 90's if not earlier. A lot of work has been done. It was held up for a while by a lawsuit filed by Flamingo, but that was settled a couple of years ago. You can see the current status with pictures at this link:

http://tinyurl.com/98mkcjb

(the link points to a pdf file)
    You may ALSO recall, the pier AND the completion of the oceanwalk south of 5th, thought by some to be impossible, were previously discussed here and supporting documents were referenced by RK! (thanks again RK)

(BTW RK nice semi-private dock for YOURSELF!)

Default Re: Hey Jess..........

I was right though. Many of those high rises will not be giving up their land for a beach walk. However, I read now that the plans are for the city to go above water and build the walk on the bay, rather than through properties, which makes sense. Gonna be a long time though, if you read the PDF many condos have yet to give authorization to anything.

According to the article, the aim is to finish sometime in 2014.

When I visit Miami Beach, the extreme southern end is usually were we set up. This is exciting.

Next project I like to see moving is renovation of Marine Stadium.

A nice pier and outdoor water venue is all ask from Miami, adding to the quaility of our lives in the Magic City.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 09-16-2012 at 10:28 AM.

This looks great I would love to see the finished product. I really like the futuristic look Jess mentioned.

Default Re: Hey Jess..........

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I was right though. Many of those high rises will not be giving up their land for a beach walk. However, I read now that the plans are for the city to go above water and build the walk on the bay, rather than through properties, which makes sense. Gonna be a long time though, if you read the PDF many condos have yet to give authorization to anything.

I am not a lawyer, but I think its a question of riparian rights.

Private property usually ends a certain distance from the low water line, so condos can fight it, but in most cases, they will loose as the actual shoreline is public land.

I bet RK either knows for sure or owns the riparian rights.

I think cost will be the major factor.

rk

Sadly, fred, as a basement tenant in a building two blocks from the ocean I don't have any riparian rights. Still waiting to get my rights to running warm water acknowledged.

The City has the upper hand when it comes to the baywalk. Other than the Flamingo lawsuit, the main thing holding things up is the expense, as you astutely observed. It's just more expensive to build a pathway over water, and in some cases that is the only feasible thing due to lack of space. The Flamingo lawsuit, settled out of court in late 2009, offers a glimpse into how the city is getting it done. In that case there was enough space for an onshore baywalk, but the land was owned by Flamingo, which refused to let the city build on it. The settlement (letting the city build a public baywalk on Flamingo property) was reached after the city agreed to issue a "certificate of occupancy" for the Flamingo Center Tower (which must have been needed after the extensive renovations after 2006), plus a few other lesser items. Obviously the city can make it very expensive for a business like Flamingo to operate by withholding or delaying permits. In the case of the Mondrian, the city got the baywalk concession as part of issuing the hotel permit, and even got the Mondrian to pay for that section.

Thanks RK!

As I understood, a MAJOR problem centered on crossing 5th at the bay.

Have you heard of any proposals?

I figure I will be long gone from Miami before this thing is ever built!

I think it looks great, and sounds great but I also do not see this structure being built any time soon.

rk

fred, all the proposals I've heard mentioned the last few years have centered around a pedestrian overpass. They will have to provide for bike and handicap access with a ramp or elevator. I think state approval is also needed because 5 street is a state highway. There are no concrete designs or dates to my knowledge, probably pending completion of more of the baywalk north of fifth, plus funding. I don't think this will be the major bottleneck once the rest is nearly done.

A continuous baywalk from south pointe to Lincoln Road will be a major boost for south beach, esp the West Ave/Alton Rd corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    I think it looks great, and sounds great but I also do not see this structure being built any time soon.
    dylan, per the link by Blackford the pier seems like a sure thing by 2014, unless you meant the baywalk, that will take a few more years.

Sorry rk, I did mean the baywalk the pier looks solid so I figured they make a lot of head way on that project.

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    If you build it.....HE will come.......

Thanks, as always, for all the good info RK!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast