Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default How much money should I save before moving to Miami?

Hi My name is Leo and I was wondering how much money should I start saving up between now and the end of the year in order to move to Miami? I will be driving there by car from North Carolina. Can I find a apartment for a good price even though I have bad credit? My Last Question is, I am trying to find a job before I move but it is hard because i don't actually live there yet. Do you know anything I could do or say in order to find work before i move there?

Thanks

Hi Leo,

That's a big question! Here are some links to previous posts about moving to Miami and rental costs:

http://forums.miamibeach411.com/inde...viewthread/75/

http://forums.miamibeach411.com/inde...viewthread/41/

Bad credit isn't usually an issue as landlords nromally ask for 1st, last, and security. You should have at least $3,000 just for rental costs if you're planning on getting your own apartment.

What is it that you do for work? Let us know and perhaps we can offer some recommendations.

Also, when are you thinking about moving?

New User

I just got out of college, I am looking for something in the Management field. I am Thinking of moving Like December 27. I was maybe thinking of just staying in a hotel while I work so I can save up enough money.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi Leo, I'm happy you found us. That Yahoo Answers stuff works!

Save as much money as you can. I say a minimum of $3,500 is necessary, not including the $700 you will spend driving here.

I was in your same situation when I moved to Miami from Los Angeles back in 1992. I drove here with no job, or place to live. I found an inexpensive Motel 6 up in Dania, FL (which is about 35 minutes North of Miami) and hit the streets running.

My first priority was to find a job. I figured after I found employment, I'd find an apartment.

The two best resources for finding jobs and apartments in Miami are Craiglist and Backpage. Unfortunately, they are both filled with lots of spam so you will need to weed through the lists daily.

There is also a weekly newspaper here called the New Times; that can be a good resource too. If you want me to send you a copy of the New Times, just private message me a mailing address.

I'd suggest starting your search 60 days before your plan to move.

What kind of Management position are you looking for?

The good thing about finding a job in Miami is: there's not much competition. If you are personable and have a good command of the English language, finding a job here is pretty easy.

The bad thing about Miami's job market is: there are not so many high paying jobs here.

Restaurant jobs are some of the most coveted, highest paying jobs in the City. A good waiter gig can earn you between $150 and $300 per night.

As far as things you can say in order to find work before you move here, "Hola, yo estoy bilingual" will come in very handy.

Good luck. Feel free to continue this discussion, or ask another question, and we'll do our best to find an answer for you.

New User

I am looking for a office Management job hopefully. If I can't find anything there maybe a Resturant or a store manager job. I may be able to save about $1200 so I can move there. I think I may just work a month and stay in a hotel so I can save about $3,000 up.

New User

Thanks a lot for your informative posts

maison de credit

$5000 would make your life easiest, especially if you are looking for an office job. If you want to come down and just snag a job waiting tables or some such, you would need much less. But finding a "regular" job these days is tooooooooough.

Coach is ABSOLUTELY right. I think $5000 is the bare minimum you need considering you will need to put down 3 months rent wherever you find an apt. and then need money to live on. When I moved back in 2005, I had a free place to live and came with about 5 grand. It lasted me roughly 2 months, and anyone who knows me knows I go out on the cheap.

Finding a job here if you don't speak Spanish can be very difficult. If you speak Spanish, you will eventually be able to find something. However, if you do not, an office management-type job is a serious long shot, given you will likely be managing Spanish-speakers (yes, even in an office! This is not LA). So if Spanish is not on your resume, I would suggest looking in Broward where that requirement is not so high.

But it is best to move here with a bare minimum of $5000 (I'd say 7, to be safe) and then find a job. People are not big on hiring folks from out of state here, unless they bring something to the table that nobody else here has.

Matt,

I know it's tuff competing in Miami if you don't speak spanish, but what are my chances considering I speak portuguese? Do you know in what area this may be useful? Any info would be great.

Portuguese is useful given the large Brazilian population here, and it is similar to Spanish, so you could probably pick Spanish up pretty easily.

Perhaps a company that does a lot of business with Brazil would find you useful. And we have plenty of those. Or anywhere really that does a lot with South America. That being said, again, if you are in management and will be dealing with Spanish-speaking employees a lot, Espanol is pretty crucial.

Hey Rewind

There is a fairly large Brazilian population down here, so Portuguese is an asset, as long as it's Brazilian Portuguese! Right now admin/office manager jobs are pretty scarce. Many places have been cutting those positions, and the ones that do exist are going to go to people employers know. Unfortunately there's alot of nepotism in the job market down here. I would recommend trying to get a retail sales or restaurant job while you are searching.

That being said, Coach is right, you want to get about $5,000 saved. And I would recommend an extended stay type hotel over a regular one, since daily rates are pretty expensive. You may want to search Craigslist for vacation rentals too, sometimes they have extended rentals there.

Preferred Member

I agree i think 5k is a good number , if not more since you have to pay deposits for your apartment, and there is no guarantee that you will find a job right away! Considering the studios are at least $750 ! And then you have to eat and get around and maybe pay deposits to get your power turned on. I have a job but i wonder myself if that would be even enough for me...

I'm not expert but arent only like ghetto places the ones that dont check credit? they didnt for my new house

I would say that you have to look at the bills you currently get each month. (cell phone, health insurance, car insurance, car payment, student loan, etc).
    Add that up..

Then factor in: groceries, going out for dinner/drinks/clubs, clothing, personal things..

Factor in your "exploratory trip" to come look at apartments and hand out a few resumes, and if you're lucky enough-go on some interviews.

Will you need to furnish your apartment?? That usually equals one month's rent.
    Then add in 3 months rent. And then try not to cry.

Sungal, that made me giggle...
    But it is true... not to be down on my fav city but living in Miami is more expensive than living in London.

Hey Leo,

We are on the same boat. My hubby and I will be relocating in December this year, and plan on bringing 10-15K. This will be enough for us to keep the same lifestyle we have here for 5-6 months. You need to budget how much your montly expenses are and then multiply that by at leatst 3, since it may take you at least 3 months to find a job.

One advice, besides saving as much as you can, get yourself a restaurant or retail job as soon as you get to Miami, and then use your free time to find the job want. The retail/restaurant job will not only help you financially, but it will give you the opportunity to meet new people and so far, all of the jobs I have had, I have gotten thanks to a friend who had a friend, if ya know why I mean.

BTW, as long as you have food, shelter and transportation, you'll be fine. Clubs, going out for dinner are not a priority specially when you are new to a place and are in a budget. If however you do feel the neccesity for enjoyment, like any human being will, remember that you will be in Miami. There's nothing better than a walk in the beach, and best of all is totally free.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    Sungal, that made me giggle...
    But it is true... not to be down on my fav city but living in Miami is more expensive than living in London.
    Jess, that is not true. Living in SOUTH BEACH may be more expensive, but you pay a gross markup on everything out there. Living in Miami, Miami? That's on par with any major city where you'd want to live. Cheaper than New York, LA, Boston, San Fran, San Diego, Orange County, Chicago and some others.

Well im going to johannesburg, South Africa...for college... Now thats cheap if you have american money that is 1$to 5-6 rands

Congrats rijan! One post you're dropping out of HS and another you're planning college...

What are you going to study?

Preferred Member

when i went to london everything was sooo expensive!! Miami is definitely cheaper than chicago and ny, i agree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast