Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default 22 Year Old from up North

Hey guys,

I'm just starting my career and the HQ is based in Miami, about an 8 minute drive from FIU's main campus (50k - 60k salary). I'm 22 years old, African American & Puerto Rican (Can't speak Spanish but understand enough when spoken to) from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and plan on moving down to Florida by March 2013 at the latest. I'm looking for my age group, nightlife, parties etc. (Ethnicity doesn't really matter too much, love all types of women).

The twist is A) I don't necessarily ever have to go into the actual HQ Site in Miami, but wanted to be in a reasonable distance just in case (let's say maybe once every 2 weeks) and B) The job requires me to travel Monday through Thursday about 50%-75% of the time (so I need to be relatively close to an airport) so the only time I would be home is the weekends. Basically I've been contemplating between living expense, my desires in social life, location, whether or not to get a car etc. As for the traffic and crazy drivers, I've seen them for myself and thought they were pretty bad...then I went to Budapest for a couple of months and it made me miss Florida's drivers.

I know this is can be a broad question, but what would you advise? Would you recommend even moving down to FL from PA at all? Hopefully I provided enough information for quality feedback. Thanks.
    Last edited by Alex7; 09-30-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Default Re: 22 Year Old from up North

If you have a job and it's going to pay that much, yeah go for it. Worst that happens is you hate it and go back. And you seem pretty open to Latin culture, which will be essential. Just know Miami is more like living in another country than it is a warmer part of the US. So if you can handle that, then why not? At 22 this is almost a no-brainer.

I'd recommend looking at either South Beach or midtown to live. The rents are comparable, as are the distances to MIA (don't even bother flying out of FLL if you can help it. The cost savings is rarely worth the hassle, especially if the company is paying). There's the most younger people there and chances to meet friends, dates. etc.

Id' ask where the corporate headquarters is, but if you rarely have to go in there it doesn't much matter. The commutes here are what can ruin the lifestyle, but if you're just traveling all the time it's relevant/ Even if it takes you an hour to get to HQ, if you only do it twice a month you may as well live somewhere fun.

Good luck and let us know when you need more info.

Actually I far prefer FLL airport. Much easier to deal with and less people. But, as you are 22, you might prefer living in South Beach. Are you able to come down and check it out here before you move?

New User

Yes the company does pay for flights so picking an airport won't be limited to finances. As for getting a vehicle, you still think it'd be necessary for my situation?

I've only flown out of and into the Ft. Lauderdale airport and never Miami's. Now I like having the option of either one for flexibility, but can you further explain the differences between the two?

Thanks for answering some of my concerns though. Wasn't sure if I was financially qualified to live comfortably in Florida. Since this is my first job & place that I will be getting, can you guys give me an example of about how much I should expect to spend monthly on living expenses and rent (both assuming that I won't be home on weekdays and if I were to be home weekly since travel isn't always required)?

Miami is a much bigger, international airport. Which seems like it would be a disadvantage, but it has the place trained to handle big crowds. I find the security lines move much faster ,as do the bag check and check-in lines. Lauderdale, unless you're flying Virgin or something seems to not do well during peak times.

Also, getting there and back is a MAJOR hassle. People kinda resent you asking for rides and a cab is about $85, which offsets and cost savings. And forget about public transportation...

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/tri-rail-fll

You WILL need a car, for sure. Not only for getting to and from the airport, but for exploring South Florida. I mean, you can live without one, but it limits your weekends to whatever place you decide to live. And even if that's South Beach, trust me after a while it gets old and you'll want to explore more of the city. And again, since you're making decent money you can afford it. Just make sure you live somewhere with parking.

Your cost of living will depend greatly on where you decide to live, and how nice a place you want. Figure for a 1 BR in South Beach between $1200-$1600 a month in rent. Then another $150-$200 for power and cable/internet. Going out here is expensive, figure about $100 a night for a good night. More if you are going to the nice clubs ($200-250, again to have a good time). Eating cheap means about $10-15 a meal. Going to restaurants will be $30-50. Groceries are what they'd be anywhere, so not much advice on that.

Gas is about $4 a gallon on the Beach right now, cheaper inland. Laundry will cost you $10 a week if you dont have a machine in your apartment. Cell phone is the same as anywhere.

Car insurance is up to you. Personally, I don't carry it but if you do it's about double what you're paying now.

Go ahead and total that up, but you're looking in the range of $4500-$5000 a month to live comfortable and really enjoy this place. It can be done for less, but that seems about your income so you're good to go.