Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: Renting Taxes/Rates?

New User

Default Renting Taxes/Rates?

Hey Guys,

So my visa finally came through and I will be moving to Miami in early December. My company are going to put me up in a corporate apartment for the first month but after that I'll need to find my own place.

Just have a quick question on renting properties in Miami...is there any additional monthly taxes or rates applicable when renting that are not included in the advertised monthly fee? For example in the UK I pay my monthly rent plus utility fees plus council tax - council tax basically covers water charges, refuse collection etc. Is there anything similar I should be budgeting for when looking at properties?

Thanks,
    Dermot

Default Re: Renting Taxes/Rates?

It depends on the apartment. Most include water (the owner of the building pays it) and some include electricity. If they don't you'll need to set that up yourself with the individual utility companies. It's not a tax so much as it is paying for a product/service.

SO find out what's included when you're looking at an apartment. If electricity is not included, figure $80-150 a month for that, depending on how much you use.

Congrats on the move!

Council tax does not exist here, THANK GOD!!! There are property taxes, but the owner pays, not the renter. Depending on where you rent, you will have to pay rent, maybe cable and possibly electric. Maybe gas if your apt uses it, but I have never lived in an apt with gas. My first 2 apts were utilities included, so you may get lucky and only have one rent check.

If you do have to pay electric, you have no credit as a newbie to the country, so you may have to put down a deposit to get the service hooked up.

Cable and internet have always been included in every building I lived in.

Try and look to see if these things are included. It will make your life easier when you move.

Just to qualify what Jess just said about Cable and Internet, SOME buildings will include this. Many will not. So always check on that too, it's not like a common thing. You may well have to put down a deposit for that too.

I'd say about 80% of the buildings in South Beach include only water & sewer, no cable/internet. Only duplexes & houses make you pay water yourself.

I'd say if its a high rise (10+ Stories), cable is usually included and sometimes your Air conditioning (1250 West Ave, 1000 West), etc.

I'd say if its a high rise in Downtown/Brickell, it includes water, cable, parking, and possibly Internet. Those buildings have tons of amenities and most of your utitilies are included.

You only pay tax on rent if you have a short lease (1-5 months).

If its a furnished rental, the owner may require you to get a Renter's Insurance policy (HO6) to cover their stuff. Its cheap (about $50 every 3 -6 months). But usually you don't have to get this and you take the risk of losing your stuff to fire/theft/disaster.
    rk likes this.

New User

Thanks All - Very useful info as usual!