Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default 19 year old male RELOCATING

Im 19 year old Male that lives in Atlanta im thinking about going to get my bar-tending license and moving down to south beach i have nothing and i just graduated from high school im looking to start school when i arrive but fear my age wont let me get in a club to make alot of cash. any suggestions?

Default Re: 19 year old male RELOCATING

I never knew you need a license to be a bartender? I do think you need to be 21+ in some jurisdictions.

Glenn

Default Re: 19 year old male RELOCATING

Well, the good news for you is that you only need to be 18 to work in a bar here. Sadly, that's about where the good news ends.

You actually don't need a license to be a bartender. Hell, you don't even need to know how to make a drink. What you DO have to know is people in the nightlife industry. Otherwise, you're going to be in line behind about 200 people with more experience and more connections than you looking for a job.

My recommendation would be to go to bartending school down here since they will actually place you with some kind of bartending job after you finish (this may take a month or so, but they keep tipping you off to places that are hiring until you catch on). That way you get your foot in the door and can get on somewhere slow, make connections, and move on to greener pastures.

HOWEVER....that involves moving here without a job. Which is a terrible idea unless you have about $10,000 in the bank. I mean, you can make the move with $5000, but it'll be VERY difficult and you will find yourself never going out and eating Cheerios for dinner. I'd say it'll take 6 months to a year to get on somewhere you can make a living, and that's assuming you're good. That's not even counting what you'd have to pay for school tuition.

If you have a free place to stay or an in with a job, this might be a good idea. Otherwise I'd say save up some cash and make the move once you're a little more financially stable.